🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund problem with a client
Page options
amrmahmoud660657
Community Member

Refund problem with a client

I am facing a problem in refunding , I am new to upwork and I made a project with a client . I  made a deal that I will reduce the hour price for him and let me work flexible with time to aquire more relaxation in working hours . during the work the client wanted a lot of tasks more than the required task so I said to him to finish the work. I was surprised bcz he ask to refund me with a week I had worked with . when I ask him why , he said upwork calculate the effective hours you worked , i said to him that we make a deal to reduce hour price and give me flexibility in hours according to your budget . until now he didnt cancel the refund and I cant proceed to anything else. what should I do?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Amr:

It sounds like this is NOT a good match.

You should NOT be working for this client. Your expectations and the client's expectations do not match up.

If the client is asking for a partial refund, then the wise thing for you to do, as a freelancer, may be to grant that refund request and close the contract as soon as possible, hopefully on a positive note.

petra_r
Community Member

Amr M wrote:

I  made a deal that I will reduce the hour price for him and let me work flexible with time to aquire more relaxation in working hours

Sigh

sigh.jpg

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Amr M wrote:

I am facing a problem in refunding , I am new to upwork and I made a project with a client . I  made a deal that I will reduce the hour price for him and let me work flexible with time to aquire more relaxation in working hours . during the work the client wanted a lot of tasks more than the required task so I said to him to finish the work. I was surprised bcz he ask to refund me with a week I had worked with . when I ask him why , he said upwork calculate the effective hours you worked , i said to him that we make a deal to reduce hour price and give me flexibility in hours according to your budget . until now he didnt cancel the refund and I cant proceed to anything else. what should I do?

If this was an hourly project, then you are not supposed to be "relaxing" while you are working - you are supposed to be WORKING. If the time tracker shows that your screen was blank or you were fooling around on the Internet, then the client will be able to dispute the time and Upwork will not back you up. Next time, charge a fair hourly rate and actually spend the time working while the time tracker is running.

kat303
Community Member

Amr M wrote:

For hourly jobs a freelancer is paid for the HOURS they worked on the job. So, if these conditions are met, then you don't need to refund anything.

• Did you use tracker to record your hours?
  • Did you write meaningful notes on the screen shots Tracker used?
  • Did you have reasonable keystroke activity?

If you answered yes to ALL 3 conditions above, you don't need to refund, you will be paid either by the client or by Upwork for the hours you worked.

However if you were doing these things:

• Did not use tracker
  • Entered manual hours
  • recorded hours that were not spent working on the client's job such as surfing the internet, playing games, reading/sending personal email, watching youtube videos or recording hours doing nothing
  • recording hours but not working or using the computer at all.

If you did any of the above then you will not be paid. The client does not have to pay you if you were doing that, Neither will Upwork pay you. In other words, you won't be paid. And if that's the case, there's nothing you can do about that. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members