🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,683 REPLIES 1,683

You need to go back to the top of the page, read it, and follow every link. You are at risk of being scammed and not being hired because your profile needs work. No client wants a list of stuff; they want to know how you will do a great job for them.

The public ratings and stars are not what impacts your long term scores. It is the private feedback that determines scores, along with other secret metrics.

If you want to be a freelancer, work on your profile, portfolio, and pay special attention to the proposals you send. Don't apply for jobs out of desperation; only apply for jobs you are qualified for and can complete to expectations.

It will take a lot of proposals and connects to land your first job, but there are successful freelancers. Not only will a full profile aid you in getting jobs, it also helps to chase off scammers, who are looking for freelancers who will go off site, only to be scammed.

Jeanne,

You are an absolute blessing. I agree with what you say. Upwork is a learning curve itself along with freelancing and working. I spent alot of hours going through material and learning for myself but maybe because I want to and I also want to avoid scams and become successful. 

It's very true need to be prepared to send alot of proposals and learn about them and spend alot of connects as most jobs there's a lot of high bidding for. That and clients get large amounts of proposals and might reach out to you see a better one and ghost you thats happened me before contract stage. Agreeing a time to discuss and ghosted. 

355fa829
Community Member

Hello jeanne H, you have stated a well defined solution for most of the people that are struggleing to work on upwork, I want to ask you to kindly help me land my first upwork job?

The reason I created the top post was to help freelancers, without doing it one by one. I'm confused because you say I wrote a well-defined solution for most people. Is there something in particular that you require? I believe if you read my post and follow the links, you will know enough about the Upwork platform to function here.

The way most get jobs is to apply with excellent proposals, only boost when you are better than the others for the position, and be prepared to write a lot of proposals and spend lots of connects.

a011099d
Community Member

I need help to my Freelance skills

Go back to the top post and read it, then follow every single link. The help you need is already there, if you would use it. Your profile introduction needs work, and you need a portfolio. You are a target for scammers, and you need to learn how to protect yourself. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags from Wes.

e8754c77
Community Member

Hi

I'm new to upworks and want to clarify.

Do I have to send a proposal for my profile to be reviewed for a potencial job?

Will clients not review a profile if thier is no proposal?

Thanks

Hasina

Hasina, you need to go back to the top post and read it, and then follow every link. You are not prepared for freelancing and your profile needs a lot of work.

Yes, you have to send proposals, but you are not ready to starts sending proposals. You need to learn the rules, which you have not. Every freelancer is in business for themselves. No one will protect you from scammers; you have to protect yourself. Use the Upwork resources and follow the rules of contact. Currently, the only jobs you will be offered are from scammers.

968ad762
Community Member

Hi Jeanne,

I have just registered on Upwork, but I have some complications on the site.
- How and where can I find the answer of the client I have chosen?
- How do I upload my application and how do I send it to them after I have finished?
- How do I get paid? Is there a place to put my account number?

Thank you in advance.

elisa_b
Community Member
technician1
Community Member

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on freelancing. It's true that Upwork provides a wealth of information for new freelancers, and it's important to take advantage of those resources before seeking additional help. But don't worry, with hard work and perseverance, success is definitely possible on the platform. And I love the additional tips from Prashant, Susan, Martina, and Maria - all great advice. Let's keep pushing forward and achieving our goals!

I would recommend you do the following:

1. read all the rules + watch all videos  tutorials
2. look at other freelancers in your niche

3. get smaller jobs which will help you learn the process

4. build a reputation and slowly scale up.

2b4d9a3b
Community Member

Yes, I appreciate your opinion!

ollietinsley
Community Member

I think too many people want to freelance without first having some real world experience in their fields. If you dont at least know the industry standards and best practices, you probably don't have enough experience to be freelancing. You definitely wont do well in interviews, hence not many opportunities. Even after you have experience you need to build a foundation freelancing. 

I agree. I was doing marketing for 8 years before I really took my freelancing to the next level.

That's probably also because on the internet there are countless articles, blog posts, etc. describing how it is easy to work from home. I am nauseated by the amount of clickbait content promoting this and that platform - according to which, basically you just need a computer and an internet connection to earn a living.

Community Member

Hello Jeanne H. 

I would Like to ask you when is next JSS Update is coming

May 28th

5475e7fc
Community Member

Freelancers arenot free to contact, are you now ?

There is no charge to contact other freelancers. No one should be charging to connect to anyone. If you find someone who is, report them to Upwork. I do not charge for any assistance I provide to freelancers on this forum.

However, please do not send me private messages, as I will no longer answer them. Upwork gives me no way to control the flood, so I am going to start deleting them all. I am not going to spend my life helping people on this platform.

There are a lot of people selling their "expertise" to other freelancers. As I said in my post, you don't need me, and you don't need anyone else to tell you how to do well on Upwork.

I used to advise businesses, but no longer. Too many are just like Upwork freelancers, who refuse to put any funds or effort into the basics and foundation. If I started to charge again, I have no doubt I would not be inundated with freelancers wanting more and more help.

2aeabfcd
Community Member

Thank you for sharing! 

965bcde4
Community Member

Hi! Can someone please tell what should do to optimize my profile?

