🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Old & new connects system conflict?
Page options
versailles
Community Member

Old & new connects system conflict?

Am I right in assuming that as long as there are still people remaining in the old connects system, it costs them 2 connects to send a proposal, while applying to the exact same posting costs more to users already enrolled in the new system?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
50 REPLIES 50
petra_r
Community Member

Rene K wrote:

Am I right in assuming that as long as there are still people remaining in the old connects system, it costs them 2 connects to send a proposal, while applying to the exact same posting costs more to users already enrolled in the new system?

Yes.

Can someone from Upwork explain please how this is fair for thsoe who were enrolled in the new system?

Taha A wrote:

Can someone from Upwork explain please how this is fair for thsoe who were enrolled in the new system?

There is no way to explain how it is fair, because it isn't fair.

This was another poorly thought out way of doing things, where those who were moved over to the new system are now paying up to 3 x the number of connects to apply to the exact same jobs.

Upwork could (and I would say **** SHOULD****) fix this by leaving all jobs at 2 Connects until everyone has been migrated over, and start charging variable numbers then.

It is obviously unacceptable to have a proportion of freelancers now paying and others still having free connects, to have some people pay $ 1 per Connect, others pay $ 0.15 and so on.

Taha A wrote:

It isn't. Let's just hope the roll-out is finished soon. 

Upwork's explanation as to why it was fair was that they were rolling out the changes by field, so you shouldn't really be in competition with anyone on a different system than you unless you were bidding on something outside your field.

But, I'm a writer and I know a bunch of writers who were switched over quite a while ago and I just got the email the other day.

I don't know if this question has been addressed - but if EU Freelancers buy connects, shouldn't they be paying VAT? How does Upwork get round this? 

Nichola L wrote:

I don't know if this question has been addressed - but if EU Freelancers buy connects, shouldn't they be paying VAT? How does Upwork get round this? 

Good question!
Mods ??

Hi Nichola and Maria,

Thanks for posting this question. Wanted to confirm that VAT/GST will be assessed on Connect purchases in the same way as it was before. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork
jr-translation
Community Member

Rene K wrote:

Or you get stuck in between, pay 15ct per connect, receive the regular "old" 60 connects and have no rollover.

Jennifer R wrote:

Rene K wrote:

Or you get stuck in between, pay 15ct per connect, receive the regular "old" 60 connects and have no rollover.

They said you keep all the connects you have when it hits you. 

Jennifer R wrote:

Rene K wrote:

That should not happen. Is that what happened to you? In fact how can you "receive the old 60 connects" AND "pay 15 per connect?"

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Rene K wrote:

That should not happen. Is that what happened to you? In fact how can you "receive the old 60 connects" AND "pay 15 per connect?"

And how can I cancle Freelancer Plus and am still be in it in the new billing cycle without rollover or being charged?

Screenshot 2019-05-28 11.26.29.pngScreenshot 2019-05-28 11.27.57.png

Jennifer R wrote:

And how can I cancle Freelancer Plus and am still be in it in the new billing cycle without rollover or being charged?

What?

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

What?

According to CS I was downgraded on the 26th while in the new system but according to my profile I am in the Plus plan. I jut drink some more tea and wait until they done. After that I will ask for my rising talent allotment. Smiley Wink

It seems that you are given 60 connects for being top rated, but according to new plan, your old connects should have been rolled over.

Tarpinder S wrote:

It seems that you are given 60 connects for being top rated, but according to new plan, your old connects should have been rolled over.

No, I have a ticket. As you can see from the screenshot these are the regular old connects. That is also the reason why there was no rollover.

The 20 connects have cost me $3.

Screenshot 2019-05-29 17.39.50.png

But as per their email to freelancers, when moving to new system, they will rollover the connects upto 140 regardless of the plan (this is my understanding).

Tarpinder S wrote:

But as per their email to freelancers, when moving to new system, they will rollover the connects upto 140 regardless of the plan (this is my understanding).

