🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unrealistic Client Epectations
Page options
3314778e
Community Member

Unrealistic Client Epectations

I recently submitted the work for approval. The task was to test a wordpress website security for DDOS attack. I completed the task and gave the evidence that it is vulnerable. The client is insisting on that I should give him the full access to the website.  The Contract title and Job posting had no evidence of this outcome that you are supposed to give me access to the site. I checked client's background he is working in a small security firm and seems professional (based on linkedin) but this is so crazy and Now he is not accepting the milestones. 

What would be the best approach to solve this. I have never experienced this issue so please guide me to solve it. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Can upwork dispute help my issue?"

It is not realistic for you to expect Upwork to "help" you.

You need to do things for yourself and not expect Upwork to help or intervene except through limited, established protocols.

re: "The project amount is still in escrow"

Yes. I understand .

You need to Submit.

If he does not release payment, then you need to dispute the non-release of payment.

Submit and wait.

If he does nothing, then payment will be released to you AUTOMATICALLY.

re: "The report i provided him is executive level if 3rd party checks it from technical point of view I did good job."

Upwork doesn't care.

Upwotk isn't the "job quality police."

What is important is:

You where asked to do a task.

You did the task.

That is it.

Now the client needs to release payment.

Don't argue about it.

Tell the client that the agreed upon task has been completed and you will be able to continue working on the project and help him with other requests AFTER he releases payment and closes the current contract.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What would be the best approach to solve this. I have never experienced this issue so please guide me to solve it."

For the future, you only accept a job like this as an hourly contract. Then if the client expectations are unrealistic, that is fine. You get paid for your time.

For the current situation, don't spend one more second working on this job. Click Submit.

If the client does not release payment, then do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

As a client I have hired pentesters to do exactly this type of work.

I hired them to break into my website and provide a report about possible security vulnerabilities.

They failed, but provided valuable insight on improvements I could make.

Of course I paid them for their time, using hourly contracts.

I didn't try to withhold money because they couldn't gain full access to the site.

What you described can only be explained as a client who is hiring hackers to break into a site he does not actually own.

He has not requested for refund yet. but he is just being mean and giving lame excuses 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

"HIring hackers to break into a site he does not actually own."

If that's true, I'd run, not walk, away from this guy. If he'll steal from the original owner of a Web site, he wouldn't give a second thought to ripping off a freelancer.

3314778e
Community Member

Can upwork dispute help mein issue? The project amount is still in escrow and The report i provided him is executive level if 3rd party checks it from technical point of view I did good job. 

re: "Can upwork dispute help my issue?"

It is not realistic for you to expect Upwork to "help" you.

You need to do things for yourself and not expect Upwork to help or intervene except through limited, established protocols.

re: "The project amount is still in escrow"

Yes. I understand .

You need to Submit.

If he does not release payment, then you need to dispute the non-release of payment.

Submit and wait.

If he does nothing, then payment will be released to you AUTOMATICALLY.

re: "The report i provided him is executive level if 3rd party checks it from technical point of view I did good job."

Upwork doesn't care.

Upwotk isn't the "job quality police."

What is important is:

You where asked to do a task.

You did the task.

That is it.

Now the client needs to release payment.

Don't argue about it.

Tell the client that the agreed upon task has been completed and you will be able to continue working on the project and help him with other requests AFTER he releases payment and closes the current contract.

3314778e
Community Member

awaiting for him to end the contract and i will file the dispute. 

If he releases payment, you will NOT dispute.

If he does not release payment but blocks payment or asks for changes, you will dispute.

3314778e
Community Member

Thank You for Help, Appreciate it 

Have a nice day 

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

DDoS (Distributed Denial Of Service), as the name suggests, makes a web site unreachable. I can't see how one would gain acces to a web site using ddos?

Exactly. This is a ridiculous request on the part of a fixed-price client.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members