Go back to the top post, and follow the links. Have you read the Terms of Service? Do you understand hourly, correctly tracked, contracts? Fixed price? If you haven't done the basics, go back and do it now. Freelancers who don't have profiles, and don't follow the rules, are scammed by the hour.

Your profile should be rewritten. Way too many emojis and no information. You have to tell the client what you can do better than almost anyone.

You need to go back to the top of the page, and follow every link. From your profile, I am guessing you haven't read the rules. If you don't know the Terms of Service, and haven't used the links, you are going to be scammed.

Your introduction is just a list of things. You need to tell potential clients how you will use your skills to complete the job better than anyone else.

I tell you honestly, clients hate this:

"Gʀᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢs:exclamation_mark:LJ ʜᴇʀᴇ 👋 Rᴇᴀᴅʏ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴠᴇʟ ᴜᴘ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙᴜsɪɴᴇss ɢᴀᴍᴇ:question_mark:🅷🅸🆁🅴 🅼🅴 ツ"

Clients will stop looking when they see "Hire me."

e990b8ad
Community Member

Hello Jeanne H, I'm a freelance 3D artist with 1 year experince. In upwork I only had to send 4 proposal to get my 1st job. after that I have send more than 20 proposals and still nothing. I even try to figure out what I did in the proposal that got me the job. appriciate any help you can give. Thank you!

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/tharkak

You were fortunate to land a job so quickly. Many new people send out 100 proposals before being hired. Your profile needs work. Tell the client why you are the best, and tell them what you will do better. I don't mean literally saying, "I'm the best." While some people do, it won't get jobs.

If you haven't yet, use the links in the top post to learn about the platform and how to set up contracts. There is additional help for proposals. Write the proposal catering to the job. Your proposals need to be original and pertinent to the job. Don't worry about the proposals once it's submitted. Don't look back, keep applying for jobs you know you can complete better than most. Do not apply to jobs you think you can do because you get desperate.

Apparently, the clients only see the first two sentences before they open the proposal, so make those impactful.

nabiyaemaan
Community Member

Please examine my profile as I haven't had any employment offers in the last few months.
I tried everything, but it wasn't successful for me.

Can you please help me?

Awaiting your response.

Best wishes,
Nabiya

Your profile is set to private. Please set to "public" so I can see your profile.

f6d4d51b
Community Member

Dear Jeanee H:

Your comments are very helpfull, can you please review my profile as well.

Regards

Zeeshan alam 

Zeeshan, you haven't made a profile, there is nothing there. Start with a good photo of just your head. I'm assuming when you say student, you mean college and that you are over 18.

You need to take an honest look at your marketable skills. Currently, you are a target for scammers because they can see from your profile you don't know how to use the platform. Go back to the top post and read it, and follow every link. I can tell you haven't done the basics and don't know about fixed price or hourly contracts, or making the big mistake that people do so often when going outside of Upwork for any reason before a contract is in place.

Freelancing is not easy or cheap. With no marketable skills, you will be scammed. You need to sit down and think about what you can do well. We all have skills, but not all of us have skills that can be used in this platform. Do you have skills that will work online? Only you know.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I am trying to help you see the reality before you spend a lot of time and money. If you are going to freelance, you must have a marketable skill, such as building the workings of a website, or writing a speech. If you don't have such skills, it is going to be very hard for you to get a real job. If you do have skills and are prepared to spend time, money, and effort, everyone started where you are.

Go back to the top post and read it, follow every link, and use the Upwork resources that are available. Please don't apply for any job until you have done the work. I hate to see people scammed, but it's your choice.

b60ed902
Community Member

Your profile needs work. Go back to the top post and hover over the links. You should take advantage of New to Upwork and all the courses available. Your profile needs to tell the client what you will do for them that is different from all the rest. How you will complete the job and produce a better result than the other applicants. Have paragraphs instead of a list. Add to your portfolio and find photos to represent your work.

7c208e3e
Community Member

Hi Jeanne H,

I hope you are in great shape. It is an excellent initiative for newcomers like me. Please review my profile.
Love from,
~Abdullah.

You need to tell the client what you will do for them with your skills. Break up the way too long list and use words instead.  Use the links to the Academy for more help. (Hover over the links in the top post)

f1ecd428
Community Member

Can't believe people are coming here with the same questions over and over even when the answers are already on the links you shared. I admire your patience, Jeanne.

Javiera,

Please use two exact Skills in the Title and write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary removing the words "About my work". Focus on the first sentence because it appears in client search.

Sometimes I wonder if you even read the messages you reply to.

From my private messages about this, definitely not. Makes people mad and not want to post, too.

This is not the job advice thread. Why do you go back in time to post something the OP has no interest in? Why add in irrelevant posting when there are multiple threads that go wanting for help?

Why do you think someone with a 100% job score, something many even top rated freelancers throwing advice don't have and never achieve, needs advice on their profile, when they didn't ask for it? I know, you refuse to answer any questions from anyone you don't consider worthy.

financemark
Community Member

............and then, after you have invested all of this time and effort, given UW 10% of your earnings, be prepared to spend 16 CONNECTS to continue !!!

Oh, and be grateful that you are even allowed on UW -- afterall, you are a freelancer and you are costing them lots of $$, dont you know!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members