🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,710 REPLIES 1,710

Go back to the top of the page, read the post, and follow every link. Currently, you are going to be scammed, because you haven't done the work. You must go through everything to learn how to use the platform safely.

Freelancing requires marketable skills. I'm not trying to be mean; I'm trying to help you. You don't have any marketable skills, and your one sentence introduction is garbled.

If you don't have those marketable skills, you will fail. You have to bring skills with you, not develop them on the client's time. You won't find work, but only scammers.

Please give freelancing some serious thought. It takes marketable skills, money for job access and to run your business, time, patience, and again, marketable skills. In your situation, you may find employment more suitable.

Anthony H wrote:

Is there a gentler way to say that?

I have reviewed perhaps hundreds of profiles and find a great deal of people who seem to have no clue what the word freelancer means or implies. But I would not jump to the conclusion that they are lazy. And many appear to be marginally skilled given the standards of an educated person from a modern, developed country. But you have to be dead to be unskilled. If you can talk on the phone to some employers that qualifies as skilled. I think we can raise the rhetoric to a more generous or maybe just a more polite level than lazy and unskilled. 

In addition, I'm not convinced the less skilled workers upset the Upwork marketplace in any shape or form. The less skilled workers have always been there; now, because of Upwork, they are more visible. That doesn't mean they didn't exist before.

It's up to the marketplace to sort out the highly skilled, the marginally skilled, the hard workers or whatever else. It's not Upwork's place to tamper with that anymore than necessary. 

Actually, it is Upwork's place to "tamper with that." The primary ROI for FLs using UW is expediting payment transactions and providing access to qualified leads, by which I mean prospective clients who are actively looking for specific services I offer. The better quality the FL pool is perceived to be, the better caliber clients the platform will attract. Welcoming anybody who can fog a mirror to plunge in and start trying to be a FL serves nobody, least of all the aspiring FLs who lack both marketable skills and the business perspective and know-how to establish a professional practice. At best, they waste their own time and energy with no return; at worst, they fall prey to scammers and thieves. And they provide useful camouflage for scammers operating on the FL side of the table. 

Spot on. In all this talk about large numbers of low-quality proposals, I realised something. It's not even necessarily about the proposals.

If a new client comes to Upwork for the first time and searches for freelancers in their work area, what are they going to think if they see a raft of poor profiles? Corporate clients will likely perceive Upwork as a Mickey Mouse operation, perhaps within minutes, and quickly take their business elsewhere.

On many levels, it is incomprehensible why the platform has taken the course it has over the past 12 months. Just a couple of years ago, Upwork was regarded as one of the best places to go to find freelance professionals. That's what brought me here in the first place. Now, it's rapidly becoming Fiverr 2.0.

They can't seriously be offsetting those losses with Connects purchases, can they?

It certainly seems the connects are the thing. Why let in an opposable thumb only to let them buy as many connects as possible? Revenue is one thing, short-sighted cash grabs are another. Upwork is quite aware the clients are drowning, but they apparently will push until something breaks.

Raise the cost of connects - but how much would they have to raise it to make up for 17 million that won't or can't pay?

If you multiply 18 million freelancers x unlimited connects, that's a lot of revenue.

Actually, it is Upwork's place to "tamper with that." 

I did say "any more than necessary."

Anyway, I have no way to run into, observe, discover, unearth, all those freelancers who are outright thieves, crooks, frauds, scoundrels and scofflaws as seems to be obvious to so many others. This kind of hits me sideways.

I do see lots of profiles, as I've indicated, and I have been curious lately about profiles that say "I have 5 years experience," but the write up doesn't discuss any of those past experiences. I rarely see these profiles spell out "My local customers love my work," or things you might expect to see. And then I see long lists of software applications and, sure, you have to start somewhere, so I'm sure they aren't absolute pros at each of those programs. But it is expected that people reach a little to get some jobs; it's just a matter of how much and trust is at a premium here. Hard to operate Upwork without clients trusting freelancers and visa versa. 

