🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time Tracker doesn't track all my time
Page options
bd47ba60
Community Member

Time Tracker doesn't track all my time

Hi there!

I am working in Customer Support via Upwork. I am getting paid for my time per hour.
So even if there is no one texting me, I am sitting in front of my computer and the tracker is supposed to track my time.
Now, I notived, that sometimes the Tracker is not taking a screenshot and is therefore not tracking my time for short periods of 10-20 minutes. Where does that come from? Sometimes i dont klick or move my mouse for a while but it counts the time, sometimes it does not. Does anyone know why and hoe to fix that?

Kind regards,

Lukas
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shummas
Community Member

Yes. I'm a writer, and often when I'm reading some source material (usually in the first 10-20 minutes) my activity levels show up as extremely low. The time tracker records keystrokes, mouse clicks, and scroll actions to determine the activity level.

So, I've developed a habit of fidgeting with my cursor at random while I'm reading the material, to let the tracker know that I'm alive haha.

For as long as you can justify the time logged and your attention is fully directed to the work at hand, and you're on the same page with your client, it is okay to click/scroll every once in a while to avoid "inactivity".

But NEVER use any auto-clicking bots or scripts to heighten your activity level. NEVER do that. Things like that can get you banned.

Just stay true to the nature of your work and you're good to go. Also, manual hours do not qualify for Upwork's hourly protection so that's at your own risk.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
shummas
Community Member

Apparently, the time tracker does not take any screenshots during extended periods of complete inactivity. That should be the reason.

Even if your work involves a lot of reading, chances are that you are clicking and scrolling several times in 10 minutes. The tracker should deem you 'active' in that case. Though, segments with extended full inactivity are not logged.

bd47ba60
Community Member

Hey thank You for your help!
Okay, I see. We indeed have these times, when there is completely nothing happening for a while. So is it, that the tracker not only doesnt take screenshots, but also doesnt track this time then? So I guess i have to at least move my mouse sometimes, if there is nothing going on or check the work diary in the end of the week and fill up the gaps manually?
Thank You so much. Me and my team were quite confused.

Hi Lukas,

I would like to confirm that this is correct. If there's no activity your time will not be recorded. For these time segments maybe it's better to add manual time. However, please keep in mind that manual time is not covered under our Upwork Hourly Protection.
If something is still confusing, feel free to follow up here with more details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The thing is if a person is attending a zoom meeting on the same system, still up works does not track time of no mouse clicks or movements are detected ( which is a reasonable occurance)

Your tech is faulty

Take notes on your computer during the meeting with the tracker on.

That works, but it would be great if we could just do the work and not have to artificially do things that serve no purpose except to repeatedly notify the time tracker that we're still participating in the meeting or reading the article or whatever.

+1

shummas
Community Member

Yes. I'm a writer, and often when I'm reading some source material (usually in the first 10-20 minutes) my activity levels show up as extremely low. The time tracker records keystrokes, mouse clicks, and scroll actions to determine the activity level.

So, I've developed a habit of fidgeting with my cursor at random while I'm reading the material, to let the tracker know that I'm alive haha.

For as long as you can justify the time logged and your attention is fully directed to the work at hand, and you're on the same page with your client, it is okay to click/scroll every once in a while to avoid "inactivity".

But NEVER use any auto-clicking bots or scripts to heighten your activity level. NEVER do that. Things like that can get you banned.

Just stay true to the nature of your work and you're good to go. Also, manual hours do not qualify for Upwork's hourly protection so that's at your own risk.

bd47ba60
Community Member

Sure, I understand. Yeah my boss is cool with that. If there are no customers, there are no customers. Its just important we are online. Okay, so I will follow your tipps and check my diary if there is any time not tracked because of that! Thank You very much guys! I wish You plentyful earnings and a great day:)

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

m having issue with time tracker. Some of my time weren't tracked even though I'm working. There's a total of 9hrs from the time tracker but  when i checked on my work diary, it only shows a total of 5hrs

Hi Ann,

Feel free to submit a support ticket from the app so that our team can review your logs and assist you further. To do this, open the Desktop app > Click on the Settings Cog > Support & Feedback. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
aileenrosenadela
Community Member

Hello! I've been encountering the same error above -- my Upwork tracker is not tracking my time. I have tried so many times restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the application but still no luck. Please help me with this. 

Thank you!

Hi Aileen, 

May I direct you to the troubleshooting steps here to see if it will work? Please check the "Unable to Track Time" section to see if this will resolve your issue. Otherwise, you can try uninstalling the Upwork Desktop App and following the steps in the section "How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache" to delete the Desktop App from your machine completely. Afterward, please reinstall the app. 

Let us know if the issue persists after troubleshooting your app. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello!

I tried all of the solutions you have mentioned above but sad to say, Upwork is not tracking my time. 

Hi Aileen,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear that the solution did not help. Could you please share the following information so that we can forward it to our team to be investigated further?
  • Browser/s used
  • Browser version
  • Machine’s OS
  • Machine’s OS version
  • Screengrab of the issue
  • Additional details that may help us/the team investigate your concern better

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members