🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Rendering acccuracy
Page options
finestdesign
Community Member

Rendering acccuracy

I am a top rated freelancer who hired a top rated freelancer to create a rendering for a client of mine. I gave him specific measurements and after billing for 5+ hours of work he tells me that his rendering software cannot do specific measurements so he got as close as he could (38" vs. 42" if that matters - it's almost 10% off). I told him I can't submit that to my client and haven't heard back. If I ever made a mistake like that which I couldn't fix, or didn't tell my client I couldn't match specs up front, I would not charge for the work - could not live with that. Is it appropriate for me to dispute the charge or should I just eat it ($250)?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
finestdesign
Community Member

I don't feel I can submit inaccurate work to my client. I will question the time tracked. If I have to pay for the time used I will. I will ask for a refund and see. Other than that I guess my recourse is an honest review. I was so happy when I got my top rated badge - bubble burst!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

Did the freelancer track the time and worked actively on the contract? If he spend time looking up how to do the task, you should dispute the segments that are not actively worked on your project.

"lying about your experience, skills or professional qualifications" is a ToS violation. So you could also report the freelancer for that.

I am not working in the field, so I do not know, how long the task would have taken normaly.

finestdesign
Community Member

He did track time and I believe that rendering takes time, so that's not really my concern. But to not tell me up front that he can't do exact measurements when he does architectural rendering sounds odd. I don't feel right submitting his work to my client if it's 10% off. Is it possible to have someone look at our message thread and give an opinion? I don't want to dispute his charges if the community does not feel it rises to the level. I'll eat $250 if I need to.

I guess the freelancer went for an hourly contract to get the payment protection.

I have no access to the communication nor do I know the freelancer but I would question every single segment of tracked time. You did not hire him to try something, but to do a job. If he is unqualified, he lied thus violated the ToS.

It is my experience that many top rated freelancers have just not been identified and successfully been called out as the scammers they are.

Personally, I agree with you - I wouldn't charge a client if I was unable to complete a job correctly. But with hourly contracts, the rule is that you pay for the time used, not for the quality of the work. I would ask the freelancer for a refund, but you won't be able to force the issue. Is it possible to use any part of the work that he did?

finestdesign
Community Member

I don't feel I can submit inaccurate work to my client. I will question the time tracked. If I have to pay for the time used I will. I will ask for a refund and see. Other than that I guess my recourse is an honest review. I was so happy when I got my top rated badge - bubble burst!

Annette W wrote:

The job was to create something and then do the rendering?
Well, in animation, I charge for the animation work, when I'm converting to video, I don't charge it (talking about hourly contracts), I would only charge it, and I would warn the client before, if the conversion to video is very long or cumbersome and It's going to take my computer out for a while. I would calculate the time, and with your approval, add it as a manual time.
Has the freelancer been recording time correctly?
- On the screens he always appears working on your assignment.
-Has he written memos explaining what work he is doing?
- Is there enough mouse and pointer activity?
This in case the contract has not allowed manual hours. If manual hours have been recorded, you can reject them and the freelancer will have nothing to do.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members