I did know someone (still do) who had a remarkable track record obtaining jobs and when I asked her once how she did it (my ex-wife), she said two words: "I lie." I was stunned -- a very good liar, it turns out. But then, invariably, six months after landing a job the employer would find out she ddn't really know what she was doing. She never got canned, but she got demoted once or twice. 

Kindly check my profile and give me honest feedback!

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c40339962b2ea14c

I have spoken with you before, and you haven't made the changes. The photo does not look real. If I recall, you drew this, and that's fine, but not on Upwork for your profile. No drawings, no colors, just a basic photo of your face. It doesn't matter how nice, it's not a photo. It does not look professional, no matter what your career.

You still need to use the top post and learn about your profile. There are multiple steps you can take that's freelancer 101, right in the post. There is an abundance of information on Upwork that you could use to have a stellar profile. The choice is yours.

LOL- I thought that was how mankind worked! (don't want to specify countries)
Seriously, thanks again for all your insite Jeanne. Your help is under-appreciated here me thinks.

And when you have an hourly project but the client makes you pause work for 9 days, and you get no new invites NOR any job applies answered after spending hundreds of connects, but you at the end of month have the car mensuality and the rent, you are off.

After spending the communications, I was invited to enter the client’s Telegram and arrange work, but outside the scope of the Upwork website, so the work was rejected. I requested that any work be done through Upwork.

Make sure you report this to Upwork and you will get your connects returned. Good for you! You avoided a scam and losing everything.

More to the point, the boosting system has complicated the hiring process for clients and seems to have driven some of them away from the platform.

I agree with Andre👍

2ea1954c
Community Member

Wow, this is a great piece of advise to beginners like me and I find it very helpful.

c88fc64c
Community Member

absolute truth that Freelancing is not for everyone.
0773d74e
Community Member

Hi Jeane,

I've been on Upwork for a while,I tried to build my present organically. I kept updating my profile, now it shows 100% and yet I've not gotten a job. I need to know if selection of freelancer are base on location.... Especially been a Nigerian,Africa.... And yet to be verify.

No, freelancers are not presented by location. Sometimes the client will state a preference, usually because of time considerations. Occasionally, there are clients that will post that they do not want freelancers from certain locations. While you can still apply even if you don't meet the location requirement, it is highly unlikely you will be hired.

There are many, many freelancers and you have to be your best. I can't see your profile, but it's crucial to be up on your skills and ready to be very competitive.

Verifications are apparently taking longer because of the enormous amount of people joining the platform.

Have you gone through all the Academy course and other training from Upwork?

I did beginner Upwork 101 ... If you can recommend the course to do, I'm ready to give it a shot.

Go through all the links in every category for freelancers. Those resources include coaching, webinars, videos, reading material, and many of those should be checked weekly. Upwork makes announcements that can impact the platform. Read the threads. I have read threads and discovered something I didn't know.

I would change your photo to a plain background, with a closer view of your face. Use your introduction to tell the client what you will do with your skills. Also, break the introduction into short paragraphs. Add to your portfolio, and create a different picture for each portfolio.

Only written work

For example

Kids school assignment

University topic assignment 

All academic work is in violation of the rules.

Your profile is set to private. Therefore, I'm not sure if you will show up in search results. As far as I'm aware, only clients you submit a proposal to will be able to view your profile.

How do I change it from private... Because I can't switch it, when I tried to .

Hi Adedamola,

Thank you for your message. Your profile visibility is set to Public now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you...now my profile is public. 

d10d299e
Community Member

Well said 

ubaidi5
Community Member

Thanks for the links. Hope I read all the guides soon and get lucky to land my first job 😅

6735bc63
Community Member

You are a Mentor on Upwork,🤣🤣

632ee24a
Community Member

Jeanne: This information and links provided above are invaluable. Thanks for sharing. Being new to Upwork it is good to know these details beforehand.

