🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Offer from **Edited** a scam?
Page options
david_mcwhite
Community Member

Offer from **Edited** a scam?

I sent in a proposal for a proofreading/editing position. I got a reply that had a link to OneDrive. When I checked my inbox on Upwork, the message was gone and the job had been taken down. I used the link in the email, and it linked to a picture with instructions for connecting with the company on Skype. I did that, was given a PDF with questions, and sent back my responses. They congratulated me on being accepted and then asked for my full name, home address, email address, and phone number. This seems super sketchy, so I'm not planning to move forward. Has anyone else interacted with them or had a similar experience? I've attached the picture I was linked to (the filename has a typo, just like the picture and the document with questions I was sent–I'm guessing they're not native English speakers, which makes me wonder how legit "**Edited for community guidelines**" is).

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

David M wrote:

I sent in a proposal for a proofreading/editing position. I got a reply that had a link to OneDrive. When I checked my inbox on Upwork, the message was gone and the job had been taken down. I used the link in the email, and it linked to a picture with instructions for connecting with the company on Skype. I did that, was given a PDF with questions, and sent back my responses. They congratulated me on being accepted and then asked for my full name, home address, email address, and phone number. This seems super sketchy, so I'm not planning to move forward. Has anyone else interacted with them or had a similar experience? I

It's the ancient fake check scam. The offer also (obviously) didn't come from anyone at the company they claim to be from, (clearly scammers don't use their real name, they use the name of a legitimate business) but rather a random in an Internet Cafe many thousands of miles away in a much warmer clime....

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members