🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Hourly Protection
Page options
817d45a8
Community Member

Upwork Hourly Protection

Hi everyone!

I worked with a client who is relatively new but had already collaborated with top-rated and Top-rated Plus freelancers on different projects. He asked me to redesign a logo for him within one day, and I successfully completed it. He approved everything during my first week working with him. The following Monday, he expressed his satisfaction with my work and offered more projects related to ad poster design, along with a reasonable hourly rate for graphic design. I accepted and began working with him. Meanwhile, he had spent over 7.2k and had several billed hours, along with two completed contracts, one of which had a 5-star rating.

Everything went smoothly until that Friday when the contract was suspended, and I had already worked for more than 20 hours. I asked the client about it, and he confirmed there was an issue that would be resolved quickly. However, later that day, I was about to be billed for the logo design work from the first week, but Upwork refunded the money to the client, citing a billing issue and stating that I wouldn't go through the payment protection process. I can assure you that my working hours were legitimate, all screenshots had memos, the client had a substantial history of paid work, and other excellent freelancers were working with him. I maintained good working activity throughout.

As a top-rated freelancer who has never encountered such a problem before, I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has faced similar issues. How can I recover the payment for the work I completed and avoid being scammed after putting in so much time and effort? Also, client is not responding now! 

Thank you in advance. 

19 REPLIES 19
dsmgdesign
Community Member

It sounds like you used manual time. That's OK, I only use manual time. Is the account still suspended, or did UW reactivate it? Once the account is active again, reach out to the client and explain the situation, and ask if you can record your time again or ask for a bonus payment in the amount that UW refunded. If the client has any professionalism at all and they liked your work, they will pay what they owe.  If that doesn't work complain to UW, and work your way up from manager to manager until you get your money back. This is a terrible policy. If clients accept manual time, UW shouldn't be taking your money away due to a fixable issue with the client's credit card. 

The terms for upwrks hourly payment protection is that you use the time tracker, manual time is not covered and should be avoided with clients you havent established trust with.

The client will be free to pay the freelancer when his credit card works. Upwork isn't taking away anything when you use manual time except the offer to pay out of their own pocket if the client doesn't.

Hi, I didn't use any manual time. All the work was covered in Time Tracker along with valid activity points and legitimate memos. 

dsmgdesign
Community Member

sorry, I didn't see your email about screenshots having memos. I never do that, I only use manual time, but I guess you didn't use manual time. If the client has gone away, definitely work your way up from manager to manager within UW. 

Hi David, 

Upwork told me that I won't be paid for this job as the client was fraudulent. I don't understand that when a client has a good review and spends more than thousands of dollars before to other freelancers. How would I know he would not pay me and scam like this? But still they are saying it doesn't come under protection as the client didn't pay the hours. Which I think will not be my problem as I did all the work as per the hourly protection protocols. Let me know what to do in this regard as it was a hefty amount. Thank you! 

Please ask the agent that you are working with to forward your inquiry to a manager. If that manager doesn't help you, ask for their manager. Keep going up and up the Upwork ladder until you get what you deserve. I've done this twice before for different issues and was successful both times. Remember "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Hi, they say the client was a fraud, and since they didn't pay for the hours worked, it's not covered by payment protection. But in this case, how can I be sure that even after spending several dollars, the client will turn out to be a fraud? I've done legitimate work at an average rate with all the necessary hourly protections in place. Shouldn't I be paid, or is this a policy I'm unaware of?

luqman_mak
Community Member

If you logged in your work with the UW tracker and your activity levels (in the timesheet) were good, you will get payment protection covering your work done. There are specifics on how the p.protection works and these terms are covered in theToS : https://www.upwork.com/legal#escrow-hourly (section 6)

817d45a8
Community Member

Thank you, everyone. In order to initiate the process of recovering my funds, since the client is no longer responding, should I proceed with creating a dispute? I have already submitted a ticket, providing comprehensive details, and am currently awaiting a response. Is this sufficient, or is there any additional action I should take?

Hi Sana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that there's already an open support ticket regarding this issue and you are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you, I have been waiting since tomorrow for a reply. I hope to hear back soon. 

Hi, it's been two consecutive days I have been messaging via tickets and nobody is responding to my messages. Can you please check it as my dues were to be paid last week and I am still waiting for your assistance on this matter. 

Hi Sana,

Apologies for the delay as our support teams are currently experiencing a higher number of contacts than usual. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions in the ticket as soon as possible.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, hopefully I get a response today. As it's been over 48 hours. 

Perhaps you shouldn't have downsized if you don't have adequate staff to address legitimate user issues in a timely manner. A freelancer experiencing problems getting money they've earned rarely has time to be patient with your cost-saving measures.

38c62e9c
Community Member

Hi I got email from upwork in that email connect promocode and and mentioned that this will not charge.

When I use that code it will charge me

Hi, I apologise but I don't have any information about this. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

It sounds like you dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's needed for hourly protection, Sana.

Please come back and tell us the final resolution.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members