Mine as well. I though that UW owes me 16 connects but CS says that I was still in the old system in the 27th.
The screenshot showns my new billing cycle started on the 26th.

On the 14th I received an email that "starting May 20, the Freelancer Plus plan will increase in price to $14.99 per month".

I changed back into the Basic Plan (email confirmation also May 14th) but when I check my account I am still in the Freelancer Plus plan. I did not pay $14.99 nor was there a rollover.

Hi Jennifer R. 

I see that the way your current Membership and upcoming change displays just doesn't seem right. I'll follow up with the team about your report here and in your ticket and we'll get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jennifer R. 

I see that the way your current Membership and upcoming change displays just doesn't seem right. I'll follow up with the team about your report here and in your ticket and we'll get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

It is still messed up. I just lost 80 connects.

Screenshot 2019-06-27 23.34.48.png

As per email by upwork, top rated will be given 60 additional connects and you can roll over upto 140 connects when moved to new plan.

So it seems you have been moved to new plan, but your old connects have not been rolled over.

Jennifer R wrote:

According to CS I was downgraded on the 26th while in the new system but according to my profile I am in the Plus plan. I jut drink some more tea and wait until they done. After that I will ask for my rising talent allotment. Smiley Wink

oh you need something stronger to deal with Upwork bugs. I think I got screwed out of $200 because of a bug after maintenance. I'm silently raging on the inside tbh. I pretend I see green U's in Call of Duty or any type of shooter game when these things happen.

afifield
Community Member

This new way of using connects was not well thought out. I just got put into it and the majority of the jobs I go into now are 6 connects and they are intermediate jobs where clients look like they are not going to be paying much. It isn't worth it to bid at that point. I always have a ton of connects but I can see them going away quickly if I was really trying right now to find stuff especially since people don't get back a lot and leave the job not hiring anyone or it is a scam of some sort, and don't tell me to be selective because half the time there is no way to see something is a scam or that they won't get back to anyone and abandon their jobs. Nothing worth bidding on half the time now anyways too since U. are scaring away most of the good clients by charging them for stuff they had for free before. Unfortunately, because of the change of US only and other changes, it is far harder to find anything of significance as well.

Amanda F wrote:

This new way of using connects was not well thought out. I just got put into it and the majority of the jobs I go into now are 6 connects and they are intermediate jobs where clients look like they are not going to be paying much. It isn't worth it to bid at that point. I always have a ton of connects but I can see them going away quickly if I was really trying right now to find stuff especially since people don't get back a lot and leave the job not hiring anyone or it is a scam of some sort, and don't tell me to be selective because half the time there is no way to see something is a scam or that they won't get back to anyone and abandon their jobs. Nothing worth bidding on half the time now anyways too since U. are scaring away most of the good clients by charging them for stuff they had for free before. Unfortunately, because of the change of US only and other changes, it is far harder to find anything of significance as well.

You are on a different topic then this thread.

I was among the first to me moved into the new system and can buy connects of $.0.15, BUT my connects do not roll over. I lost the connects I bought last month and my top rated connects.

That's 16 connects that did not roll over last month and 80 this month.

Screenshot 2019-06-28 09.38.29.png

Jennifer R wrote:

I was among the first to me moved into the new system and can buy connects of $.0.15, BUT my connects do not roll over. I lost the connects I bought last month and my top rated connects.

That's 18 connects that did not roll over last month and 80 this month.

Hi Jennifer. I haven't been switched over yet, so I don't know what the new system should look like, but it looks to me as if you're still on the old system (basic plan). Why else would you still be getting 60 connects a month for "Monthly renewal"? If that's the case, it would explain why you're not getting any roll-over.

P.S. On the other hand, you've also been given 60 connects for "Valued member credit", which I assume is the one-off Top-rated bonus, so it looks like you HAVE been switched. So it seems you're right, it's a mess. I should have read the whole thread before jumping in. Smiley Embarassed

I have been switched over a while ago and I received the 60 connects for being top rated.

