🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious Account
Page options
jessica_meehan
Community Member

Suspicious Account

Hi there, 

I recently received an invitation to a job, but I wasn't able to see the name of the client. They seemed very unfamiliar with the Upwork protocol and tried to send me work immediately through the messages. The scale of the project turned out to be too high a workload than I'm available to do so I explained why I would be declining the offer. As it turns out this account was being used by a friend of the registered Upwork member to scout for freelancers to help with this project.

As someone who uses Upwork regularly, I rely on it being a safe, secure website where I know exactly who I am working with/for. Is there some way we can remove this client?

Thanks for your time.
3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jessica,

I checked this and I can see that you`ve already taken proper steps. Our team will investigate the client further and will take proper actions as well.

I would like to remind you that in order to qualify for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required.
I can also recommend checking out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jessica M wrote:
Hi there, 

I recently received an invitation to a job, but I wasn't able to see the name of the client. They seemed very unfamiliar with the Upwork protocol and tried to send me work immediately through the messages. The scale of the project turned out to be too high a workload than I'm available to do so I explained why I would be declining the offer. As it turns out this account was being used by a friend of the registered Upwork member to scout for freelancers to help with this project.

As someone who uses Upwork regularly, I rely on it being a safe, secure website where I know exactly who I am working with/for. Is there some way we can remove this client?

Thanks for your time.

Remove him for what? I can't see how the client violated ToS?

You never really know who you are working with, as clients don't have profiles the way freelancers do, which is a shame, but nothing to be done about it.  

Martina P wrote:

Jessica M wrote:
Hi there, 

Thanks for your time.

Remove him for what? I can't see how the client violated ToS?

You never really know who you are working with, as clients don't have profiles the way freelancers do, which is a shame, but nothing to be done about it.  

"As it turns out this account was being used by a friend of the registered Upwork member to scout for freelancers to help with this project."

This would have raised a red flag for me. I would certainly have questioned it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members