🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Returning to UpWork and my JSS is in the pits...
Page options
rcolinb
Community Member

Returning to UpWork and my JSS is in the pits.

Hey everyone,

It's been a couple of years since I used UpWork for freelancing. When I stopped using the platform, my JSS was in the upper 90s. Now,  I am trying to return to UpWork. However, imagine my surprise when I notice my JSS is now 65%! 

I'm pretty confused as the vast majority of my projects earned 5 stars and 96% of clients say they would recommend me. I do not recall leaving any open projects, though I believe I closed out a handful where the client had dropped off the face of the earth or put the project indefinitely on hold. So why is my JSS so low when I left it in the 90s? No doubt that's going to hurt my chances of bidding on projects. 

Is this some error in their algorithm? Is there some way to reset the JSS after a significant time away from the platform? Not sure if this is the right place, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Colin B wrote:

It's been a couple of years since I used UpWork for freelancing. When I stopped using the platform, my JSS was in the upper 90s. Now,  I am trying to return to UpWork. However, imagine my surprise when I notice my JSS is now 65%! So why is my JSS so low when I left it in the 90s?

As only outcomes during the last 2 years can be calculated into your JSS, that means you only have very few contracts counting towards that, and one or more of those very few ones came with poor private feedback.

Over the next couple of weeks you will lose your JSS altogether (which is a good thing, because no JSS is better than a bad one) when those contracts from November 2019 fall out of the 2 year window and stop counting. Then you can start basically from scratch and will have a new JSS when you've completed 4+ new contracts with at least 2 different contracts.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Colin, 

Your Job Success Score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note that any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period. Because we look at trends over 24 months, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window. You may read more about how your score is calculated here.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Colin B wrote:

It's been a couple of years since I used UpWork for freelancing. When I stopped using the platform, my JSS was in the upper 90s. Now,  I am trying to return to UpWork. However, imagine my surprise when I notice my JSS is now 65%! So why is my JSS so low when I left it in the 90s?

As only outcomes during the last 2 years can be calculated into your JSS, that means you only have very few contracts counting towards that, and one or more of those very few ones came with poor private feedback.

Over the next couple of weeks you will lose your JSS altogether (which is a good thing, because no JSS is better than a bad one) when those contracts from November 2019 fall out of the 2 year window and stop counting. Then you can start basically from scratch and will have a new JSS when you've completed 4+ new contracts with at least 2 different contracts.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Your JSS should disappear completely pretty soon. Best strategy would be to wait for that to happen before you start submitting proposals. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members