🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Rebranding of website task
Page options
pthorup
Community Member

Rebranding of website task

Contract stated rebranding of website of existing content, which I did a couple of pages already despite it not being existing content but rather new content. Now she is asking for additional features like a booking system integrated into her shop. I requested a additional milestone as it is a new feature but she declined, claiming it is part of the rebranding process.

Any advice how to proceed?

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

This client is trying to get you to work for free.

Don't do it.

pthorup
Community Member

The client is completely taken a u-turn. She was happy with the other pages, and now she is saying that I didn't take interest in implementing her brand and that I'm not a team player. I told her designing and adding new functionality are too different things. I really don't know what to do. She is literally trying to force me in implementing her booking system.

I would recommend writing a one pager Scope of Work for each and every engagement. It takes max an hour to do it, but it saves thousands of nerves and your hard-earned dollars. Having a SoW requires discipline but makes your life easy.

I agree 150% with scope of work defined with terms. Milestones and deliverables.   It may not even take an hour to write the stuff in the contract.

Follow what Preston has written

Don't argue with her.

Don't defend yourself.

Don't discuss this any further.

Don't waste your time.

Tell her that she may close the current contract and create an hourly contract and you will continue to work on the project.

Period.

Don't give her "options."

She needs to close the contract while releasing all escrow money to you. And then she needs to create an hourly contract. And then you will continue to help her.

Otherwise, you are done.

pthorup
Community Member

She is claiming that I didn't listen to her and that I override her decisions. All of this is all new to me and the first time she has ever mentioned this. I've filled in with her with every step, asking her feedback in every step. Giving advice where I could and seems like it was mutual commuication. But now she sounds like I've totally ignored everything she is saying. I don't get it.

What are my options in terms of contract. I can't really get paid for the work I've done so far if she changes her mind and claims now that I'm not impelmenting her vision.

Is it even possible to end the contract, and I remove all my work done on the website. I understand that I won't get paid for this, but is this even possible?

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I'd say cut your losses, refund the money, and end the contract. That way she won't be able to leave you negative feedback, which could end up being worse long-term that taking the financial hit. Just make sure to choose "the job has been successfully completed" when ending the contract.

Peter G wrote:

I'd say cut your losses, refund the money, and end the contract. That way she won't be able to leave you negative feedback, which could end up being worse long-term that taking the financial hit. Just make sure to choose "the job has been successfully completed" when ending the contract.

The client can still leave negative private feedack, which is what affects the JSS.

I don't think so if the freelancer ends the contract, says it was completed successfully, and doesn;t request the money. Anyone else know for sure and the ins and outs of this?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members