🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Taking a vacation in a different country, how...
Page options
24d178e7
Community Member

Taking a vacation in a different country, how do I ensure I don't get suspended?

Hello!  I'll be travelling from the US to the UK for about 20 days. While I don't plan to work much if at all, I want to be able to log in and talk to my clients if they have any questions.

How do I ensure I don't get in any trouble for changing locations briefly? On another freelancing site I've used, I tried to log in without giving notice of me being out of the country, and they instantly suspended my account. I had to submit a very detailed form to have it unsuspended and to be able to work again.

Is there a form I need to fill out ahead of time or some notice I should give? Has anyone else travelled out of their home country while logging into Upwork, and did you experience any issues? My account is relatively new as well, so it concerns me a bit. Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork is not the vacation police.

If you are going to travel to the U.K. for 20 days, it is not Upwork's intention that you change your location setting on your profile page while you are there.

You are not going to get into any trouble if you travel.

If Upwork's automated algorithms detect that something is amiss, a human Upwork representative will check with you. Upwork's automated algorithms are not going to detect that you are logging in from a different place and then automatically suspend you.

re: "Is there a form I need to fill out ahead of time or some notice I should give?"

Upwork has no such form.

Upwork asks that travellers abide by locally applicable laws and regulations. But Upwork itself does not issue those rules or provide information about such rules and regulations.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork is not the vacation police.

If you are going to travel to the U.K. for 20 days, it is not Upwork's intention that you change your location setting on your profile page while you are there.

You are not going to get into any trouble if you travel.

If Upwork's automated algorithms detect that something is amiss, a human Upwork representative will check with you. Upwork's automated algorithms are not going to detect that you are logging in from a different place and then automatically suspend you.

re: "Is there a form I need to fill out ahead of time or some notice I should give?"

Upwork has no such form.

Upwork asks that travellers abide by locally applicable laws and regulations. But Upwork itself does not issue those rules or provide information about such rules and regulations.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Amanda F.,

I live in the US and regularly travel to other countries, never interrupting my work for Upwork clients.

Only once in the past five years (at least) has the Upwork system questioned my credentials during those travels or any other time. All I had to do to sort it out was have a quick online call with an Upwork representative.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members