🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Software support contract outside Upwork with...
Page options
f461a0d5
Community Member

Software support contract outside Upwork without breaking TOS?

I am building a piece of software for the client on Upwork, most things will stay on Upwork but after the software is done so will be the original Upwork contract, but my client needs someone standing by (aka me) in case something goes wrong, all for a fixed monthly fee (Upwork doesn't really allow that kind of contract).

Upwork allows things, but the line is not particularly clear

For example this is a thing, but if I wish to have a different "contract" outside the Upwork one I actually would have no contract to convert in the first place…

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043210654-Convert-your-contract-to-move-outside-of-U...

Also Upwork allows sharing of your contacts after the contract was started

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Product-Release-Notes/Communicating-On-and-Outside-of-Upwork-Terms-o...

But in other places this doesn't seem to be as clear, are those recent changes?

Does anyone have a clue about how things are supposed to work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Gabriele,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Upwork allows fixed-price contracts wherein the client can release the payment on a monthly basis if that's the agreement you both have. You can set the milestones on a monthly interval so the payment is taken out monthly. 

I understand there's confusion with the term "contract conversion." When you move your relationship with the client outside Upwork, you're free to enter as many contracts as you can with that specific client. Converting a contract does not refer to a contract you already started on Upwork, but relies more on the fact that you and the client started working together within the platform.

When you convert your contract and pay the Conversion Fee, we will no longer be able to offer any support for that relationship, including customer service, payment protection, dispute resolution services, and other valuable tools. Any issues that arise with payments, communications, deadlines, and so on, must be resolved without our assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
759e32fa

Hi Gabriele,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Upwork allows fixed-price contracts wherein the client can release the payment on a monthly basis if that's the agreement you both have. You can set the milestones on a monthly interval so the payment is taken out monthly. 

I understand there's confusion with the term "contract conversion." When you move your relationship with the client outside Upwork, you're free to enter as many contracts as you can with that specific client. Converting a contract does not refer to a contract you already started on Upwork, but relies more on the fact that you and the client started working together within the platform.

When you convert your contract and pay the Conversion Fee, we will no longer be able to offer any support for that relationship, including customer service, payment protection, dispute resolution services, and other valuable tools. Any issues that arise with payments, communications, deadlines, and so on, must be resolved without our assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you for making Upwork's policy clearer, I will proceed to discuss this with my client.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members