🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Who wants to band together on this dry sp...
Page options
dustin_slack
Community Member

Recent Difficulty Landing Work / 100% JSS and Top Rated Plus

Hello Upwork Community, please tell me if you are experiencing similar issues. Or if I'm crazy or doing something wrong, please tell me straight up. Also let me preface this by saying that I realize I'm not the best designer in the world. Always room to grow, I get that. But I do stand by my work and the vast majority of my clients are pleased with my work as well. 

I've been top rated plus 100% jss (graphic designer) since way before Upwork implemented these ridiculous changes. Connect boosts, 10 free connects a month (oh how generous - let's push the freelancers to boost their proposal so they'll run out of connects sooner and have to buy more), consultations, project catalogs... my work is in my profile! CLIENTS CAN VIEW MY WORK IN MY PROFILE. Not only that, if they search my name in Google, they will find my actual portfolio website. This leads my to my first concern listed below. 

Project Catalogs: If a client wants a fixed price pitch deck, they can find me and invite me to interview and discuss it with them in detail. Not all graphic design projects are alike. Some require more effort, some require minimal effort. Three tiers for a project just doesn't cover it. It is a nuanced discipline. It's more work for us trying to comply with Upwork's new standards and less money coming our way. Looking at it from a client perspective, it seems like they would think of us freelancers as unflexible, rigid, unwilling to budge, too complicated, and then just give up on the platform. I had to wait about 15-20 days and multiple fixes to get my first Project Catalog to go through. You know what Upwork said when I asked them what was taking so long? They are having trouble getting through the influx of similar concerns. I mean, that's a red flag right there. 

Consultations: Clients aren't dumb, they might need direction or need advice and might not know exactly what they are looking for, but they aren't dumb. Why are clients going to pay for a consultation when they can just message me through Upwork by inviting me to a job - even if they are unsure they'll even want to hire for the job? If the project looks good, my type of client, or design style, I'll respond, for free - because I potentailly want that specific work. What does Upwork think they are getting out of this? I'm not a lawfirm, consultations... I just don't get it. 

I haven't been receiveing invitations or landing jobs like I used to. I started noticing it about 3-4 months ago. It used to be like I'd snap my fingers and there was a good job at hand (even when I wasn't top rated plus!). Now it's nothing. I've been complaining to Upwork support about this for about a month, but I'm to be assured, these changes are working and are great for freelancers! I'm just not seeing it and I can't be the only freelancer not getting the same amount of work they used to get, not even close. I can't be alone in this, maybe I am, but intuition and years of experience tells me I'm not. 

Let me know if any of you fellow freelancers, especially graphic designers, if you're experiencing similar things or feel the same way or if you have a different opinion. I'm just trying to understand what is going on. I used to be able to make a living straight through Upwork. I've always respected Upwork so much that I'd route clients who reached out to me through my website back to Upwork, those who found me through Behance, or Dribbble, etc. Currently, it's almost impossible though. I've been using Upwork since about 2015-2016 or back when it was Freelancer. I've never had such a hard time getting work while being top rated plus at 100% jss. Something is amiss and it has to be these recent (within the last 9 months) changes to the platform. 

At this point I'm just frustrated. I put in so much work and so much effort to increase my jss to 100% and become top rated plus in my field. Now it feels like I did all that work for nothing. Great for discipline in general, not seeing the benefits monetarily anymore. 

Also, the less us freelancers get work, the less Upwork gets their cut of our pay. I think Upwork isn't looking at the fact that we (freelancers, clients, and Upwork) rely on each other. Which is why none of these changes make any sense to me. If I'm not making money on Upwork then Upwork isn't making money from me. When things start messing with your income, you notice. If I'm not the only one, then Upwork has to be experiencing less income (their cut), unless they are relying on us freelancers buying more connects to fund their platform - which just doesn't add up in my mind. 

The thing is, I'll keep using Upwork because aside from a few other sites, they've cornered this market - and like I stated before, I've been on here working since it was Freelancer. I just hope things change for the better and soon. During a time of inflation in the States, I'm not so sure about other places, having my income interrupted because of platform changes is quite frustrating. Maybe it's the platform changes, my feeling is that it is, but then I again I could be wrong. This is just my experience as of the last couple months. 

