🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam reporting and refund of connects
Page options
mr0624
Community Member

Scam reporting and refund of connects

Hi, 

Twice now I have applied for work and received invitations for a Google Hangouts "interview." This seems like a scam (and based on a few google searches it almost certainly is). How can I go about receiving my connects back when a listing is sending out scam interview invitations like this? I don't see any easy way to report possible scams/fraud. 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

The Google Hangouts interview jobs are indeed scams.

Use the “Flag as inappropriate” link buttons to report them.

Upwork will remove the jobs.

You will receive connects back AUTOMATICALLY.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Michael R wrote:

Hi, 

Twice now I have applied for work and received invitations for a Google Hangouts "interview." This seems like a scam (and based on a few google searches it almost certainly is). How can I go about receiving my connects back when a listing is sending out scam interview invitations like this? I don't see any easy way to report possible scams/fraud. 

You are new, in the US (check scam!), your profile is almost empty, your rate is not in line with your expertise. You are a prime target for scammers. 

Improve your profile, that might help to keep them away. Otherwise, when in doubt, post your questions here. 

Thanks for your reply. This might be obvious, but what steps should one
take to improve their profile when they are inexperienced with
freelancing? I'm not sure what to add until I have completed some
projects (currently working one project now). Further, it seems making
your rate as low as possible is necessary to get work at the beginning,
but maybe I'm approaching that aspect incorrectly.
florydev
Community Member

Michael R wrote:
Thanks for your reply. This might be obvious, but what steps should one
take to improve their profile when they are inexperienced with
freelancing? I'm not sure what to add until I have completed some
projects (currently working one project now). Further, it seems making
your rate as low as possible is necessary to get work at the beginning,
but maybe I'm approaching that aspect incorrectly.

Point blank honest, you have a lot of things wrong.  Your profile picture is great though!

You need to rewrite your profile description as what you have to offer a client.  You have a very brief introduction of who you are, but what you instead need to say is what you can do for a client.  It sounds like you have done technical patent applicaitons so maybe focus on that, then look for jobs were people need that experience or other things you have done.  You want to narrow in on work you can do very well.

When you find work you can do very well I think you should be paid very well.  I don't know what technical writers get in Skokie but I am going to guess people working at McDonald's get close to $10.00 an hour.  Raise your rates to what makes sense for the things you know how to do.  You can choose to go cheap if you want but the signal you are sending to me is inexperienced and trying too hard.

Make these changes, find someone who is looking for exactly what you know how to do, under-promise, over-deliver, repeat, rinse.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members