Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Problem with client | requesting refund | upwork reputation | any advice appreciated

Highlighted
Active Member
Hugo C Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
1 of 15

I am whiling to refund the client just so he can't submit a bad review in my profile that could affect my future Work opportunities in Upwork.

 

I am wondering thought if I submit accept refund to client is he still able to leave a negative review that show in my profile? I hope my question makes sense.

 

PS: I delivered the exact work that the client requested. It was a guide and delivered it as best as I can however the client is not happy. I offered to continue helping him so he can fix his problem....and he seems very bad behavior and non responsive. I would say that maybe he is highly newbie in relation to my job (SEO) or maybe he is just in bad mood.

 

Thank you

any advice welcome and appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 15

re: "I am wondering thought if I submit accept refund to client is he still able to leave a negative review that show in my profile?"

 

The answer is: No.

 

If you issue a complete refund, it will be impossible for any reference to this job to appear in your Job History. No review for this job will appear on your profile page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 15

re: "however the client is not happy."

 

You don't know that.

 

You have no way of knowing if the client is happy or not.

 

The client may have SAID he was not happy. But you can't read his mind. Maybe he only said that in order to manipulate you into issuing a refund so that he can get the work for free.

Highlighted
Active Member
Hugo C Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
4 of 15

Preston H wrote:

re: "however the client is not happy."

 

 

The client may have SAID he was not happy. But you can't read his mind. Maybe he only said that in order to manipulate you into issuing a refund so that he can get the work for free.




 

if the client didnt have 300k+ USD paid in his profile I would speculate about the ethics of this client to be totally honest with you. however in this case that he have so much paid USD  i would say that maybe he is just in bad mood or very very newbie to my professional (SEO).

 

i imediatly mention to him that i can continue assist him and help him fix his problem but he is not responsive and bad behavior.

 

thank you for your help tho. I will lose 500$ and 30 hours of my life just so I dont get bad reputation in my 1k+ earnings profile which could affect my future ability of getting new jobs. I wonder if Upwork has some kind of (reputation) protection for freelancers in this kind of situation tho?

 

anyway thank you a lot for your input appreciate it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 15

You should be aware that if you refund the job completely, it can still have a negative impact on your JSS. Why don't you negotiate with the client for a partial refund (if you feel like you need to offer a refund at all)? He might still leave you a good (or at least okay) review if you try to reach a compromise. 

Highlighted
Active Member
Hugo C Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
6 of 15

Christine A wrote:

You should be aware that if you refund the job completely, it can still have a negative impact on your JSS. Why don't you negotiate with the client for a partial refund (if you feel like you need to offer a refund at all)?


I dont feel I need to provide a refund I just dont want to get bad reputation. Also I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

 

I undersatnd that in the future working with 100+ clients some negative reviews and unhappy clients will naturaly occur however at this stage 1k+ earnings rank this is enough for me to delay my growth here in Upwork since my plan is to achieve 10k+ so i can find high paying clients.

 

anyway thank you for your input. appreciate it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 15

Hugo C wrote:


I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

 


Well, you should give some thought to your JSS, because - once you get one - if it's a low score then it will affect your ability to gain new clients. Also, if you can maintain a JSS above 90% and become top-rated, one of the perks is that you'd have the ability to remove the occasional bad feedback review.

Highlighted
Active Member
Hugo C Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
8 of 15

Christine A wrote:

Hugo C wrote:


I dont care about my JSS to be honest. The reason is that it will never be 100% so its fine to me. I pay for credits (no problem) and I submit my proposals to get the clients I want. However, a negative review and feedback rating showing in my profile could turn off any potential client that read my proposal and is interested in work but then visit my profile and see negative reviews this I dont really want at all. 

 


Well, you should give some thought to your JSS, because - once you get one - if it's a low score then it will affect your ability to gain new clients. Also, if you can maintain a JSS above 90% and become top-rated, one of the perks is that you'd have the ability to remove the occasional bad feedback review.


wow i didnt know about that ability to remove. thank you.

 

yes i underatnd that JSS is important but what i mean is that it doesnt matter much because I provide value jobs to my clients so the JSS will never be low. however a negative review showing in my profile in the other hand could be very bad to me at this stage

 

thank you !

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 15

Hugo C wrote:

yes i underatnd that JSS is important but what i mean is that it doesnt matter much because I provide value jobs to my clients so the JSS will never be low.!


What you're missing is that when you get your first JSS, if it low enough, the algorithm pushes you down in searches and lists you below those with a higher JSS in proposals. It's not just a number. Also, all your previous contracts except for the one from this year no longer count. So if you get a JSS after another 2 contracts it could hover around the 75% rate...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 15

Fixed rate or hourly?

 

What Preston "forgot" to tell you is that the client can still leave private feedback even if you fully refund, and that private feedback is what affects the JSS. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS