🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tons of spam
Page options
00e8c147
Community Member

Tons of spam

Hello,
I want to speak to the management of Upwork. Is it possible to make it so that a job post is posted only after payment method confirmation? I am one of those freelancers who understands that this is a scam, but surely some follow the links, and some lose their connects on these posts. Anyway, it is annoying to see so much spam in the feed. The same messages appear 10 times a day, the guy doesn't even change the link.
Payment confirmation doesn't require a charge, I don't think it would be a problem for someone who wants to get the work done to confirm the payment method.

I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Nikita

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
luce-neidert
Community Member

Let's see what the management of Upwork will do of your request, Nikita 😁

d00c8a3b
Community Member

To address the issue of spam on Upwork, it's important to understand that Upwork already has various measures in place to combat spam and fraudulent activity on its platform. However, no system is perfect, and spam can still sometimes slip through the cracks.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Were you able to write that yourself? Chat GPT must have heard of how the managers of Upwork are managing or not the spam problem!

b6972fdb
Community Member

Scammers are everywhere now and fake posts are indeed annoying. I get them all the time through LinkedIn, Behance, Indeed, here, and on Fiverr. (I have since deleted fiverr because of it.) All claiming they have my "dream" job. These sites do the very best to remove them, but understand...scammers can post another ask under a different bogus account. So we have to do our due diligence.

celgins
Community Member

Yes, it is possible, but Upwork doesn't require clients to verify payment before posting a job. This has been the case for years, and Upwork management will tell you that payment verification consists of two small, reversible charges to the client's payment method. The charges are refunded to the client's payment method after it's verified.

Aside from this, payment verification means very little because most scammers are using stolen credit cards or other fraudulent methods.

The best course of action for freelancers is to thoroughly vet jobs before spending Connects to apply. This means getting better at detecting and avoiding scam jobs.

LuiggiR

Hello Nikita,

I want to thank you for flagging these job posts. I escalated all these, and they will be removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service.

In addition, I understand your concern about having additional security measures in place, like a payment confirmation process, to help prevent these jobs from appearing in the first place. Although we can't guarantee that something of that nature will be implemented in the near future, I'm happy to share your post with the relevant teams for consideration.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
00e8c147
Community Member

Hello Luiggi,
Maybe there is no need to confirm their payment method, but just block suspicious links, e.g. allow only Loom, Google, Dropbox and maybe Notion

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

We appreciate the suggestion, Nikita. I'll be sure to share this with the team as well. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
00e8c147
Community Member

Thank you, Luiggi! I appreciate it!

ana_cuervo
Community Member

The way I used to eliminate scam job posts from my feed was by selecting the "payment verified" filter. Today, to my horror, I discover that this kind of job posts now appear with verified payment methods! So that's not a solution anymore.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members