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Whether we agree or not, much love and respect to my peers for responses.

Dusty

317 REPLIES 317

In all sincerity, you should find a good book on business management. You don't seem to understand that every business has income and expenses, including Upwork. Of course, every company has debts on its ledger. Every legitimate business has debts. No one just makes money unless you are selling items that were stolen or stealing people's kidneys and selling them on the black market.

Jeanne H wrote:

In all sincerity, you should find a good book on business management. You don't seem to understand that every business has income and expenses, including Upwork. Of course, every company has debts on its ledger. Every legitimate business has debts. No one just makes money unless you are selling items that were stolen or stealing people's kidneys and selling them on the black market.

Seens that you and Martina are the ones who realy needs a good book of business management. When Martina says that "all company has debts in their balance sheet" seens you believes that all companies operates in negative balance. If you refer "debts" as just "expenses", that is ok, it is obvious that all companies has debts. But to a company survive, incomes must be higher than its "debts" or "expenses", call whatever you want, and the ammount that is the result of (income - expenses), if the result is positive It is called "profit", if the result is negative it is called "debt". Don´t pretend that you didn´t understands what I have said a lot in my previous comments: Its impossible a company keeps operating for long time with negative results.

If you and Martina realy believes that all companies in the world operates with negative results, and that is normal, "there is no company that hasn´t debts" (understands "debts" as negative results), so go fast to a book store and buys a management book to yourself. If you realy believes that Upwork has no profit, that Upwork keeps in negative balance for years, and thats ok, so please, just search on google about the basics of business. It is logic and obvious that all business needs profits to survive. Believing that Upwork has no profit is the same that believing that a rabit brings chocolate eggs in Easter. Don´t insult my inteligence anymore.

Andre, respectfully, I think you are confusing revenue and profit. 

Upwork has revenue - gross revenue. That's all the money that comes in from all sources. 

Profit exists when you subtract ALL expenses from that revenue. Upwork has never had any profit left over after they subtract all expenses and pay all their bills, etc. 

Many companies operate this way even 10 years into their startup operation. That's why they keep taking investment rounds or selling stock or taking on debt through credit lines. Their hope is that one day they will not only break even, meaning revenue and expenses zero out, but that they will bring in more gross revenue than expenses (profit). But Upwork has not done so yet in its history. 

It's not uncommon for people to confuse these concepts. I hope this clarifies things for you. 

Amanda L wrote:

Profit exists when you subtract ALL expenses from that revenue. Upwork has never had any profit left over after they subtract all expenses and pay all their bills, etc. 

I´m not confusing anything.

This is exactly what I am saying in every comment of mine. I never said that profit is equal to incomes. But seens all of you are distorting my words. In resume what I said in every comment of mine is:

Revenue/income (call it whatever you want) - expenses/costs/debits (call it whatever you want) = Profit 

If the final number is negative, so it isn´t profit, it is prejudice/loss/damage/impairment/mischief/havoc (call it whatever you want).

Then I finalize all my arguments with: Its impossible a company to survive/live/stands/keeps_operating (call it whatever you want), if the final numbers in its balance is negative. So, by logic, every company must have profits.

It is clear now?

Andre A wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

I´m not confusing anything.

This is exactly what I am saying in every comment of mine. I never said that profit is equal to incomes. But seens all of you are distorting my words. In resume what I said in every comment of mine is:

Revenue/income (call it whatever you want) - expenses/costs/debits (call it whatever you want) = Profit 

If the final number is negative, so it isn´t profit, it is prejudice/loss/damage/impairment/mischief/havoc (call it whatever you want).

Then I finalize all my arguments with: Its impossible a company to survive/live/stands/keeps_operating (call it whatever you want), if the final numbers in its balance is negative. So, by logic, every company must have profits.

It is clear now?

I understand what you believe to be true by your logic, but it doesn't work that way. Many companies operate in the negative, in the red, or at a loss, meaning 0 profit. They use lines of credit, take on debt, or sell more stock/equity to cover their losses. 

So your logic is false. Every company does not have profits. Many companies operate at a loss every year. Upwork is one of them. 

Amanda L wrote:

Many companies operate in the negative, in the red, or at a loss, meaning 0 profit. They use lines of credit, take on debt, or sell more stock/equity to cover their losses. 

