🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unverified Payment Method
Page options
sjulius09
Community Member

Unverified Payment Method

// First of all, apologies if this has been discussed before. Kindly redirect me to any specific thread (if any) where this may have been resolved //

Issue: I just entered into an hourly contract with a client whose payment method isn't verified yet. My assumption while negotiating was that Upwork wouldn't let them finalize with setting up the contract without the client verifying their payment method. However, this wasn't the case and I didn't have the polite words to let them know they should verify their payment methods before I can begin work.

Please advise on the best way forward.

The client is new on the platform, I have walked her through most of the procedures but payment method verification.

Also, as something to go into the Upwork suggestion Box, Can this be improved?

2 REPLIES 2
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Yes, UW leaves it to us to be sure that step is completed. Which is fine IMO, just make it part of your contract set-up patter. Polite words: If you would go ahead and verify your payment method, it will prevent any possible glitches in payment processing next week. As soon as that step is complete, I can get started. I look forward to working with you!

Or words to that effect. If they resist taking care of it right away, fall back on UW strongly discourages beginning work until all the contract housekeeping is completed including payment verification. If they still resist, then stop and consider whether you are comfortable working with someone who is either careless or disrespectful about something as essential as payment.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Julius,

Work you do on an hourly contract before the client's payment method is approved is subject to non-payment to you - it is not covered by Upwork's excellent hourly pay protection.

I tell a new hourly project client I can start work on their project once their payment method is OK'd by Upwork. It's nice to be nice, but it's better to get paid.

Once the payment method is accepted by Upwork any work time tracked by you then has payment protection.

However, if a problem then develops with the client's payment method Upwork will notify you and you should stop working until Upwork notifies you that all is well with the payment method.

In my opinion, Upwork should not allowTimeTracker to be used until the client's payment method is initially approved, but that is not true at the moment.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members