🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,674 REPLIES 1,674
5b98d9dd
Community Member

Hello Zhanna. I'm Rostislav, I'm new to freelancing, I'm from Ukraine, now there is a war in our country and there is no income, I want you to help me a little. I'm not sure what you will answer me, I almost gave up

Unfortunately, there are no easy or quick paths to freelancing, no matter how dire your situation. If you are serious about freelancing, you have to do it on your own. The rules don't change because life turns awful. The best thing you can do is read through the top post and follow every link. You need to decide if freelancing is going to benefit you in your situation. It takes time, money, and lots of proposals.

Have someone with a native or bilingual level of English revise your profile. You will need to add to it, add portfolio items, and many other things you will learn in the Academy and threads. As it stands now, only scammers will offer you fake jobs. A complete profile is key to looking like a professional freelancer.

I sincerely, wish you the best of luck.

This caught my attention "The rules don't change because life turns awful." This is a useful lesson every business should learn. 

04eb2997
Community Member

Hi Jeanne H
Can I accept clients who cancelled jobs on the Upwork system?

If you are asking if you can work with someone who has posted a job on Upwork, it has to be two years afterward or there is  a $1000.00 fee.

a3b413a4
Community Member

member of the community

06bd2ebc
Community Member

Hi. I have been wondering how I could get the Rising Talent Badge. I have been active in Upwork since June 2022, and I met the qualifications already but I don't see the badge on my profile yet. I hope you could enlighten me about this soon. Thank you! 

Hi Michaela Joyce,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We admire your eagerness to get the Rising Talent badge. Please note that the Rising Talent status is assigned automatically when a freelancer meets the requirements listed in this help article.

This process is working as designed, and we can't specify a reason why a freelancer isn't eligible to receive the Rising Talent badge. Once you qualify, you should receive a notification letting you know. Keep up the amazing work and best of luck!

~ Arjay
Upwork
3b20e66a
Community Member

can i login two different accounts in same pc and same ip address.

b16a51d3
Community Member

I am eso expert. For offsite seo i need backlinking. So anyone have sites to help me in guest poting. I want to create links there. Please share thanks..

This is not the place to look for jobs. Read the top post and go through every link. You need to learn how Upwork functions. Your profile says you are an inexperienced person who has no idea how the platform works, and you will be scammed.

c2af7dc4
Community Member

The post advises freelancers to use the vast resources available on Upwork to educate themselves about freelancing, including the Terms of Service, webinars, safety information, and forum threads. It also cautions that freelancing is not for everyone and requires hard work, adherence to rules, and self-responsibility.

The post suggests that success on Upwork comes from having skills, treating freelancing as a business, and using all 15 skills. It also advises against personal messages and urges patience.

eb4b5b9f
Community Member

I'm looking for testing work

Well, you won't find a job here. This is the community forum. Why would you post here asking for a job? This is a serious question. You go right by all the information to ask for a job. I don't understand; could you enlighten me?

Why didn't you read the top post? Everything you need to know is there. Do the necessary work, which you have not. Your profile is an invitation to be scammed.

freud-
Community Member

Maybe you should reconstruct and paraphrase your word, also be more specific.

1f8cde66
Community Member

i am very interested to work on upwork

If you are serious, you have a lot of work to do. Go back to the top post, and read it. Right now, you are an invitation to be scammed. You obviously haven't gone through Upwork rules. You don't know how the platform works, or you wouldn't be here looking for work.

2b13c177
Community Member

I am Solomon a Graphics Designer i am new been here for a while but i just started using this platform though and also struggling to get a client. 

Read the top post you apparently ignored, and go through all the links. You need to learn the rule before you are scammed. The Academy has lots of information on improving your proposals, profile, and more.

You haven't done the basics on your profile, and I doubt you read the Terms of Service. You will not get a legitimate job with your current status.

59f51a17
Community Member

I'm  ready to start my work

No, you are not ready for anything but being scammed. I don't understand. I post a thorough guide that is even pinned to the top, and yet people go over it and want a job. You have no profile, job qualifications, portfolio and have put no effort into your profile. No one is going to give you a job. You are a target for scammers, but hey, if that's what you want to do, you have free will.

