🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile not showing in search results even wh...
Page options
peterbotros
Community Member

Profile not showing in search results even when search by name

A while ago I stopped receiving invitations to apply for jobs at all. So I decided to check for my profile in the search results. To my surprise I didn't find it, I tried searching by name, title, skills, etc. But there was no use. I also tried to apply all the filters possible to minimize the search results outcome, and even though I went page by page, I didn't find my profile. 

When I tried to contact support, They informed me that everything was ok and I don't have to worry. but I still don't know how this is possible to disappear from the search completely.

Also I know about the rotation thing in search results, I understood that it is concerning the order of the appearance in the results not whether a profile appears or not.

So I am looking for a solution or an explanation of this if someone have any.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Peter,

I just searched for your name with no additional filters, and you were listed on the second page of the results.
As we have explained before on these boards, search results depend on many factors such as who is searching, when, whether the search is done for a posted job or not. Additionally, the results are rotated to make sure as many qualified freelancers as possible have a chance to be noticed. Your profile can show on the first page when a client runs a search today but not tomorrow.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

134 REPLIES 134
petra_r
Community Member

What does my profile have to do with anything? I'm not the one who can't get hired, am I?

You claimed that your profile can't be found. I showed you that it can be found and suggested you fix your profile so when someone does see your profile, they have a reason to want to hire you.

That's all.

01d41dd5
Community Member

Hi,
I am Hussain And My profile is Public But Not Showing in Search Bar Please Help me to do My account Active on Search bar

Hi Hussain,

I was able to search for your profile by using your first name and last name's initial, hourly rate, and skill category to narrow down the search. You may check this screenshot for your reference. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
01d41dd5
Community Member

But Why My side not in serach bar showing my profile

Maksymilian R wrote:

Maybe I am a poor businessman 

Yes, you are. 

Maksymilian R wrote:

I cannot be found at all. The advanced search by name and title show 0 results.

Well, avaiability badge works.

You certainly misunderstand stuff, don't you?

----You certainly misunderstand stuff, don't you?

Can you dawn on me?

Maksymilian R wrote:

----You certainly misunderstand stuff, don't you?

Can you dawn on me?

Sure... the availability badge is useful "ONLY IF" you are receiving invitations and rank high on the search results. The inviter will see the availability badge on your profile and know that you're available for work.

Learn more about it here. 

Okay, now it is my turn to show you what the topic is about. Visibility. Nobody can see me, and it doesn't matter how my profile looks like and what work I do.

Maksymilian R wrote:

Okay, now it is my turn to show you what the topic is about. Visibility. Nobody can see me, and it doesn't matter how my profile looks like and what work I do.

Yes, we CAN see your profile. Every time you send a proposal to a client, they can see your profile, too. Your placement in the search results has nothing to do with this.

The search results contain hundreds of thousands of freelancers, whereas when you send a proposal, there are usually around 50 other freelancers on the list. You therefore have a much better chance of being seen by sending proposals than you do of being found in a search, so that's the best - usually the ONLY - way that a new freelancer can find work. 

petra_r
Community Member

Maksymilian R wrote:

Well, avaiability badge works.

1) How can it work if you are not getting invites?

2) How would it work if you could really not be found in searches (which is nonsense anyway because you can be found easily)

3) How many contracts have you won because of it?

I cannot be found at all. The advanced search by name and title show 0 results.

Searching by full name ineed doesn't work. It isn't supposed to work. Why would any client search for you by your full name (Hint: They wouldn't)

273060b9
Community Member

Please, read once again my replies and stop this stupid manipulation.

1. Sarcasm. Should I give you the official deffinition?

----------- Searching by full name ineed doesn't work. It isn't supposed to work. Why would any client search for you by your full name (Hint: They wouldn't)

Typical manipulation. Mention only the first part so that you can spread misinformation further, omit the second part and ask a question. I won't discuss it with you anymore.

You're missing the point - new freelancers need to SEND PROPOSALS in order to get jobs, not wait around for clients to find them in the search results. Even if a client saw your name when doing a search (and it does happen - freelancers are rotated in the search results, and I've seen total newbies show up on the first page), they normally do searches for experienced freelancers with good reviews and earnings. Total newbies don't get invitations from anyone other than scammers.

Check the jobs feed several times a day for projects that are a uniquely good fit for your skills, and send proposals that detail how you can fulfill the client's needs better than any of the other candidates. Don't just look at the projects that Upwork considers to be a best match - set up a few searches of your own with custom filters, and save them. Spend a whole day polishing your profile until it's as good as possible. Work on your proposals. Read everything you can about how to market yourself as a freelancer. Success is going to take a lot of time and effort on your part, not just being visible in search results or turning on your availability badge.

Another hint: You're wasting your time offering to do translations from Polish into English if your profile overview isn't written in error-free English. Which it's not.

