🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposals, bids, connects
Page options
hich_testone
Community Member

Proposals, bids, connects

Hi all,

I need help to find new projects on upwork, the new bidding system is

We need to be among the 10 first proposals to have a chance with the client, however with the new biding system, any body can take your position, even if you were among the top 4 bidders, because I bided to be among the top 4, and if I knew that someone else would bid more that me, may be I wouldn't have bid or submit a proposal, this is one problem, the other problem, the biggest, is that most clients don't hire, and many of them don't even see job activities, and we are charged our bids when upwork cancel the job, this is little bit hard for us, we all loose our connects, I have spent more than 100 connects for nothing 😞

Any tips on biding and refund connect please ?

Why upwork doesn't allow us to bid more or to cancel the bid if others bid more ?

Thank you

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
068c3828
Community Member

ust want to know. Does the job necessarily go to the highest bider, one who pay highest to submit his proposal? Does the bidding preclude the client from making decision on whom to hire based on qualification for the job?

Hello and thank you for your answer, yes, when there's 50+ proposals, you need to be among the top 10 to catch client attention and interaction, however with the new bid system, it's like cheating, I would boost my proposal if it remains among the top 4, otherwise, I would be able to cancel or increase my bid (if the client didn't see my proposal yet)

Also, it's really hard for us to be charged our connects when upwork cancel the project due to client incativity, it feels like you are convicted by other's mistake 😞

I don't know if I am asking to right question in the right place or not, it's the 1rst time that I ask a question in 10 years with upwork.

Thanks

No, the job does not go to the highest bidder. Clients hire for quality, not who wants to boost the most. The crazy high bids are always from farmers, or people who have no skills, but think they will get hired if they throw connects.

All boosting does is get you into the boost category, it does not mean the clients will even look at them. They do not see the entire proposal. The clients will look at what they want. There is boosted, the best match, etc. Clients complain about the boosted situation, because it means nothing. Plenty of freelancers, including me, are hired without boosting.

Boosting is only for the jobs where you have every single qualification, you know you can do perfectly, and you really want the job. Even then, use common sense. If the job is for $50., and someone boosts 200 connects, it makes no sense to try and compete.

Also, the part about must be in the first ten applicants, is nonsense. You have time to write a carefully crafted proposal, specific to the job, and include samples of your work.

8e6da85a
Community Member

It can be frustrating with Upwork's new bidding system, as competition is tough, and clients don't always hire. To improve your chances, try to tailor your proposals to stand out, and consider using connects wisely. Unfortunately, Upwork doesn't allow canceling bids or bidding more once submitted. It's essential to be strategic with your proposals and make every connect count.

Thank you for you answer, I completely agrre with you, it's really frustrating with Upwork's new bidding system, competition is tough and now comes the ranking disputes, unfortunately, the solution you propose is very hard, many and many clients does not even see proposals 😞

Any way to make upwork change this ?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Michael,

Upwork has provided no information about how boosting bids translates into a higher likelihood of submitting a winning proposal. I assume that if boosting bids was a substantial factor in winning proposals Upwork would make that public information in order to offset so many complaints from freelancers who've spent a lot of money on boosting but saw their proposals never opened by clients and / or having no effect on the likelihood of submitting winning bids.

I suspect smart clients pay little to no attention to whether a freelancer has boosted his/her bid. For many, the first consideration is likely the freelancer's bid pricing. (There's no reason to consider hiring a freelancer who bids $25/hour if the client's budget is $10/hour.) But I don't know what percentage of clients are this smart.

And some clients might have more faith in Upwork's freelancer ranking algorithm than Upwork apparently has, so that plays a primary role in selecting their freelancers.

There's a saying about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If boosting hasn't increased your win rate on proposals, stop boosting and focus on improving your profile and other relevant items you can control.

Good luck!

Thank you for you answer,

Also, I don't understand the connects refund system, I was the 1rst bidden (yes I kept watching the bid), upwork closed the job due to inactivity, and I was charged my connects

How can I improve my profile without new clients ? any tips please

Regards

wlyonsatl
Community Member

A good deal of your profile is information about you and has nothing to do with clients - your work experience, your expertise that's relevant to the jobs you apply to, your education, your work samples, etc.

Put your best foot forward across every element of your profile. Have someone review your profile and some of the proposals you send - there might be some room for improvement that someone else will notice. And think of your profile as the basis on which a client would search for a freelancer - using key words that a potential client might use to find their new freelancers. 

Good luck!

I understand, thank you

the-right-writer
Community Member

We need to be among the 10 first proposals to have a chance with the client,

I don't know who told you that, but they are wrong. Upwork says it takes the client an average of 3 days to hire. So, getting it in right away, does you no good. Quickly generated, copies and pastes, and templates, are a good way to get your proposals sent to the "other" category. Then people complain their proposals are never viewed.

With bidding, as the word suggests, it is not about skills, it's about who wants to spend the most moeny. The clients don't read your proposal, it's simply on top if you are the highest bidder. Many clients detest the boosting, and some won't even look at them. They don't see your entire proposal. You should not apply to any job unless you hold all of the requirements and can complete the job professionally. You should never boost, unless you hold every requirement, can complete it professionally, and know, you are one of the top two people who will apply - then you don't boost. No one is forcing you to throw away connects. Make your decisions based on your return and facts, not promotional material from Upwork, or other freelancers who don't know what they are doing.

When you apply, you don't look back. Connects are an investment and an expense every freelancer must pay for, along with all self-employment expenses. Upwork has enough connects floating around, the last thing the platform needs is more returned or given for free. Connects should never be returned, unless possibly when it's a scam, but not if the freelancer had a role.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members