Thanks again.

melaniekhenson
Community Member

Jeanne H wrote:

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills."

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

This is great, but can I suggest that you start a blog instead? You write well, and you would probably get a lot of visitors. Then you could monetize from there if you wanted. You would also have the freedom to categorize and so on, so that people could get quickly to their answers.

Just a suggestion in case you want to turn helping into a hobby.

The problem with threads like these is that they contain a ton of information that can be overwhelming, isn't necessarily linear, and receives answers and then often, replies that refute some answers and a chain of that.

Not easy on the eyes, and confusing to a newb.

Here's the thing: people come onto community boards for two reasons:

1. To get DIRECTLY to the questions that they have. Nobody is going to go through dozens or hundreds of "answers" (that may not even all be correct) to somehow find the answer to their one question. So a lot of the hard work on the thread is wasted anyway. (Which may be why you get repetitive questions when you invite people to ask you direclty.)

2. Those who post questions want to know people's *actual experiences,* so they want to ask on a community board...only to be met with long-suffering "I'm SO tired of having to answer you people" commentary, which is pretty off-putting, not to mention illogical since AFAIK, nobody is chained here and forced to answer newbs. 😄

All in all, I think your info is great, and I really do suggest a blog. I think that would be great since you seem as if you want to help.

Good luck! Great info!

"This is great, but can I suggest that you start a blog instead?"

What is wrong with what I wrote? I do not want a blog, or I would have one.

"You write well, and you would probably get a lot of visitors. Then you could monetize from there if you wanted. You would also have the freedom to categorize and so on, so that people could get quickly to their answers."

I am not interested in being a coach. For one thing, there is a ton of information on Upwork. There are coaches and a thread on people giving advice. I'm definitely not interested in making money from helping other freelancers. Just read the links.

"Just a suggestion in case you want to turn helping into a hobby."

I don't consider helping others a hobby.

"The problem with threads like these is that they contain a ton of information that can be overwhelming, isn't necessarily linear, and receives answers and then often, replies that refute some answers and a chain of that."

My post is linear. I started with the basics and links to elevating levels of help. If it's overwhelming, handily it's in a post you can reference repeatedly. I refuse to repeat answer that are contained in the post. Yes, conflicting information that can likely be resolved by reading the Upwork information.

"Not easy on the eyes, and confusing to a newb."

It's quite simple, read my post. It's all Upwork information, not mine. That's the point - you don't need me, you don't need anyone; use the resources at hand.

"1. To get DIRECTLY to the questions that they have. Nobody is going to go through dozens or hundreds of "answers" (that may not even all be correct) to somehow find the answer to their one question. So a lot of the hard work on the thread is wasted anyway. (Which may be why you get repetitive questions when you invite people to ask you direclty.)"

If my post were not correct, do you think Upwork would have allowed it, much less pinned it? (Believe me, I was more surprised than anyone). This thread was started because of the enormous amount of new freelancers who keep posting things like, "how do i get job?" "No one will hire me." "Upwork unfair!" "How do I get my money?"

So, I carefully put together the Upwork links in a coherent beginning to end fashion and included more links.

There is no reason for a new person to come to the forum and say, "I got scammed and didn't know to not do the stuff I did." An hour's worth of reading would have prevented all of it. And so on. And so on.

I receive questions, begging, pleading, demanding help because they have not done the basics. I am a big believer in not reinventing the wheel.

"2. Those who post questions want to know people's *actual experiences,* so they want to ask on a community board...only to be met with long-suffering "I'm SO tired of having to answer you people" commentary, which is pretty off-putting, not to mention illogical since AFAIK, nobody is chained here and forced to answer newbs."

Actual experiences are what I am trying to avoid! Too many freelancers, some who have never had a job, offer advice as if they are professionals. This thread is not about opinion, ideas, feelings, desires, or dreams. It's about the rules and what you need to do before you set up a profile. From the feedback, a lot more people love it than hate it. What I care about is others learning, and many new freelancers have told me this is helpful.