So your logic is false. Every company does not have profits. Many companies operate at a loss every year. Upwork is one of them. 

Lines of credit is loans, the loans must be paid sometime. So, how the companies will pays the loans? With future profits of course. So companies must changes their actions to starts having profits. Companies must have profit to pays their lines of credits. No profit = out of business.

Selling stocks: What investor would risk their money in a company that has no profit? The risks is too high. A company that has no profit has stocks values very low. So an investor would buy stocks by low price, just to sell again for higher price when the company recovers its strenght. And how a company recovers its strenght and makes its stock prices rises again? Starting having profits, of course. No profits = out of business.

There is no other way to survive in business without profit. A company that operates with loss every year will be out of business soon. And if Upwork is just operating without profits, the platform will be out of business soon or later.

It is impossible to be in business without profits.

Can it possibly be that you are an adult operating your own business and you have never heard of an investor? You are entirely unfamiliar with the concept of business loans? 

I've read a bunch of business books to get my MBA degree, and working in a leading finance capacity for multinational companies also helped me along. You are confusing debt with profits again, they are not mutually exclusive. One is one the balance sheet, the other in the P&L. I'm happy to explain all of that to you. I actually enjoyed doing that, I held finance workshops for the department directors in a company with 3000 people on site, and they were incredibly well received. 

You can't call debts and expenses whatever you want, those are two completely different things, and calling them by their right name, and recording them on the correct accounts, is incredibly important. When companies record them in the wrong account, they can manipulate their results, and when caught, people go to prison for a very long time. Research accounting fraud and you will find CEOs who spent decades in prison for that. 

Further to my prior experience - it was very beneficial for the company directors to know about accounting rules, but I firmly believe it benefits regular people to be educated to a minimum level about this area too. 

Respectfull, I don´t care if you have MBA or worked in financial departments of some company, if you don´t believes in the basics of economy and administration that is: "Never spends more than your earnings", I would never hire you to works in the financial department of my company.

This is the same as artists that has MBA in art and was exposed in many galeries before, if he can´t draw a basic circle, I would never hire him to work in my company. And I knows a lot of these "artists".

Now keeps dreaming about the charity that Upworks does. I prefer to believes in logic and reality. Upworks has a profit for sue or this platform couldn´t exist.

You still didn't check upwork's financial statements. It is all there in black and white. 

You invented a new accounting term, the mix of everything that gives one final number. This is not how accounting works, no matter how convinced you are that you are right. Any company that would do their accounting like that would go out of business, not because they are in debt, but for falsifying their financial reports. 

Martina P wrote:

You still didn't check upwork's financial statements. It is all there in black and white. 

You invented a new accounting term, the mix of everything that gives one final number. This is not how accounting works, no matter how convinced you are that you are right. Any company that would do their accounting like that would go out of business, not because they are in debt, but for falsifying their financial reports. 

So, just because I don´t know the right terms in english about financial accounts, doesn´t means I´m wrong. **Edited for Community Guidelines**  what I am saying: "Never spends more than your earnings", no matter if you are a single person or a multinational company. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now lets analyzes your argumentation:

" This is not how accounting works, no matter how convinced you are that you are right."

Realy!? What I´m saying is: every company must have profits, and you are saying "no, they don´t needs profits to survive", don´t make me laught!

"Any company that would do their accounting like that would go out of business,..."

So, any company that has profits would go out of business?! LOL!! This is what are you saying?! Please... what world do you lives?

"... not because they are in debt, but for falsifying their financial reports."

So, for you, having profits is the same that falsifying financial reports. So, for you, the only way to have positive numbers in final balance is just falsifying financial reports?! That is what are you saying?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**  Ok, lets go:

- Company A earns 20k monthly and spends 10k monthly. By logic (20-10 = 10), the result is positive, the profit of the company is 10k. Company A knows how to do it and will be in business for more time.

- Company B earns 20k monthly and spends 30k monthly. By logic (20-30 = -10), the result is negative, so Company B will be out of business very soon.

This is just logic! I don´t needs a MBA to understands that Company A manages it´s business too much better than Company B.

But, if you believes that Company A will be out of business, and Company B is doing right, and that is ok, having negative numbers in final balance, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

No, its not ok spending more than your earnings, that isn´t normal.

