🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork as been Infiltrated by Hackers
Page options
ccerro
Community Member

Upwork as been Infiltrated by Hackers

I was going over Job lists a while ago and saw at least 3 job hiring for Social Media VA. They have quite similar script, with enclosed download link to files, and a note requiring applicants to "unzip the files....". Job posts like these are seemingly attempts to hack contractors' Social Media and email accounts to gain access to their clients' Facebook Business Manager and take over Ad Accounts. I wonder whether or not Upwork is aware of this and if they are, has there been any action taken to filter new clients. Here's the link to one of the job post I came across with:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
ba61402a
Community Member

I think it might be usual here, and not easy to exclude them from the website.

I saw 2 same jobs from 2 different accounts, posted last month:

The later post mentioned a higher price in the post. The funny thing is in the job posted 24 days ago (later post) from US - Lincoln there are 137 jobs posted but only hired 3, spent $15 in total. I saw profiles of 2 freelancers (1 freelancer did with them 2 jobs) hired, they are from Multan, Pakistan, but I'm not sure if they are related to. 

I initially wanted to raise it to upwork but eventually i didnt, I'm new here, I thought I should focus on my proposals and adjusting my strategy. But one day when I get more orders I will post it. I just saved links to raise it or complaint one day.

Your topic enables me to talk about it.

Thank you for raising the ticket

759e32fa

Hi Cecille and Thi,

Thank you for sharing these with us. I forwarded the link to the job posts to our support team for review.

Rest assured that we are aware of the issues surrounding scams, spam, and most recently, links to malware that scammers have been attaching to their "job posts." We will continue sharing your feedback with them as we improve our processes to make your marketplace experience better.

We also suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members