🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: TOS Change Never Announced?
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

TOS Change Never Announced?

I have been searching through the forum to find the announcement that informs us of a TOS change regarding the opt-out fee. It appears that in early July, Upwork changed the TOS to state that now after the two-year mark, if we want to work outside Upwork with a client (get paid outside) a min $1 fee has to be paid versus it simply being at our discretion to do so. Previously, prior to the 2 year mark there was a substantial opt out fee, but after the 2 years, it was at our own discretion with no fee. Now it appears the process has been changed per the TOS and no notification to freelancers that Upwork has changed the TOS. 

So why hasn't Upwork made this change more broadly public? I looked through the Product Updates, the Announcements, and Feedback, and there is nothing about this change. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

I’m late to this thread thanks to hurricane prep and trying to push as much work out the door before I lose power, and I wouldn’t even post this, but from Stan’s and Valeria’s responses, it’s not clear to me at all that y’all get why some of us are bothered by this.

This change was and continues to be extremely poorly communicated and it’s still very unclear to me whether completing this form and paying the dollar for long-term relationships is required.

Many (most?) of the people posting in this thread are ones that pay close attention to Upwork’s terms because the service is important to our businesses. We encourage newbies to pay attention to the terms, both in these forums and in others. Stan, you said that 1% of SaaS users read the terms. I don’t doubt that. Upwork is not a SaaS. If Airtable, for example, blocks me because I violated terms I haven’t read, I don’t care. If Upwork does so, I care, because it’s the source of a large chunk of my revenue. But I don’t reread the terms constantly. I (apparently foolishly) rely on Upwork to post meaningful updates to trigger me to review them again.

Up until this change, the wording on the help pages regarding taking clients off Upwork said something like after two years we are encouraged to let support know, and I remember seeing similar wording from staff in the forum. But “encouraged" is not a requirement.

As many have pointed out, the update that Valeria linked to said nothing about requiring >2 relationships to go through the process and pay a token fee. (To be clear, I don’t care about the $1.)

So yes, when I saw that announcement, I went to the terms. From user agreement section 7:

You agree to communicate through the Site and make and receive payments only through the Site for two years from the date you first identify or meet your Client or Freelancer on the Site, unless you pay a Conversion Fee.

From this, it’s clear that the conversion fee applies for clients within two years. Not after.

From 7.1:

Therefore, except as set out in Section 7.2, for 24 months from the start of an Upwork Relationship (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that person or arising from that relationship and not to circumvent the Payment Methods offered on the Site unless you pay a fee to take the relationship off of the Site (the “**Conversion Fee**”).

Again, from this it’s clear that that the fee applies within the first two years. Not after.

From 7.3:

You may opt out of the obligations in Section 7.1 with respect to each Upwork Relationship only if the Client or Freelancer pays Upwork a Conversion Fee which is a minimum of $1,000 USD and up to $50,000 USD for each Upwork Relationship, unless Client and Freelancer have had an Upwork Relationship for at least two (2) years.

Again, this is clear that the fee applies only within the two years.

And then later in 7.3:

If Client and Freelancer have had an Upwork Relationship for at least two (2) years, the Conversion Fee is a nominal $1 USD for administrative purposes.

Here we have a mention of the token fee. But everything above tells me the conversion fee only applies in the first two years.

So we go to the help article about the fee that Valeria linked to. The first FAQ “What’s the Conversion Fee?” starts with:

When you use Upwork to find a freelancer, we require you to use the Upwork platform to pay that freelancer for any work they complete for you for the following two years.

Again, this tells me this page applies to relationships within two years.

and

By paying the Conversion Fee, you can move your payments outside of Upwork without violating our Terms of Service (TOS).

So this says the conversion fee allows me to take payments outside of the platform without breaking TOS. Fine, but the TOS applies to < 2 years, not after. So why would I think the conversion fee applies?

Later, in the FAQ “I heard there were changes to the Terms of Service; what were those?” the full answer is:

We’ve recently made new updates to our Terms of Service that impacts users who may want to take their relationship outside of Upwork. The Conversion Fee is now 13.5% of estimated 12 month earnings and calculated differently for hourly and fixed-price projects. The Conversion Fee was formerly called the “Opt-Out Fee.”

This should explain all the changes to the TOS, but there’s nothing here about the change needing to go through the process after 2 years.

It’s only in the last question, “Are there exceptions to the Conversion Fee?“ is the need to submit the form for the $1 fee mentioned. But after all of the above, Why would we even read that far? Especially when the terms state in multiple places that the conversion fee applies within two years, not after.

So, if I take a long-term client off Upwork using my old process of “hey, we’ve been here > 2 years, let’s switch to direct-bill and be done with it”, am I breaking the TOS? I don’t think so, but I honestly can’t tell from the current TOS and help pages.