I don't know how you arrive at full-out conspiracy from the simple fact that all companies have debts. 

Martina P wrote:

I don't know how you arrive at full-out conspiracy from the simple fact that all companies have debts. 

Very simple, if all companies on the world ends their monthly balance with negative numbers, no profit as you say it is. Then, soon or later all companies will bankrupt. If all companies bankrupts, then all the world economy will colapse. With the world economy colapsed, then the big reset will comes up.

Sounds like you're unfamiliar with the realities of operating this type of business. Feel free to check out how long it took Amazon, Netflix, Uber and others to become profitable. 

If you believe that every operating business is profitable, your really need to get up to speed on the basics before you can hope to understand the financial statements and what they mean. 

Some high-profile, easily-verifiable examples: 

Amazon operated at a loss for about six years before having its first profitable year. 

Uber was founded in 2008, but had its first profitable quarter in 2021.

Netfix was founded in 1997 and first turned a profit in 2006. 

Probably you're getting the idea. Consider consulting Google about the realities of profitability for a lot of recognizable companies. 

Yes, Upwork pays their employees. That's one of the large expenses that keeps them from being profitable although they generate revenues. Marketing is another--they spend millions of dollars every month drawing clients to the site. 

They don't, of course, take "at least 20% of each successful job done here." They take exactly 20% of each tiny one-off job here, and considerably less for any contract or client relationship worth more than $500 across the entire life of the relationship. 

Of course Upwork wants to prevent you and the client from violating the terms of service and cheating them--and any sensible freelancer wants that, too, since of course if every freelancer just connected with the client and went offsite without paying Upwork its cut, the company would be out of business in a few months and you'd have to work a lot harder to connect with clients. 

You're free to look at the earnings and expense reports filed with the SEC just like many of us have. 

I'm hoping the first bit was just a lame attempt at a joke and you don't think that any failing business can file for non-profit status.

It is just impossible any business to survive without profit. There is no argument that will convince me you´re right. Any business needs money to survive, if the money doesn´t comes from its own services or products, it must come from somewhere else. And of course, this money comes form some profitable source. So, indirectly, any company still needs profit. If its not their own profit, it is the profit of someother. So, even if Amazon, Netflix, Uber and anyother wasn´t profitable selling their services or products, they survived with someone´s money.

Now the question of 1 milliom dollars: According to you, Amazon, Netflix and Uber took in average 9 years until being profitable. Do you realy think they could be non-profitable forever? Some time these companies must earns some profit or they will bankrupt and close all doors. There is a time limit, a deadline, to a companie start being profitable or the company will be out of business. If I was an investor I wouldn´t invest in a company that didn´t brings me any profit in 9 years. This is realy crazy! To do it just some billionarie that doesn´t care about his own money.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Then Bezos is a fool?

That yacht he has isn't worth $500,000,000?

The world survives on debt and loans and resstructuring more debt and more loans, if the business model is seen to be profitable in the long run.

If a bank is getting it's loans serviced, do they care that the company isn't rolling in billions? No.

Upwork develops and finally after hpwever long, makes a profit and takes the market share.

Pete L wrote:

Then Bezos is a fool?

That yacht he has isn't worth $500,000,000?

If his company don´t have any profit, and if he isn´t aiming to get a profit some day, so yes, he is a complete fool. He may has a yatcht of $500M, ok, he will lose it if he doesn´t start earning a profit soon.

Pete L wrote:

The world survives on debt and loans and resstructuring more debt and more loans...

No, the world will be destroyed with the high ammount of debts and loans. Restructuring more debts and more loans is just delaying the destruction.

If you guy thinks that is normal not having a profit, so believes me, we will all face the big reset in the economy soon. Believing that companies don´t needs profits is one of the most craziest things  I´ve heard, specialy when it comes from "specialized people with MBA in finances".

Pete L wrote:

.... if the business model is seen to be profitable in the long run.

If the goal of the company is be profitable someday, thats ok! If Bezos and Amazon is aiming to have profit someday, after 1, 2 or even 10 years, thats ok, and Bezos isn´t a fool anymore, he will keeps his yacht for life. As I said before: no company can be non-profitable forever. There is a time limit to start earning profits. There is a deadline. And a company must start earning profits as soon as possible.

