🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork
Page options
gopip18
Community Member

Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork

Please check my Legal Taxpayer Name. Now I verified the legal name and PAN number. Please check and approve.

gopip18_1-1646185972652.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdul, 

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

365 REPLIES 365
759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Manjeet,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
e6b09b4e
Community Member

I already updated my tax information on 11/06/2023. But Upwork is still charging me wrong tax and WHT. Why? Please fix this and refund my earning. This is hurting me a lot. Why are you not understanding?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

d52766cb
Community Member

Hi,

I've recently started working on a project. But, Upwork is withholding 5% tax from every payment even though I've filled out the W-8BEN form and provided my PAN details and all these have completed status. I did not get any notification or email regarding the PAN verification. Please help me out in reducing the Withholding tax.

Thank you,

Shubham K.

Hi Shubham,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
mkrishna8_
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

I've provided my PAN card details and it's verified. But still, 5% WHT has been deducted from my recent work instead of 1%.

Can someone help me with this issue, please?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Krishna,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
dhavalvora
Community Member

The same thing happened to me,
Even though my PAN card is linked to my Adhar card, there was a 5% deduction from my payment,

Please take a look.

Thanks.

Hi Dhaval,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
5134f8cd
Community Member

how should i go about it?

Hi Chahat,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
98754e24
Community Member

please help me!!!i uploaded all the documents related to my PAN but still upwork charged me 5% tax 

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Divya,

~ AJ
Upwork
2a6dcde5
Community Member

Hello,

I have added the PAN card to the profile. Will it still take an extra 5% instead of 1%? 

How can I get the 5% which was taken in the last transaction?

Regards

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for your message. If you have a verified PAN on file and you linked your PAN to your Aadhaar number by the Indian government’s deadline, we are required to withhold 1% of client payments. 

I checked your account and noticed that you submitted the PAN details on July 9th while the last earnings were processed on July 7th. We are unable to refund the amount charged with a 5% Withheld Tax as this is already submitted to your government. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, 

How do I come to know that my PAN is verified? Will it still deduct 5% from future transactions?

Thanks

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please be reminded that the amount of TDS we are required to withhold depends on whether you have a valid PAN on file with Upwork:

• If you have a verified PAN on file and you linked your PAN to your Aadhaar number by the Indian government’s deadline, we are required to withhold 1% of client payments
  • If you do not have a verified PAN on file, we are required to withhold 5.0% of client payments

The team will surely let you know if further verification needs to be performed. Also, the withholding tax is calculated based on the gross amount that you invoice your client, so it is calculated prior to freelancer service fees or any other fees that may reduce the amount credited to your account. You may check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f21a01c5
Community Member

I have added the pan details and it is showing completed . I have filled the necessary form for tax identification as well. but when my client release the pay. withholdig tax of 5% is deducted . How can i get it back 

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tripti,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We will only start to withhold a 1% tax on your account after it has been validated. Any payments before it was validated will still be be charged 5% tax.

~ AJ
Upwork
c160b586
Community Member

I am a non-taxpayer non-US resident. I cannot find the option to put my PAN number in the account. Please help me out.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Susmita,

You may enter your PAN in the Tax Info section under Settings. Please also double-check the format you will be using. As defined by the Indian government, the proper format is:

• 10-digit alphanumeric entry, i.e., A A A A A # # # # A
  • # = Numeric A = Alphabetic

~ AJ
Upwork
cb34ef4a
Community Member

Hello,

I have add agency PAN Card details on agency account. Will upwork still take 5% extra commision?

Thank You!!

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Neetu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As long as you fill out your tax information and provide your PAN details, the withholding tax should be reduced to 1% instead of 5%.

~ AJ
Upwork
cb34ef4a
Community Member

Yes, It should take only 1% after adding. I was reading on internet and some person were saying that ,  it took extra 5% after adding the details. Could you please confirm that it will not take 5%?

Thanks.

5fd3c6f8
Community Member

You need W8 EIN number OR  W9 code

Tural Babashov
f0bab25e
Community Member

Can I request a reimbursement for the 4% withholding tax that was deducted from my Upwork payments prior to my PAN verification, given that they currently deduct only 1% following the verification?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members