Screenshot 2019-06-28 09.44.16.png

andI received the 60 connects for being top rated

I'll also move to the basic plan. Can a mod please write here if 140 connects (which I have now) will roll over and stay rolled over for 1 year unless I use them? This is a very simple question, right?

I do wish Upwork would stop trying to cross-pollinate before they have learned how to garden.

Hi All,

Connects expire one year from the date of issue, however, rollover limits will remain the same: 140 for FLs and 160 for agencies. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi All,

Connects expire one year from the date of issue, however, rollover limits will remain the same: 140 for FLs and 160 for agencies. Thank you.

Hi Goran,

Please tell me, why my rollover limit is 0. Thank you.

Hi Jennifer and Baris,

To clarify, the information Goran shared is related to both Basic and Plus plans under the new Connects pricing system.

Jennifer, I checked and see your account is yet to be moved to paid Connects. Under the old system rollover was available only under the Plus plan, so being subscribed to the Basic plan that's why you don't have this option at the moment.

Baris, I see your account has already been moved to the new Connects pricing. Since the ability to rollover Connects is available under the new Basic plan, your 140 Connects will roll over.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Jennifer and Baris,

To clarify, the information Goran shared is related to both Basic and Plus plans under the new Connects pricing system.

Jennifer, I checked and see your account is yet to be moved to paid Connects. Under the old system rollover was available only under the Plus plan, so being subscribed to the Basic plan that's why you don't have this option at the moment.

Baris, I see your account has already been moved to the new Connects pricing. Since the ability to rollover Connects is available under the new Basic plan, your 140 Connects will roll over.

Sorry Vlad, but that makes no sense to me. I received an email on May, 14th that my new billing cycle will start on May, 20th. (Granded the year is not mentioned). On May, 28th I bought 20 connects for $3. On May, 29th I received 60 free connects "Valued member credit".

Why am I back in the old system?

Hi Jennifer,

I did see your previous post and have already reached out to the team to check all the details. I'll follow up as soon as I receive an update. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Great because I just got this:

Screenshot 2019-06-28 13.07.28.png

Hi Jennifer,

The team confirmed you should have been moved to the new Connects plan earlier and will update your account in this respect today.

Additionally, I do see a number of Connects, including the complimentary ones you received as a Top Rated freelancer, weren't rolled over due to the new pricing not being applied to your account at the time you received the additional Connects. We apologize for the confusion this has caused you and would like to make it up to you by issuing a one-time bonus to match the Connects that would have rolled over have you been moved to the new plan as by design. You will receive the Connects shortly.

Thanks for reporting, I've confirmed we don't have an issue and, apart from your experience which appears to be a one-off, accounts are being migrated over in the expected time frame.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

A doubt.
In the message I received warning me of the change to "paid connects", this appeared:
"Because you're a Top Rated freelancer, we'll credit your account 60 free Connects by July 8, 2019 to help with the transition"

Today I saw that in my connects balance this appears:
"6/27/2019 Valued member credit Free 60"

These "Valued member credit" are the ones that were going to give me on July 8?

What a mess with the connects!

Maria T wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

A doubt.
In the message I received warning me of the change to "paid connects", this appeared:
"Because you're a Top Rated freelancer, we'll credit your account 60 free Connects by July 8, 2019 to help with the transition"

I was also told to expect mine on July 8 and mine also appeared today. Maybe they meant no later than July 8. 

It can be that!
Thanks Phyllis.

Maria T wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

A doubt.

Hi Maria,

I can confirm that complimentary Connects were issued as part of transitioning your account to paid Connects, and as Phyllis mentioned, in line with the time frame mentioned in the notification you received - "by July 8, 2019".

I also see your account was moved to the new plan a few days ago, so everything appears to be working in the correct sequence and as expected.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members