Any company will fall if accomodate on not earning profit. Upwork will falls too if don´t starts earning profits too. Money isn´t infinite.

No one should have the mindset of "Its normal not having profit", this way of thinking will lead all earth to the big reset. All world will bankrupt. Then a new leader will rises promissing to "solve" all worlds problens. New world order is coming. Conspiracy theories seens so true these days!

What has this got to do with anything? Upwork is a business; of course they want to make a profit.

lysis10
Community Member

I'll only join if Christine finally gets her coffee mug. If not, no deal.

I did finally get a mug last year, courtesy of Vladimir. So you're in?

Christine A wrote:

I did finally get a mug last year, courtesy of Vladimir. So you're in?

oh dear. I thought for sure this was my way out without saying these ideas are terrible. 

I give you permission to withhold your support until I get an Upwork-branded wine glass.

The green will clash terribly if you drink red though 

00137e0a
Community Member

Hello, Dustin.

Another graphic designer with 100% JSS, Top Rated Plus, here.

I can confirm that things began to deteriorate after Upwork implemented the boosting system and availability badge.

Since then, my proposals/replies ratio has plummeted, I'm not getting many invites, and my profile views are close to zero.

Previously, whenever I sent proposals, I could almost always count on waking up the next morning to find a few responses. Now I have to send dozens in order to be noticed and even more in order to be hired. It's extremely frustrating.

By the way, I've seen many veteran freelancers raise this issue, including people who have earned more than $500K on the platform. So, definitely, you are not alone. 

I've also been discussing it directly with Sam Bright, Upwork's CPEO, and his team ( I just emailed this thread to them ). So I can confirm that Upwork's upper management is aware of it.

Let's keep this thread going, everyone. This is currently the most serious problem on the platform.

Hey Rafael,

Let me say--- YOU. ARE. AMAZING. 
That makes me feel sooooo hopeful that you're speaking with the higher-ups about this issue. 

We all need to focus at the topic at hand:

Finding effective solutions to improve the Upwork platform that benefit the freelancer more.

======

****Please Note:

I'm aware that external Worldly matters have made an impact on the Upwork platform, and many of us freelancers are experiencing unfortunate changes concerning the quality of jobs posted, the alarming decrease of job invites and the reduction of job hires.

As another freelancer suggested, finding PROOF of the root cause is what needs to be done.
Yes, that would be the goal to find substantiated evidence once we nail down the root cause(s).

Nobody wants to chase a fart in the wind. 

Dusty's post was meant to connect with fellow freelancers to see if anyone else has been experiencing the same issue(s).

Right now, we all are just TALKING. 
No conspiracy theories here--- I'm too tired for that shiznit.

We are all JUST TALKING about where we're at. 

We are just trying to support each other during this time.

======

What Upwork currently rolled out--- Project Catalogs and proposal boosts, are NOT BENEFITING MANY OF US--- This thread can testify to this statement.

SOME Clients might be on the fence about quality--- they just want their shiznit DONE NOW. They might not understand the VALUE of what they're getting when they hire Premium Talent--- and that's where I come into play--- that's when I START THE CONVERSATION WITH MY POTENTIAL CLIENT and employ my persuasive sales tactics and charming personality. I show my Clients THE VALUE OF WHAT THEY'RE GETTING.
And this Project Catalog deal be mucking-up my flow, yo. I like a clean slate for my prospects--- a WIDE-EYED deer just walking into a beautiful Upwork forest. 
Sounds perfect to me! 🙂

For me, making a personal connection and implementing the power of persuasion is my jam, man. The Project Catalog demand for a "price" is messing with my flow (sales pitch). 

IMO, it's better (for me) that the potential Client does NOT see project prices--- that is the freelancer's job to persuade/pitch your PACKAGE RATES. 

And some freelancers are better at sales than others--- and typically, the freelancers that excel in sales and rock emotional connections, WIN THE JOB.  

At least, that's how it was for me BEFORE all these new platform implementations.

======

Please note, I am not speaking for everyone--- I'm sure there are some freelancers who like the Catalog deal, etc.

And of course, the NO client verification for opening a job is not helpful at all--- might as well just give the gate key to the boogeyman.

