🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile review please!
Page options
e1d23412
Community Member

Profile review please!

Thank you all for your advice regarding the proposal writing.

Please I would appreciate if someone can vet my profile and give me needed corrections.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Your Personal Virtual Assistant
Helping 5m+ people walk in their purpose.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
8843ad71
Community Member

In the first place, you do not need to mention your skillset in your proposal or say "I am pleased" like those things. This kind of proposal is sent by 90% of freelancers on Upwork. The client can see your qualifications and skillset on your profile.
Begin your message with "Hi" or "Hi [Client's name]". Then start telling the solution for their problem . If someone posted about needing a pet accessory website, for example. I start with . Hi.Impulse theme is best for pet accessories products. Do you have what kind of categories you want on your website Pet's clothing,pet's food,etc.
Then I just wrote "Please let me know when you would be available for an initial 15-30 mins chat (Free of charge) so that we can discuss the project . And paste your previous work.

Please keep in mind that no one wants to read long purposes with your skillset. Everyone wants solutions for their problems.
Thank you 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
8843ad71
Community Member

In the first place, you do not need to mention your skillset in your proposal or say "I am pleased" like those things. This kind of proposal is sent by 90% of freelancers on Upwork. The client can see your qualifications and skillset on your profile.
Begin your message with "Hi" or "Hi [Client's name]". Then start telling the solution for their problem . If someone posted about needing a pet accessory website, for example. I start with . Hi.Impulse theme is best for pet accessories products. Do you have what kind of categories you want on your website Pet's clothing,pet's food,etc.
Then I just wrote "Please let me know when you would be available for an initial 15-30 mins chat (Free of charge) so that we can discuss the project . And paste your previous work.

Please keep in mind that no one wants to read long purposes with your skillset. Everyone wants solutions for their problems.
Thank you 🙂

Rukhsana A wrote:

🙂

I would disagree witb this approach. Clients very rarely give enough information in their job description to provide a solution. I would normally say something like, "here's how I would help: after being hired we would set up a discovery session so we can learn about your business and value proposition. Then, we would do some research" etc. This tells clients you take a thoughtful approach to their business, which is the right way to be a real consultant to their business. 

Your opinion is not much different...

hi! Rukhsana.hope youare doing well.just need your help. kindly review my profile and show me the gaps that i need do fill to make my profile more professional. thanks

elisa_b
Community Member

Please drop the "Dear Hiring Manager" and do not beg to be hired or use that silly smiley. You are talking only about yourself in this cover letter, instead of addressing the needs of the client. And can you really type 16 words per second? 

I would suggest you to take the Academy courses and learn how to optimise your cover letters and profile.

192218fd
Community Member

Hi,

Please take notice of what the other colleagues replied, and also: "writer to rewrite a pdf to word" sounds typically scammy, so be sure to protect yourself, never ever transfer money, do not use your accounts on other platforms for clients' work nor provide contact information without a contract. Beware of clients with new accounts (signed up today) and not-verified payment method.

There is very good advice in the forum; you would be wise to check it out.

Best of lucks!

There is nothing wrong with unverified payments or new clients. The important thing is to learn about vetting clients and use it every time. As long as the job is funded before work begins, there is no problem at all.

The problem with your advice is that it gives freelancers the idea you can tell who is a scammer or unreliable by simply looking at payment or reviews. There are serial scammers here, who have a list of hires. Vetting jobs and clients takes a lot more effort.

Yes, I know I am over-simplifying, but statistically I have noticed that repeated job posts (nearly same text, maybe more than 20 freelancers required, typing or otherwise simple jobs, sometimes badly written posts) are usually published by same-day clients with unverified payment methods. I did not say “do not work for” but “beware of”. In this day and age, you can never be too careful. Even more so in the ‘new’ Upwork. And yes, it takes a lot more effort, but you have to know when and where to look for clues.

My method: I favourite the suspicious posts and check activity and if/when they are removed. This way I can create my own set of red flags and streamline my job search.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Others have covered most of your post, but I am particularly interested in your typing speed of 1000 words per minute. The world record was for around 170 wpm, and that was once, not sustainable, which came in at 150 wpm. Were you using a QWERTY or a Dvorak? There was a woman who supposedly could type 212 wpm.  That's still significantly smaller than your amazing 1000 per minute. Why aren't you in the Guinness Book of World Records? You need to correct that ASAP - 100 is probably what you meant, but the client has already seen it. There is no way you can type that fast, and it looks like you are being deceptive to the client. Your proposals must be perfect. They can't contain an error like that, especially since you say you are a writer.

Your profile needs a lot of work that you need to do before you apply for a job. As Elisa said, use the Academy and learn how to use the platform. You need to learn about profiles, contracts, and proposals.

2779bde0
Community Member

Listen to what is being written here. It is all correct. 1,000 words per minute. This says that you are an amateur, and didn't take the time to read what you wrote.

This is what the client would expect from you in a work situation. Would you hire a writer that submitted a proposal with a blunder as blatant as that? I am also a copywriter and used to do things like that. Take five minutes to read your proposals before you submit them.

Your proposal is focused on you, and is way too long. All it says is that I do this, and I do that. Put the focus on how a client will benefit from hiring you.

You didn't "waste" any connects.  You gave them away. It costs money to bid on jobs. You needed to submit better proposals, to make the best use of them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members