🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: No matter what project, Upwork would only...
Page options
3ctechnologies
Community Member

No matter what project, Upwork would only charge 1 connect ?

Is this the right news? and we can also boost our proposals by spending additional connects.Thats heaven for freelancers then..A big thanks to Upwork.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

As many have already pointed out, some of you may have noticed an option to boost proposals by spending additional Connects. This is an anticipated test we plan on releasing soon; however, the curtain was pulled back a little too soon! The features mentioned here will be halted until further notice when this test is ready to roll out. We're working on this new feature and will share all the details when they are finalized prior to launch in September.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

153 REPLIES 153

Jamie F wrote:

It was mentioned in this thread, I've not seen the video myself 
saddam.png

In the video it showed 8 as the most they used in the example (probably not to scare freelancers with numbers such as 200) but I am not sure it said "up to" and the OP of that post was also confused that every post would "cost" 0 connects without boosting when it is actually 1, so I am not confident he is a reliable source.

Fair enough.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

It says all jobs now cost 1 Connect, regardless of size but on my end the cost still varies.

I thought you were done tinkering with the Connects?

And with monetising everything you lay your hands on, cos you also said one can now supercharge a bid by paying more Connects than others. Not exactly the way to go in "democratising" the so-called work marketplace.

I think this feature is gone, looking at a surge in proposals on each job ( spamming the employers).

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I noticed earlier that there seemed to be a lot more proposals than usual and put it down to COVID or something else. 

Now I'm reading... this.

This is... 

Ugh! 

Wut? 

I don't seem to be included in this. 

I mean, I don't want it at all but if I'm not getting the option to boost my post, is it worth my while to look for jobs? Or are my proposals automatically 'boosted' because I'm still spending the usual number of connects?

Jamie F wrote:

I mean, I don't want it at all but if I'm not getting the option to boost my post, is it worth my while to look for jobs? 

I would say: no, it's not.

Jamie F wrote:

Jamie, it was supposed to be rolled out in September. Someone did a big oopsie and set the horrible feature free. They since caught it and rolled it back, ready to be launched as planned in September.

Petra R wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Jamie, it was supposed to be rolled out in September. Someone did a big oopsie and set the horrible feature free. They since caught it and rolled it back, ready to be launched as planned in September.

Thanks, Petra. 

Won't September be fun! 

No. Please, no.

This is not a game.

And what happens if all the bidders spend extra connects? How can everyone be higher at the same time?

Charge more to people who aren't top-rated (or similar) if you need to sell more connects. Or make it cost more if you don't have a plus (or whaver it's currently called) membership. 

I've only just got over my saved searches being hidden in an obscure place and far harder to use. No doubt at some point soon I'll  go for a cup of tea and come back to find the site's all in Klingon.

Kim F wrote:

No. Please, no.

This is not a game.

And what happens if all the bidders spend extra connects? How can everyone be higher at the same time?

Charge more to people who aren't top-rated (or similar) if you need to sell more connects. Or make it cost more if you don't have a plus (or whaver it's currently called) membership. 

I've only just got over my saved searches being hidden in an obscure place and far harder to use. No doubt at some point soon I'll  go for a cup of tea and come back to find the site's all in Klingon.

The "saved searches" have been moved.
I suppose you have already found where they are, but just in case:

Screenshot (2).png

But, if you go to any other section, "Best Matches" for example, they are not kept at the top, so you must go back to "My Feed" to be able to see it again.
Very practical!

Thank you, Maria. I did finally work it out after staring at the page for ages and combing the forum, but maybe that will help another puzzled person.  And the new setup stinks.

I've seen people ask why people bother using the forum. From my point of view, it isn't to make friends, chat, offer an occasional helping hand or any of the things I like from forums. It's because without reading here it's impossible to work out what on earth's going on.

A lot of clients come here and seem to just get one job thats out of their wheelhouse. Can you imagine the new clients coming on here and getting spammed by all the auto responders sending the same message....they would be better to push it the other way so people only bid on work they want rather than the spam mania that this will unleash. 

d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

I saw the news flash in my computer this morning. Right now with my phone, I actually need connects to submit proposals. I hope I'm not on the wrong Upwork websites

Upwork, why not stop giving out free connects when we get interviews, and then everyone will have to buy more connects? That whole thing has led to people posting fake jobs anyway. 

Christine A wrote:

Upwork, why not stop giving out free connects when we get interviews, and then everyone will have to buy more connects? That whole thing has led to people posting fake jobs anyway. 