Circling back: You have a group of relatively high-earning freelancers (and hence high fee) who want to follow Upwork’s rules because it’s important to us that we are able to continue using the platform, but y’all have made it difficult for us to tell when the rules change and in this case even what the rule is.

And, like I said, this same group of freelancers I’m talking about encourages newbies to read the TOS to stay within the rules. But the impression I get from Stan’s post is “most users don’t read the TOS so why are they a big deal” and that providing adequate notice of changes is a cultural thing.

If Upwork doesn’t care about the terms, and doesn’t care if its users know about them and follow them, why should we?

View solution in original post

95 REPLIES 95
renata101
Community Member

Hey Amanda,

Thanks for posting this. I managed to find it in the User Agreement (7.3).

I can't fathom why Upwork wouldn't have announced this. Do they want us to unwittingly violate the terms?

https://www.upwork.com/legal#OPTINGOUT

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 1.11.57 PM.png

Thanks, Renata. Yes, that's the same portion I read. I appreciate you screenshotting for the thread so we can make some noise about this. While I am irritated by the change itself, I'm more irritated that Upwork did not inform us of the change. It seems to me they must have some obligation to inform us when the TOS has been updated so we can review it. I don't go through and re-read the TOS every day, and I highly doubt anyone does. 

This change appears to be nearly 3 months old, and no mention of it at all. That's just unacceptable. 

Oh wow now the method for calculating conversion fee has been made public! That's really good news. Especially for companies that work fixed price and may actually benefit from conversion.

It was always public information. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork isn't always as transparent as it ought to be with such things.

Will L wrote:

Upwork isn't always as transparent as it ought to be with such things.

That easily wins the understatement of the week award.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I wonder what happens when people don't pay $1.

The feds show up at your Palm Beach residence and ask to see your files.

And it's not refundable, oh boy we must be careful with that.

If it's a TOS violation, I guess everyone will lose exept Upwork.

Upwork will also lose when it bans or drives away all of the clients and freelancers who didn't jump through their incredibly pointless hoop and pay (or not pay, depending on how they choose to enforce their internally-contradictory policy) the $1.

I'm sure the goal is to make it easier for people to just stay on the site and keep paying fees forever, or to get advance notification when people are moving off and try to deter them, or to classify freelancers who move clients off the platform and disadvantage them somehow...it's certainly not about the dollar, and it's definitely no good for clients or freelancers. 

This section is very poorly written. While it says the fee is a nominal $1 if the relationship is at least two years old, it also says these two contradictory things AFTER that provision and with no indication that they do not apply to people in that position: 

- A discount will be applied based on fees paid in the past year (this would virtually also reduce the $1 fee to zero)

- In no event will the fee be reduced below $1,000

It is of course not possible for Upwork to apply this provision as written.

But, it appears that the $1 nominal fee isn't about the fee at all, but about creating a situation in which the client and freelancer are in breach of their Upwork contract if they fail to affirmatively opt out and pay the $1 (or not, depending on which of the contradictory provisions on the discount they follow). 

It's interesting that they're working so hard to make freelancers who build long-term relationships and pay them significant fees over time leave the site. It can't be because they really want that $1.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

$1.00? Really? What's the point of that? So dumb. Shouldn't the $1 charge for "administration purposes" just come out of the Upwork fee we've been paying for 2 years for each client? 

I was hoping they could just take it out of my unused connects balance.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Amanda,

We'll check into this (again). These should all be getting properly communicated out. I realize as much as anyone 99% of folks won't necessarily read such updates, but with that said we actually do want to be proactive about this.

tlsanders
Community Member

Actually, it shouldn't be happening at all. The two-year requirement is reasonable to ensure that Upwork's marketing efforts are profitable. This change serves no legitimate purpose. The possible "benefits" of this policy include: 

-Deterring freelancers and clients from leaving the platform

-Setting up clients and freelancers who innocently neglect the process for some sort of liability 

-Monitoring which freelancers and clients are taking long-term relationships off the platform to punish or deter them from doing so

There is a 100% chance that this was updated under the radar intentionally, since it's obviously indefensible. 

Tiffany S wrote:

Actually, it shouldn't be happening at all. The two-year requirement is reasonable to ensure that Upwork's marketing efforts are profitable. This change serves no legitimate purpose. The possible "benefits" of this policy include: 

-Deterring freelancers and clients from leaving the platform

-Setting up clients and freelancers who innocently neglect the process for some sort of liability 

-Monitoring which freelancers and clients are taking long-term relationships off the platform to punish or deter them from doing so

There is a 100% chance that this was updated under the radar intentionally, since it's obviously indefensible. 

oooooh I really like this take. It's to catch people circumventing. They offer $1 to go off platform but ooops it's only been a year and 10 months.