I have done searching two times. The first one was just before I made the post here and the second one 2 hours after. In both cases the input values were the same. Surprisingly, the second output was different. I found ME and another Maksymilian! Strange. I would have thanked you if your instructions had the goal to help me. You've made a poor attempt to mock me by giving obvious instructions. It seems that the solution has already arrived. Thumb up.

For those upvoters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authority_bias

Maksymilian R wrote:

It seems that the solution has already arrived. Thumb up.

The solution has arrived? Your profile was never invisible, so there was no problem in the first place. 

Maksymilian R wrote:

I would have thanked you if your instructions had the goal to help me.

You're welcome.

You're Right About this Point.

Hi sir,
Same issue Here Can you please check my profile Not showing By My name And Also Client won,t see my Proposal

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0199e36dab63c03dd3

I Can't see my account on the search page. 

Hi Eyelade,

I tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. I was able to search for your profile by simply typing your first and your last name here. Could you please try using a different browser or the incognito mode of your current browser? You may also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies then try searching for your profile.

~ Arjay
Upwork
lisa71099
Community Member

Hi - my account is set to "limited," but I don't know why. I can't seem to put in a support ticket. Can you please assist?
Lisa https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0141a7adafdac2f94e?viewMode=1

Hi Lisa,

I can see that you've reached out to the relevant team about the status of your account and a support ticket has been set up as well. Please allow our team time to review your case and an update will be provided on this page and in your email once done. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

I recently changed my account visibility from private to public. But after that I told my friends to search for my name, my title and other filters but my account couldn't be displayed. Is there anything I should do ?

Hey, I recently changed my account from private to public. Yet my account is not being displayed when I searched it with my account and other peoples account. I don't know why this is. Can anyone help me?

Samuel,

Search for your specific name, location, and other information.

I did, still there I couldn't find my account.

Hello dear team,

I hope you are well. When I try to search my profile in all categories I find my profile. But on the other hand when I search for my profile in the “Web, Mobile & Software Dev” category I find nothing. Can you please help me as my work is specialized in this category otherwise clients won't find me. Before, I was in this category in the search results and customers invited me. But I am no longer part of this category. Even I tested with the other categories one in one, but I don't find myself in any of this category. Whereas when I select all the categories, I find my profile.

Help me please.

Thank you

Hello Moussa,

This is by design. When your profile doesn't come up using the Category filter, it is because you do not currently have a Specialized Profile. Having a Specialized Profile significantly increases a user's searchability. We highly recommend that you create one in your desired category. You can check this article for more information on how it works. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Goran

Same issue, i cant see my profile in search results, even though its visibility is set to public

Regards

Faisal

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Faisal,

I just searched for your profile from a client profile and was able to locate it. Please keep in mind that freelancers in search results are shown on a rotating basis so that everyone has a fair chance to be discovered. 
I would also like to clarify that freelancer and client profiles have different filters and search results. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Pls my upwork account is not showing after I might have logged in. 

KKindly help me to fix it. 

Thank you 

Hello Sylvia,

Would you mind clarifying your concern? It doesn't seem you've completed your profile yet. Once you log in to your account you should be prompted to create your profile.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Peter, you got it wrong. The forum profile page is not your freelancer profile page. Profiles which are set to “Upwork Users Only” appear as “profile not public” via the forum, because they are not set to public, they are set to “Upwork Users Only” and the forum is public.

Thanks Petra for your reply. but you are still an upwork user logged in and you can't access my profile.

I think if you even tried to search for me you won't find my profile also. which is the main issue.

6c0e76e7
Community Member

Same with me .. my profile not showing even after searching with my name... only one account showing which is not mine

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ritaban,

Freelancers in search results are showed on a rotating basis so that everyone gets a fair chance to be discovered. I was able to locate your account by searching your name.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
6c0e76e7
Community Member

I couldn't find my account there is only one search result if I search with my first name...but thanks if it is like that and you found me by searching my name  .

Well, I'm not sure if you changed your profile since the time this post was made, but you are not showing up. 
Searched from my freelancer and client profile and you didnt show up.

The only 2 matches for Ritaban D are:

Ritaban C.

Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer

Ritaban S.

Data entry.

cb7aa326
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team, 

I am not able to see my profile under my profile title keywords research in the Upwork Talent Search section even I filtered it with my location and name but this is really strange I can not see my profile. I went up to the last page of the results but could not find my name. 

Is there any wrong with my profile? 

Your support and assistance will be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

Hi Atif,

I just searched for your profile by name and title and was able to locate it. Please keep in mind that freelancers in search results are shown on a rotating basis so that everyone has a fair chance to be discovered. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
dfbe4e6a
Community Member

I'm also having this same issue, all my settings are said to public, and my profile is 100 percent complete yet I can find myself on Upwork.

Ayda G wrote:

I'm also having this same issue, all my settings are said to public, and my profile is 100 percent complete yet I can find myself on Upwork.

It's not public. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members