Yes, if Upwork really needs the money people pay for connects, it should stop giving them away. Making people pay for connects is a good idea in itself, as it's the only way to stop clients getting spammed by hundreds of people with no qualifications for the job. This latest idea just messes the whole thing up. 

David S wrote:
I saw the news flash in my computer this morning. Right now with my phone, I actually need connects to submit proposals. I hope I'm not on the wrong Upwork websites

Vlad let us know earlier today (scroll back in this thread) that it's something they are going to test in September. Somebody launched it this morning by mistake and they stopped it. But evidently we have it to look forward to -- yet another ill-conceived notion that will be tested in live production.

mertiminyo
Community Member

Today, I saw the new feature on Upwork when i apply some job to work. The feature is like that: Every proposal you sent requires 1 connects but if you want to boost your proposal, you need spend more. Then, i applied a job, no need connects to send proposal but now, this feature is not here and i have to spend normal connects for jobs. This is no problem for me but is there anyone that know this new feature and why it is unavailable now.

Thank you all,

Best regards

I noticed the same thing. Maybe they decided to pause the new system.

John D wrote:

I noticed the same thing. Maybe they decided to pause the new system.

No, it seems they accidentally activated it too soon and then stopped it until its scheduled debut next month.

But maybe they'll ditch it now because so many good freelancers are unhappy with it and they always listen to freelancers' opinions. Oh wait...

shetani
Community Member

I think this will just cheapen the platform. As a client, I don't care about seeing proposals that people paid to shove in my face - I don't care how much they want my money or how passionate they are about this excel file I need formatted. I only care about finding the best person to help me out.

I'm not a big client, I don't spend 4-5-6 figures here per month, but if I did and I saw Upwork highlighting unprofessional, unskilled, low JSS, fresh-out-of-school "freelancers" to me, I'd think this platform is absolute garbage.

Ines H wrote:
I think this will just cheapen the platform. As a client, I don't care about seeing proposals that people paid to shove in my face - I don't care how much they want my money or how passionate they are about this excel file I need formatted. I only care about finding the best person to help me out.

I'm not a big client, I don't spend 4-5-6 figures here per month, but if I did and I saw Upwork highlighting unprofessional, unskilled, low JSS, fresh-out-of-school "freelancers" to me, I'd think this platform is absolute garbage.

Good point. My question is, how does the interface look from the client's point of view? Do they see how many connects a freelancer spent? Does the ranking change once he is outbid? Will clients even be aware what influences the ranking? What happens when 30 freelancers bid the same amount? Will established freelancers try desperately to bid, or will newbies with no history and experience outbid the more qualified people? (The answer to my last question is no, and yes.)

(I don't know how to quote on mobile, but this was in response to Martina's comment:
Good point. My question is, how does the interface look from the client's point of view?)
--
I worry that, from client's point of view, there are gonna be spaceships and flames and huge, green, ambiguous messages surrounding the freelancer(s) who paid for the promo.

Leading clients to naturally think "oh wow, this 43% JSS person who specializes in video production is the best Upwork has to offer for my romance novel? Guess I'm out."
vitcher
Community Member

Yes. This is exactly how it will be. Regular clients will leave because Upwork does not respect them, and newbies will get burned on recommended Upwork freelancers with 43% JSS. Facepalm 

The frustration of not knowing the details...

It's like being told "I know something but won't tell you what it is" 

Ines H wrote:
(I don't know how to quote on mobile, but this was in response to Martina's comment:
Good point. My question is, how does the interface look from the client's point of view?)
--
I worry that, from client's point of view, there are gonna be spaceships and flames and huge, green, ambiguous messages surrounding the freelancer(s) who paid for the promo.

Leading clients to naturally think "oh wow, this 43% JSS person who specializes in video production is the best Upwork has to offer for my romance novel? Guess I'm out."

Lol ... spaceships. Yeah, you're right. The average client will have no idea how the ranking is produced, and naturally assume that some clever algorithm has selected the best people for his job, and then recoil in horror. Oh man, this is such a bad idea.... 

Ines H wrote:
but if I did and I saw Upwork highlighting unprofessional, unskilled, low JSS, fresh-out-of-school "freelancers" to me, I'd think this platform is absolute garbage.

I think there will be some indicator for sure to show the profile being shown at the top is "boosted" or promoted or sponsored or some sort of indicator to indicate it.

