🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scamers posting job offers that require freel...
Page options
lucasgn9
Community Member

Scamers posting job offers that require freelancers to buy digital items on gumroad to start the job

The job application is only meant to lure freelancers into buying useless content from other websites (gumroad.com) in order to start the job. There is no job and the client is not real. once you buy the ''brush set'' or other thing they are selling, they ask for proof and then disappear. It is a scam.

3 REPLIES 3
759e32fa

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that it is against ToS to do any financial transactions outside Upwork. Real clients will also not ask you to buy or pay for something. 

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
da0c5fad
Community Member

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for sharing - I too was scammed by this. 

Though mine was for a fGumRoad ont called Pawn Chop by Perfeo Designs.

I was able to get my money refunded by GumRoad luckily!

Perhaps if you write them they can help you too and hopefully shut down the scammer.

Warm Wishes
Teal

The bet way to shut down scams is to not do them. Learn the Terms of Service. You never but items to use for work in this manner, ever. It is always a scam.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members