🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment reversed
Page options
d03a38e0
Community Member

Payment reversed

Hi, I recently finished a contract with a client on upwork. Things went ok, client got what they asked and finished my contract. Today, a week after the contract was closed I receive an email stating “I refunded” the client money. I haven’t authorized such thing, all hours were under the terms of the contract and logged using the time tracker... I have no idea what just happened.

I HAVE DONE MY JOB AND NOW i was waiting for my money till 21 october today I must be paid and upwork automatically refund my money to client it's not fair 

17 REPLIES 17
spectralua
Community Member

Check your tickets https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

Some dummy reason indicated there. You won't be paid, don't wait.

You are right I am a Game Developer and I completed 5 in 1 kids game in only 7hrs there was contract between us 100usd per hour but waited for 10 days for payment today I must be paid but yesterday upwork refund payment to client

Upwork didn't "refund" the payment; the client requested a chargeback and their bank TOOK the money back. Upwork didn't have any choice in the matter. It's possible that Upwork can fight the chargeback on your behalf, so they would have sent you an email and told you to provide proof of the work. You need to respond to that email ASAP and follow all instructions. If you lose the case, you won't get paid. 

Also, have you messaged your client to find out what the problem is? It's possible that you can resolve this. Make sure to tell the client (politely) that if the work isn't paid for, then they can't use it.

Client is not replying 

JoanneP

Hi Hafiz,

I can see that one of our agents has already reached out to you. You can access the ticket by logging in to your Upwork account and going here

~ Joanne
Upwork
d03a38e0
Community Member

The person texted me when I replied I haven't get any respond . I am a student and I worked for that project and earned money it was my first project and that was my right to get paid now if upwork has refunded payment who will pay me? 

tlsanders
Community Member

Sounds like the client's payment method failed. That means they didn't actually refund anything because there never was any money. It's just laziness that Upwork doesn't create a separate email for this situation that explains what really happened.

Is enough to edit stupid message "you refunded" to something like "unable to proceed client's payment, transaction aborted"

100% they have mentioned I refunded. Am I mad? I worked whole night 7hrs completed 1 week job in 7 hrs then waited for 10days for payment now I will refund that the actual stupid thing

I only think they guarantee it if you use the time tracker. If you use manual time, they'll wipe it.

Seems like they are coming up with new excuses not to offer payment protection to freelancers who used the time tracker every day.

Yeah, just bad business all around. Luckily, I've had fairly honest clients and haven't had to worry about this too much, but for those who have, it sucks.

But, again, although they used the word "refunded," there was nothing to refund. They did not get money from the client. You were never paid.

jared_k
Community Member

Are clients who do this at least banned from the platform?

r2d3
Community Member

In the past, I had clients removing/disabling their payment method and UpWork not being able to get the money from the client. At that time, I was protected by "Hourly Payment Protection".

Today, if I look at Payments from clients who haven’t verified their billing method. page, I see that the client's method is not verified there is no guarantee for you to be paid !!!

In the past, an hourly contract could not start until payment method is verified and secured and contract were suspended if the client change the payment method while you were working on the contract.

So the lesson here: VERIFY that your client's payment method is verified !!!

hiram-kamau
Community Member

Sorry to hear about what you're going through Hafiz. But, that's a gone case. You won't get paid. Just move on. You've sadly got burned.

Thanks alot. He was my first client on upwork now my connects are end and I don't know how to access clients.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members