Not all freelancers know what they are talking about. This way the freelancer can get the truth from the source along with every kind of help imaginable through multiple media formats.  

As I posted to another person, there are plenty of freelancers from all over the world that started with nothing, and didn't expect to be given free everything because they were new or poor.

If everyone went through the links I posted, virtually no one would get scammed, cheated, or manipulated by the client, and there is so much more information. Most of the threads include a lot of emotion and experiences. That's fine here, too, I'm not the text police. However, I see no reason to go into lengthy messages with those who have done absolutely nothing for themselves and yet want someone to give them money.

Jeanne, I am so sorry that I came off the way I did. I re-read my posts and I can see why. Think before you hit the button is not my strong suit. Live and learn.

What I meant by misinformation and non-linear information was not your original post, but the posts that come after it. (I mentioned the thread; I was talking about the entire thread, not your original post.) People correct other people, people add on, the thread becomes a monster to read...and newcomers with a specific question give up and just post the question.

I was offering the reason people do this.

Anyway, good info.

You are so thoughtful! No worries, I just figured the help-seekers haven't found you yet! But now that you've posted...

I understand your point. There is a lot of misinformation floating around, that's why I wrote the post. It frustrates me the moderators do not always step in to deliver a definitive, Upwork answer. Therefore, there is a lot of opinion that can definitely lead newcomers in the wrong direction.

ztabs21
Community Member

DM flood ? 

a3bc25d0
Community Member

Any links specifically on preparing an appealing proposal?

If you follow the links, (hover over the link, and it will tell you where it leads) you will find multiple areas of help, including how to write an appealing and professional proposal. There are webinars and training available regularly, and coaching on a variety of aspects including proposals, and you might want to check out the rest of the links to make sure you have everything covered. Your profile is great!

elisa_b
Community Member

I don't understand why your excellent advice hasn't been pinned (yet) also in the "New to Upwork" section, Jeanne. 

alexandernovikov
Community Member

Very true. I'd add: freelancing and/or Upwork in particular is not at all a "way to make something out of nothing". If you are already an experienced professional in some area that has demand on Upwork, and you live in a country where people in your profession make <~1/3 of what they do in the U.S. - because you will need to account for irregularity of employment, for self-employment taxes, and for sales effort it will take, and for the fact that clients go to Upwork to save money vs what they will spend on U.S. contractors - then Upwork is for you.

It will not let you make money if you can't make it without Upwork, it just may or may not give you some leverage.

Alexander N wrote:

Very true. I'd add: freelancing and/or Upwork in particular is not at all a "way to make something out of nothing". If you are already an experienced professional in some area that has demand on Upwork, and you live in a country where people in your profession make <~1/3 of what they do in the U.S. - because you will need to account for irregularity of employment, for self-employment taxes, and for sales effort it will take, and for the fact that clients go to Upwork to save money vs what they will spend on U.S. contractors - then Upwork is for you.

It will not let you make money if you can't make it without Upwork, it just may or may not give you some leverage.

This is SO true. I have seen the occasional post where the person asks what s/he can do on Upwork to make money - IOW, s/he does not already have a skill that's listed on Upwork. So I think the view might be that Upwork is the place to go to make money quickly and easily. It isn't (generally). You need to have a skill. If you don't have a skill covered by Upwork, then simply working p/t will probably net you a lot more money at a job you are good at/already know is your better bet. (And more and more of these are from home anyway.)

I have also had people ask me this question via other social media. People know I have been an independent contractor forever and they want to know "how I do it." I tell them and they say "How do I get to be a writer like you?" I tell them, and more often than not it's "I have to have a portfolio? I have to spend in connects? I have to do a good enough job to get highly rated?" 

Usually, yes to all three. 🙂

a80d761b
Community Member

explanations is very handy and useful for us. thanks..

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members