🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammers or bad clients?
Page options
7ba45c13
Community Member

Scammers or bad clients?

Hi everyone!

So, I have been one month using Upwork and I had my first job in the first week. It wasn't a great experience though. The client didn't really tell me much about the business and the purpose of the project. He was unresponsive but at the end of the day, I did get paid. 

TBH I don't like Upwork. Besides that client, the other clients have been scammers. One of them wanted me to pay in order to apply to a job (like really are we 5 or what?) and the other one seemed serious, we had a zoom call and I wrote a copy for his landing page for FREE since he said there would be more projects to come. Since it was a small copy I said, why not. at the end of the day when you apply for a job, they send a test or exercise so it's fine.

Once I sent it to him, he said he didn't like it. He wanted me to write more copy for his ads, home page, etc. to "test" my skills. I told him, no problem but make a contract. In case you don't like my work you can ask for a refund. I even sent him the "how te get a refund" link page.  He got mad and got a bit aggressive. Is it normal to have these sorts of clients here?

Again, I haven't been here for too long but clients don't seem very professional and the fact that now we have to buy connects and bid in order to get more chances to land a project doesn't seem fair for newbies like me.

What do you think?

1 REPLY 1
pgiambalvo
Community Member

The second one sounds he could be a scammer. And never work for free. If they want to see a sample of your work, they could look at your portofolio, or you can send them something you've done before that's applicable. Since you're new, please read this to help spot the mountains of scams that are not being blocked from appearing in our feeds: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members