I AM reading that correctly yes... $1 as in one US Dollar? 

Lot of ruffled feathers over pennies it seems -- might explain why UW did not send a TOS update (would cost more to create and send than the fees generated).

Mark K wrote:

Lot of ruffled feathers over pennies it seems -- might explain why UW did not send a TOS update (would cost more to create and send than the fees generated).

No, you are not reading this discussion correctly. People have repeatedly said they don't care about the dollar. We have gone on at some length about how Upwork changed the Terms of Service, without any working notice at all, let alone highlighting the significant way in which the change puts our accounts at risk if we don't comply with the effectively secret/stealth change.

Mark K wrote:

Not 1 person has complained about the $1. You have missed the point entirely. 

I received no information on this "new feature." This is another change to the TOS that we are not informed of until it suits Upwork, especially if someone violates it. How can we do the correct thing when Upwork won't even tell us? You can't even manage to send out notifications of the TOS to the people who use them daily? I want to hear from others. Did anyone receive this notification?

Nope. I know about only from this Amanda's topic.

I only found out about it from a good friend and colleague who shall not be named. 

What's their name?

Mark,

Honest, none of us can say it. They'll zap our posts and threaten us with eternal damnation if we try it. It's kind of like Catholic private school if you're familiar with that concept.

I absolutely did not receive this notification at all.  My question about this new 'policy' is, how will Upwork actually KNOW if a client and freelancer that have worked together on Upwork for 2+ years years simply leave and take that working relationship elsewhere (such as the freelancer being hired as a full-time employee at the client's company)?   Are they simply making the assumption of a ToS 'violation' if the client or freelancer end the Upwork contract after 2 years without paying the new 'fee' or if both parties just 'abandon' the UW contract and stop all invoicing activity on Upwork?  How do they make this assumption versus it being a situation of a 2-year+ contract simply ending because the freelancer and client have no need to work together anymore or both parties simply 'lost touch' with each other and moved on to other ventures?  The whole thing sounds completely un-enforceable imho

I also think any such changes like this should only be applicable to FUTURE contracts.  There is something very wrong about Upwork changing the TERMS of existing contracts/relationships between clients and freelancers while the contract is still active.  If somebody has had an Upwork contract with a client for 4 years, they should be held responsible for the rules/terms that were in place at the time that contract was issued - 4 years ago, but not responsible for rules that changed 'in the middle of the game' - especially if those rules were changed 'quietly'. 

You can't 'ticket' somebody for running a 'stop sign' that didn't exist at the intersection at the time they drove their car through that intersection.  You can just randomly install a stop sign and retroactively 'ticket' everybody that ever drove through the intersection before the sign even existed.

a_lipsey
Community Member

I'm not sure I understand you, Stan. 

It looks like no attempt at all was meant to communicate this. So when you say it "should" be getting communicated: no post on the forum, no emails to freelancers, no notification whatsoever. That seems like a lot of different divisions not communicating something. 

This would appear to be a major breakdown in the workflow process if such a large change was decided upon, then implemented, and at no point were the teams that deal with freelancer communications charged with actually doing so. 

I'm not sure why you suppose we don't read these kind of updates. Many of us only pay attention to the forum to find out what audacious thing Upwork is going to do next. 

Furthermore it would seem you're obliged to communicate changes to the TOS to us. Upwork may reserve the right to change the TOS at any time, but unless we aware of changes we cannot continue to agree that we will abide by them. It's very sketchy, even scammy behavior. 

I appreciate you looking into it, but I'll be honest I don't really appreciate the blow off that it's not important because you think freelancers won't read updates to TOS. 

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

It looks like it got updated on the Help article, but not communicated out beyond that in our product updates/announcements as it should have been. We do have breakdowns, I'm not sure they are 'major', but compared to a year ago where we were with updates in general being shared broadly, we've come a long way. We figured out what happened in this case, and should ensure it doesn't happen again.

Not trying to blow anyone off, just meant it from the realistic data side of it that most users never go back to read the TOS again (I think overall trends globally for saas products is only like 1% of folks read it in the first place) - We have the data to show that users aren't browsing there was my point. Again, I think every change should be published in our change log, and that every user of Upwork should be subscribed there to get updates, and we'll keep on working on ways to ensure that happens.

From a more general perspective (Not specitic to TOS) - You would think it's as simple as workflow problems, but most of the time, it's a cultural thing - Many teams don't understand why anyone would care we are making a change. There is no negative intentions, but all the time we hear internally "Why would anyone care" or "That was so minor, who would even notice", followed by 100 replies in Community about said minor change. I'm hopeful we're starting to make a shift you and others will see especially going into 2023.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Stan G wrote:

It looks like it got updated on the Help article, but not communicated out beyond that in our product updates/announcements as it should have been. We do have breakdowns, I'm not sure they are 'major', but compared to a year ago where we were with updates in general being shared broadly, we've come a long way. We figured out what happened in this case, and should ensure it doesn't happen again.