Go back to the top of the page and read the post, and follow every link. Spend time learning before you lose your money. Inexperienced freelancers have to be cautious. There are scammers on the platform that look for people who haven't done the work to know and follow the rules. Don't be a victim. If you are serious about freelancing, be prepared to work hard, spend a lot of proposals, and spend money on connects.

fb1292ff
Community Member

Hi I am Ralita and I'm new to Upwork. I would really appreciate it if someone could mentor me. 

As a new freelancer, there is a lot of work to be done by yourself before offering your services. Look at the top of this page to read the main article and follow all the links in it.

e6417c55
Community Member

Hello everyone!

I need your help writing a proposal can someone give me a proposal template? any guidance will appreciated in advance.

Profile link
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/zeeshanraza13

Thanks.

Go back to the top of the page and go through the Academy links or the ones in my post. Your profile needs work. Learn through Upwork resources about profiles and proposals. While a template is OK, if your proposals are not original, and you send the same one to all clients, it is going to be kicked to the bottom of the list.

The proposals need to be long enough to cover how you will complete the job. While Upwork and some freelancers will tell you to keep it around 100 words, for many jobs, that simply isn't telling the client anything. The proposal should let the client know why you will do a wonderful job. If it takes 500 or 1000 words to do what's necessary, use it. If it can be accomplished in 200 words, then that's ok, too. It depends on the job.

You dont need proposal sample, onlyb watch FreelanceMVP in Upwork blog

Tural Babashov

Zeeshan,

Keep the proposal to 100 words or less and only apply to jobs that match your Upwork profile. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for success tips.

e5cf79eb
Community Member

Hey Jeanne, that was very helpful. You did a very great job. Well I am new to upwork and have been struggling but I believe that i can do it I have skills I like to learn and I am passionate can you tell me 2-3 more tips for me that can help me in future I would be greatful. have a great day!

Be prepared to send lots of proposals and spend money.

Only apply for jobs you are well qualified for and know you can complete.

Boost only when you are well qualified and certain you can do the job better than almost anyone.

Thankyou so much! But i also learned somewhere to be patient and dont apply to much apply 1 proposal a day. Should I cut the strategy off ? 

Patience and determination are necessary.

As I said, only apply for jobs when you know you understand the requirements and can complete the project with high-quality. It doesn't matter how many. Some will tell you to apply all day long, but that just wastes time, money, and effort. If you don't see a job to apply for, don't apply. If you see four in one day that look great, apply to all.

great idea

Tural Babashov

Do not give up, if you have to do small jobs to get started on the platform and gain some reviews, do not hesitate. Just keep going and eventually your profile will build up without a worry.

I have been trying since last two weeks but it have been tough weeks no outcome at all but you're right to do not lose the hope. thankyou Nicholas

aamir4248
Community Member

Yes, i want to get help frm you becaasue i am new here and understanding things from the seniors. Please help me to sort out my issues on this. I will be grateful to you. 

I'm sure you would be grateful if I stopped my life to get yours together. I am pretty sure I have spoken with you before. However, regardless of our previous contact, you haven't done the basic work. You go right by the key to all the answers you need, to ask for more help. I have a question - why should I donate my time, energy, and business and freelance acumen to people who haven't even tried? Or, for that matter, anyone?

If the thousands of freelancers begging/demanding/guilting/ for a job or how to function had to pay me, guess how many there would be demanding my help? I don't want to monetize my help; I don't roll that way. However, if it would eliminate people who don't want to work and clear my messages, maybe I should.

Seriously, why do you feel I should provide even more help, individually, to people like you? I am quite serious. I am trying to understand the situation and why so very many expect me to give them everything.

thank you very much

Tural Babashov
5a439bc0
Community Member

Thank you for sharing. This is really helpful as a new freelancer!

8769fbcb
Community Member

Hi! I'm new to upwork. is there a way to message to other freelancers on Upwork or any other way of connection?

Hi Nadia! 
You can always meet your fellows here at the forum and connect with them. Have a wonderful journey at Upwork. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members