Upwork will not show the profile of a person if a person has low JSS or does not have enough work in that specialty as the best match. Just the proposal will be pushed at the top of the stack with an indication about being a boosted proposal.

Ashraf K wrote:

Ines H wrote:
but if I did and I saw Upwork highlighting unprofessional, unskilled, low JSS, fresh-out-of-school "freelancers" to me, I'd think this platform is absolute garbage.

I think there will be some indicator for sure to show the profile being shown at the top is "boosted" or promoted or sponsored or some sort of indicator to indicate it.

Upwork will not show the profile of a person if a person has low JSS or does not have enough work in that specialty as the best match. Just the proposal will be pushed at the top of the stack with an indication about being a boosted proposal.

Sure they will. They said it is dependent on how many connects the freelancer bids, neither his JSS or work experience. It's not a best match any longer. It is just spending connects. 

Ashraf K wrote:

What makes you think that? The universally hated "Available Now" thing has no such indication either...

Ashraf K wrote:

Upwork will not show the profile of a person if a person has low JSS or does not have enough work in that specialty as the best match.

Again, where do you that idea from? That isn't true

Ashraf K wrote:

Ines H wrote:

Clients don't spend nearly enough time on Upwork to know or care about what different colors and indicators mean. Clients don't and won't have the slightest clue what the difference is between 100% JSS, top rated, top rated plus, rising talent, available now, best match, and now boosted. All they'll conclude is - these guys have "it", these guys don't, so the ones who have it must be special.

So a small note to our new community VP. 

Start here and fix this mess, and then a few of us might believe in your north star vision - at the moment the guiding light is certainly not present. It is more like being showered by meteorites, pretty to look at,  but in reality,  a sort of (heavenly) dandruff. 

roberty1y
Community Member

How much does this new idea cost Upwork? There are so many things they could devote resources to, such as getting dishonest freelancers and clients off the site. A sleazy ad hiring people to post bogus Trustpilot reviews (prewritten by the client) that I flagged six days ago is still there, last viewed by the client two hours ago.

hamdyahmed90
Community Member

i saw yesterday that i can Apply and make it boosted, now i dont have have that Option .. Why !?

Ahmed H wrote:

i saw yesterday that i can Apply and make it boosted, now i dont have have that Option .. Why !?

Because it is something that was meant to be launched in September and someone messed up and unleashed it by accident. Once they noticed, they turned it off again pretty quickly.

sophia_24
Community Member

I think I saw a pop-up screen yesterday saying that from now on, all jobs ask for ONE connect rather than multiple connects according to the project scale.  It also said that bidding multiple connects would boost my profile up so that clients are more likely to see you.

But the problem is that I have been applying for jobs today and they still need 2-6 connects to apply for them.  Does anyone know if this change has already taken place, or is it to start some day in the future??

Never mind, I found out that it's a system that is to start in September!

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Thank you for the discussion!
We will be sharing more information about this test when we officially launch later this year. We will make sure to get the questions brought up on this thread answered then.

We will continue to gather feedback from multiple channels, including the Community here, and test results to determine the next steps with such features.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

Thank you for the discussion!
We will be sharing more information about this test when we officially launch later this year. We will make sure to get the questions brought up on this thread answered then.

We will continue to gather feedback from multiple channels, including the Community here, and test results to determine the next steps with such features.

But, if you already have the information, why can't you share it so we can judge the idea BEFORE you launch it?
It would really be nice, for once.

Maria T wrote:

But, if you already have the information, why can't you share it so we can judge the idea BEFORE you launch it?

To be fair, in theory anything could work/not work but you need to test it on real data before you can judge if it's good or bad. 

Viacheslav K wrote:

Maria T wrote:

To be fair, in theory anything could work/not work but you need to test it on real data before you can judge if it's good or bad. 

Viacheslav,
In line with the "anything could work" logic, do you think you and the people who dreamed this up would volunteer to jump off the roof to test your theory? Theoretically, that could solve a lot of freelancer issues. But I think The Team would be back revving up the Bad Idea Generator the very next day. 

We really need some signs that people at Upwork are coming up with decent ideas, not just throwing the dice or dreaming up more ill-founded Russian Roulette strategies for the freelancers to test out. 

Because of the nature of the work I do, I end up paying a lot in fees on this platform. A reasonable display of thoughtfulness on the part of the people who force us to have to put up with these types of solutions would be much appreciated. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members