🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Job Post | Be aware
Page options
helenwc
Community Member

Scam Job Post | Be aware

I'm new to Upwork and almost got scammed, until I saw previous posts on this community on how scammers are recruiting freelances. Below, I attached the Job Post, which is **edited for Community Guidelines**. I spoke to someone named **edited for Community Guidelines**. He wanted to interview either on Skype or Whatsapp. I didn't have Skype, so we messaged on Whatapp. The conversation stared to get weird when he said he will pay me directly (check or deposit, outside of Upwork). I immediately knew I was getting scammed since Upwork doesn't allow this as it doesn't comply with the ToS. Upwork already removed the job, but just wanted other to be aware. I have the screenshots of the messages and their email as the conversation started to get weird. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Helen, 

I'm glad to know that actions have been taken against the job post. I had to edit your post because it violates our Community Guidelines

As a gentle reminder, please know that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract starts is not allowed. All pre-contract negotiations should happen on Upwork Message Center. You may read more about it here, and here.

Video and voice calls are available on Upwork. You can read up on this help article for more information on the ways to place secure video and voice calls in the Upwork Message Center.

Please also know that offering and accepting to be paid off Upwork is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. Let us know if you have other concerns and our team will be happy to assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
helenwc
Community Member

Thank you Avery for these information. Will be more cautious in the future!

teresa_z_2020
Community Member

I am also brand new to Upwork and didn't realize immediately about remaining on the Upwork platform for communication.  I felt immediately that it was off and googled his name really quick. Your post came up first. I asked him why he wasn't communicating through UpWork. He said he would contact them to remove the posting and that I shouldn't be 'scared'. I told him I would not work outside of Upwork and he stopped responding.

The post was for **Edited for community guidelines**  was posted on Dec 27th.

I can't figure out how to report it to Upwork so I'm putting the warning here for everyone.

Upwork, please see my submitted proposals to see the client's name.

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for reporting this. I'll be sure to escalate this case to the correct team for their review.

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members