🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I end the contract or not
Page options
sumit988
Community Member

Should I end the contract or not

Hello!
I have finished the milestone and submitted the work to client but client is not releasing the payment.She have checked the work and she is satisfied with the work but she is not releasing the payment. I started the project on 13 April 2021 and my deadline was 16 April in the moring. I did the work on time and asked client to check the project and please release the payment but she always loiter about it everyday she told me to I'll release the payment in the end of the day but today she is saying that I'll create another milestone for you and you have to do that then I'll release the payment.
She already deposited money in Escrow but not releasing the payment.
What should I do now.

Best Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "But client don't want to create new milestone."

This means that the client does not want you to do additional work.

re: "I have done the project of 80 images for 20 dollars but now she is telling me that I'll send you another batch of 80 images in chats then I'll release the payment. I think she wants 160 images in just 20 dollars."

Who cares what she wants? It isn't her choice.

You are the freelancer. You set the rates.

Here is an example:

You walk into a store.

The store is selling a dining table for $500.

You tell the store owner: I want to pay you $100 for the dining table.

The store owner says: The table costs $500.

You then have a choice: Pay $500 for the table, or leave without the table.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Sumit:

Clients ARE NOT OBLIGATED to manually release the payment.

I DO NOT ASK clients to release the payment.

I DO NOT send messages to the client about this.

If you used the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button, and then the client DOES NOTHING... That is fine. Upwork will release payment to you AUTOMATICALLY if the client does nothing.

If the client wants to create a NEW milestone, then the client MUST release the pending escrow payment.

If YOU close the contract, then you MUST refund all of the money in escrow back to the client.

So my advice to you is to NOT close the contract.

Wait until you receive payment for the work that you have already done.

Stop sending messages to the client.

Just be patient.

Don't click the "Submit" button again because that restarts the countdown clock.

If the client wants you to do another milestone task, then she will release the current money to you and fund another escrow payment. If she does not fund another escrow payment, then don't do any more work. Only work for tasks that are funded in escrow.

Thankyou Preston for responding my post

But client don't want to create new milestone.
I have done the project of 80 images for 20 dollars but now she is telling me that I'll send you another batch of 80 images in chats then I'll release the payment.
I think she wants 160 images in just 20 dollars.
I have clicked the submit button only 1 time.

re: "But client don't want to create new milestone."

This means that the client does not want you to do additional work.

re: "I have done the project of 80 images for 20 dollars but now she is telling me that I'll send you another batch of 80 images in chats then I'll release the payment. I think she wants 160 images in just 20 dollars."

Who cares what she wants? It isn't her choice.

You are the freelancer. You set the rates.

Here is an example:

You walk into a store.

The store is selling a dining table for $500.

You tell the store owner: I want to pay you $100 for the dining table.

The store owner says: The table costs $500.

You then have a choice: Pay $500 for the table, or leave without the table.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sumit,

Thank you for this question. If the client has simply stopped responding but the milestone was funded in escrow, then the client has a period of 14 days (11 more days in this case) from the most recent work submission on a milestone to review and request any changes, after which the funds will automatically be released from escrow to you.

You don’t want to submit the work more than once, since this resets the clock back to the beginning and you will have to wait 14 days from your most recent submission for the funds to be released if the client does not take action on their end. You can have a look at this article about Fixed-Price Protection for more information.

~ Bojan
Upwork
sumit988
Community Member

Thanks Bojan, I got it

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Sumit S wrote:

Hello!
I have finished the milestone and submitted the work to client but client is not releasing the payment.She have checked the work and she is satisfied with the work but she is not releasing the payment. I started the project on 13 April 2021 and my deadline was 16 April in the moring. I did the work on time and asked client to check the project and please release the payment but she always loiter about it everyday she told me to I'll release the payment in the end of the day but today she is saying that I'll create another milestone for you and you have to do that then I'll release the payment.
She already deposited money in Escrow but not releasing the payment.
What should I do now.

Best Regards

Tell her you're more than willing to work on the 2nd milestone, as soon as she sets it up from her end.

She may then attempt to update the milestone without activating (read: funding) it.

Then kindly remind her that in line with Upwork rules, you'd need the milestone activated (read: funded) to the full value of the milestone before you can start work on it.

Before she can fund a second milestone she'd then need to release the first.

Thanks Abinadab

If the client has questions about how fixed-price contracts work, she can come here to the Community Forum and people here will be happy to answer her questions.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths