🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,673 REPLIES 1,673
anmol0721
Community Member

Thanks for the information that was really helpful

e20c9ed7
Community Member

Thank you for sharing. This provided a lot of value!

8426b976
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing!

e344a75d
Community Member

You are right.

Thanks for sharing 

f92d9b34
Community Member

Hello, Mam 

I applied for project on 14 feb 2023 as a data entry operator and still got no reply from upwork. What should I have to do? 

It's the client who would be contacting you with a job offer. It's a mistake to apply for a job and wait to be hired. You will need to apply for multiple jobs. Sometimes the jobs close with no hiring and no contact from the client. Apply and move on.

thanks

Tural Babashov

Thanks for sharing 

d37836d9
Community Member

Hi,

I'm so new and I really wanna be educated well enough to stand right. I have actually sent 1 or 2 proposals today. I don't wanna mess up if I'm privilege to land a job. Pls, I need tips for a started. I'm skilled with good potentials. But being skilled without proper knowledge and how to apply my skilled would be a bad thing. Thank you.

If you have not, read everything in the top post and follow every link. You need to start at the beginning, and before you send out any more proposals. There are numerous help sections from Upwork through the links to the Academy and other information. Because you are new, you are at risk of being scammed. You must learn the red flags from Wes.

You need to make changes to your profile and portfolio. All of this and more information is at your fingertips. If you don't protect yourself by following the rules, you will be scammed. It's not easy to break into freelancing, and you will likely send a lot of proposals and spend a lot of connects before you land a job.

thanks a lot

Tural Babashov

You can learn from Upwork academy

Tural Babashov
0fe9536b
Community Member

Very realistic but too hard stance

d1ee247e
Community Member

Super 

thehassan57
Community Member

Thankyou!

2a5a86bb
Community Member

Your words are very logical,,,

7108915d
Community Member

Hi 

Im Karen, Im new year.

Hey karen, The best think you can do is make make sure your prfile is complete and read all you can / learn all you can.

Karen, you need to read the top post and follow every link. Right now, your profile is only going to attract scammers.

mohsinkhatri74
Community Member

Hello 

I am interested to join Agency and work for it.

I am certified Quickbooks Online Pro Advisor. I have done MBA In Finance and working as Finance Manager.

Interested Agency are requested to contact please.

Regard

👍

Moshin, the community forum is not the place to look for jobs. Please use the jobs feed.

great idea

Tural Babashov
f0703182
Community Member

pujadhunna
Community Member

Thank you

e8a35f86
Community Member

Absolutely true, and your words means a lot. 

As a new freelnacer @Upwork, my primary focus right now is establishing ongoing client relationships, follow the rules and how everything works step by step. Also, accept rejection as part of the job ! ( I GOT A LOT OF REJECTIONS ... LOL)! 

So, keep up the motiviation and productivity. 

Good luck teamates, 

bec23653
Community Member

How bad the DM flood is?

c6101389
Community Member

Dear Jeanne, 

Thank you so much for guiding and helping new freelancers to pave their own way. 

yoshuayasmin
Community Member

Finally, someone who said it all! (Don't blame me for saying "finally", since I have only recently come back to Upwork LOL)

378809ce
Community Member

Thanks Jeanne, I'm new to Upwork and working towards getting my first job, but your post is a great resource. I am sensing so far in my journey here that patience is crucial, and getting all the foundational stuff in place. I like your emphasis on taking responsibility, when I feel frustration taking over it could be easy to slip into victimhood. Now, back to work...

oahmad1
Community Member

"Similar Jobs" and "Other Jobs" are excellent sources of information.

kdichdesign
Community Member

ook , thanks

f23502d2
Community Member

I might need help navigating

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure what help you need.

3e254b0b
Community Member

Great information to me especially. 

Ruth,

Please go to Settings and update to Public so we can see your Profile.

0fe9536b
Community Member

Very realistic and practical approach

Appreciated 

Mehmond,

Please go to Settings and update to Public so we can see your Profile.

7cfb8a5e
Community Member

hi there, jeanne could you give me a job?

Cagatay Mustafa, this is the community forum, and not the jobs feed. No one is going to hire you here. You need to read the post at the top, and read through every link. You have to start at the beginning, or you will be scammed.

You have a lot of work to do and are not ready to apply for jobs. You need a profile, a portfolio, and most of all knowledge as to how to conduct yourself as a self-employed freelancer.

I do not "give" anyone a job. (To the freelancers asking/demanding jobs, money, or other similar, I am not a client, I do not hire. I recommend on a list of pre-vetted freelancers.)

Freelancing is not for everyone. If you think your approach will work, you may need to rethink your freelancing career.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members