======

Please let us know if you hear anything from upper management. Thank you, brother. I appreciate you!

Fully agree, Michelle.

I have never touched the Project Catalog function beacuse every single project I create is different... fully bespoke for my clients.  Video production has thousands of variables, that it is impossible to offer "off the rack" solutions.  Plus, I think it cheapens my work if my 17 years of experience is reduced to a few options a client can click on, when what I offer is vast, varied, creative and custom.  

I wonder if the Project Catlog option is syphoning work away from freelancers who respond to posted jobs with custom solutions?  

dustin_slack
Community Member

Hi all, 

I've heard from a lot of freelancers, we're all having the same problem. Dry spells and low response rate even for those of us who are top rated plus and at 100% jss. This means less money for us and less money for Upwork (their cut). 

if you haven't seen my initial long form venting post, please take a moment to read. It was posted yesterday. But aside from that, if anyone has any ideas on how to get Upwork to listen to us and stop messing with our money that would be great. Customer support, while they are kind, they are useless. 

Open to any feedback I can get, whether you agree or not. Just something to light the match that gets something going so Upwork hears us. 

Anyway, thanks y'all and best of luck out there. 

Dusty

You can count on me. I knows, I´m just a beginner, but as I heard just good things about Upwork before joining, and im my first month I had good hopes, and of coure here I can have an agency to work with my brothers, so I will fight to makes Upwork a better place to works on.

The first thing we must do is a list of our demands. The things that I see that freelancers most complains about is: boosting proposals and project catalogs. So these 2 must be in the top of the list. Lets go with my list, then others can add more things, then Dustin or someother can organize the list, then if somebody knows how to send the list to Upwork hear us, do it please. I thinks a list of our demands and complains is just a start, so lets go:

1 - Boosting Proposals: We wants Upwork removes this feature.
2 - Project Catalogs: We wants Upwork removes this feature.
3 - Avaliable Badge: We wants Upwork removes this feature.

These 3 things, I believes is the most important things to be done, now continuing:

4 - Client ID verification: We wants clients must have their IDs verified as we freelancers have. If this is done, the number of fake jobs and scammers will be reduced drasticaly.

5 - Sub-categories more detailed: We wants more detailed sub-categories. A lot of sub-categories is mixed together. We can see a lot of "A & B", and in most cases A & B doesn´t matchs, like "NFT, AR/VR & Game Art" - all these 3 realy doesn´t matchs! It is required completely diferent skills to do each. In my opinion it would be much better if each sub-categorie just be "A" or just "B", instead of "A & B". So, when during job searchs we cam mark jus A, or just B, or both if we wants.

These 5 topics is the most important things must be changed in my opiniom.

It's like a no brainer that clients should have to verify themselves before posting a listing.  I'm mean c'mon man 🙂

Its a no brainer if you put no thought into it.

Don't you think it's a bad idea to create friction that would prevent many new clients from signing up? Because that would be terrible for everybody.

I tend to agree with you, Jamie, but with so many scammers plaguing the platform, I believe the benefits of adding this extra point of friction could potentially outweigh the drawbacks in terms of the platform's credibility and usability.

It's easy to filter out new clients/clients with unverified payment methods, and leave them to those of us who don't mind bidding on their projects. IMO, what's really hurting the credibility of this platform is all of the unqualified and downright scamming freelancers who are spamming every project with their useless bids, and undoubtedly scaring off some of the good clients while attracting more scammers.

Actually Jamie F.,

I've put enough thought into it.  I agree with Rafael.  Adding this point would greatly increase the quality of actors on this platform.  **edited for Community Guidelines** Cheers!

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

No, it means they are serious, we have to jump through so many hoops, yet a client can jump from country to country making fake jobs, copy n pasting all day long. And that isn't a conspiracy, I see it almost daily

I suspect that it would decimate UW's job posting stats and it's a problem they don't want to fix since the fix would highlight the problem to people like shareholders who would ask "why are there 20% less jobs postings?" (just my opinion, I could be completely wrong, but knowing there's a technical fix, I wonder why they don't do it). 

Yes.  There is probably a technical fix to this as well.  Good point.

It's a no brainer that Upwork would lose many clients and need to charge higher fees if this was implemented. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members