Not trying to blow anyone off, just meant it from the realistic data side of it that most users never go back to read the TOS again (I think overall trends globally for saas products is only like 1% of folks read it in the first place) - We have the data to show that users aren't browsing there was my point. Again, I think every change should be published in our change log, and that every user of Upwork should be subscribed there to get updates, and we'll keep on working on ways to ensure that happens.

From a more general perspective (Not specitic to TOS) - You would think it's as simple as workflow problems, but most of the time, it's a cultural thing - Many teams don't understand why anyone would care we are making a change. There is no negative intentions, but all the time we hear internally "Why would anyone care" or "That was so minor, who would even notice", followed by 100 replies in Community about said minor change. I'm hopeful we're starting to make a shift you and others will see especially going into 2023.

Of course, I do not read the TOS again unless I am notified of a change, why should I?
I only go back to them when I have a doubt.

Do not say so convinced that most do not read them again. What you should worry about, and try to find a remedy, is all those who do not read them even the first time.

And your last paragraph, I really don't know how to respond to that. I will not be able to translate into English what is going through my head.

Maria T wrote:

Stan G wrote:

Of course, I do not read the TOS again unless I am notified of a change, why should I?
I only go back to them when I have a doubt.

Do not say so convinced that most do not read them again. What you should worry about, and try to find a remedy, is all those who do not read them even the first time.

And your last paragraph, I really don't know how to respond to that. I will not be able to translate into English what is going through my head.

Hey Maria.

I'm still mulling over this bit: "I realize as much as anyone 99% of folks won't necessarily read such updates..." This comment is extremely inappropriate in relation to a failure to communicate policy changes that could lead to freelancers unwittingly breaching the ToS and facing consequences like having their accounts shut down.

The vast majority of us aren't sitting on beaches sipping cocktails out of coconuts. Some of us actually rely on what we make here to support ourselves and our families. It's exhausting dealing with people who don't take that or us seriously.

I don't have to translate what's in my head, but there's no way I'd be able to post it.

Stan G wrote:

We figured out what happened in this case, and should ensure it doesn't happen again.
Good, thank you.
Not trying to blow anyone off, just meant it from the realistic data side of it that most users never go back to read the TOS again (I think overall trends globally for saas products is only like 1% of folks read it in the first place) - We have the data to show that users aren't browsing there was my point.
Of course we don't "browse" the ToS. That's exactly why it's Upwork's responsibility to advise us of changes.
Again, I think every change should be published in our change log, and that every user of Upwork should be subscribed there to get updates, and we'll keep on working on ways to ensure that happens.
You think change logs are more common reading than ToS? Perhaps we are using different terms. Doesn't Upwork have an Updates>Announcements page? If that's what you mean, could you please call things by their user-facing names? (And as Amanda said, news about Upwork's changes are the only reason many of us bother coming here anymore.)
That's pure noise. Culture, intentions, internal chitchat, and even user response have absolutely nothing to do with the process of informing contracting parties when terms of our contract change. That should be the Prime Directive of Upwork Communications, and an ironclad rule for oversight of the ToS. I'm surprised your lawyers are not insisting on it, as those of other fiduciary institutions do.

1000 kudos, sorry upvotes. 

Cultural thing? Really?

People don't want to get suspended for unwittingly violating a new ToS stipulation. 

Respectfully, have you ever tried freelancing on a platform that secretly changes the rules?

re: "Respectfully, have you ever tried freelancing on a platform that secretly changes the rules?"

I assume that all platforms secretly change their rules.

Looks like their purpose was achieved, though--we're all talking about them sneakily updating the TOS and there's almost no attention on the horrendous new rule they were concealing.

I agree with you. Some are saying, "We don't care about the $1 charge, that's not the issue." But I do care, and I want to know why Upwork needs to implement an "admin fee", when absolutely no admin is required from them. There must be another reason why this is suddenly necessary.

Lol Stan, are you sure you should be using this forum to denigrate your teams?

kfarnell
Community Member

Clearly *someone* has gone back to read the ToS again, otherwise no one here would know about this.

Presumably the situation is now about to be rectified and the change will be made clear to everyone? Because those reading here are only a very small percentage of people who could be affected.

Interestingly enough, I first read about it on reddit. Thought that surely must be a joke, looked it up, and it wasn't.

But this is a major change - from not having to do anything at all, to a formal exit process. If there is a rule, it can be violated. What I still want to know (really), is what happens if freelancers don't use the new exit process?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members