Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Upwork is a real loose Cannon on deck

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
1 of 39

It happened again, I just used 6 connects to apply for a job which showed "less than 5" applicants. It took exactly 3 minutes to write my proposal and when done I checked back on the job posting and sure enough, now it says 15-20 applicants. Had I seen that before I would not have applied and please do not tell me that within those 3 minutes 15-20 others send their application in all at once. 

If there is a reporting delay due to technical difficulties UW should solve this presto, otherwise, it could be construed as a scam, especially since you are now charging for connects.

I would also like to know what happens if I withdraw my proposal, will I get the 6 connects back or not??

Maybe one of the moderators can answer that unless you don't have a script ready for that. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 39

Hermann M wrote:

 

I would also like to know what happens if I withdraw my proposal, will I get the 6 connects back or not??


https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Use-Connects

 

not.jpg

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
3 of 39

well, that SUCKS BIG TIME I don't mind paying for connects if that solves the spamming problem, BUT I would at the very least expect correct information before spending money. Otherwise, if the information provided is false, this would qualify as a scam. 

Ace Contributor
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
4 of 39

Hermann M wrote:

It happened again, I just used 6 connects to apply for a job which showed "less than 5" applicants. It took exactly 3 minutes to write my proposal and when done I checked back on the job posting and sure enough, now it says 15-20 applicants. Had I seen that before I would not have applied and please do not tell me that within those 3 minutes 15-20 others send their application in all at once. 

If there is a reporting delay due to technical difficulties UW should solve this presto, otherwise, it could be construed as a scam, especially since you are now charging for connects.


Are you implying that is almost impossible for a job post to receive 15 to 20 proposals in 3 minutes on a platform that serves thousands of people from all over the world?

Interesting.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 39

It does not really matter how many proposals there are at the precise time when you apply anyway.

 

As the client does not see proposals in the order they have arrived, it does not matter if there are 3-5 proposals when you apply, and another 30 arrive afterwards, or whether there are 30 when you apply, and another 5 arrive afterwards.


Also, that number only shows the proposals that have not been declined, archived or withdrawn, so it really provides little information about how likely one is to win the contract.

 

 

Active Member
Natalia S Member Since: Jun 21, 2019
6 of 39

Hi Petra, 

 

I am pretty new here and still haven't got how all things work.

 

You say: "As the client does not see proposals in the order they have arrived, ..."

 

I am curious how does a client see them. Today I do not even bother to apply when I see too many applicants. Sometimes I can see that a job was posted 1 hour ago and there are already some people being interviewed....

 

Thank you in advance!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 39

Natalia S wrote:

 

I am curious how does a client see them. Today I do not even bother to apply when I see too many applicants.


On the client side, there is a weird algorithm that puts best fits on the top and labels them that way. While I'm generally wary of algorithms on Upwork, I have to say that each time I posted a job on Upwork, it has been generally accurate in suggesting the best fits.

 

Also, many proposals are totally irrelevant, which is why Upwork has decided on making people pay for connects (let's wait until everybody spends their current stock of connects and has to pay for them to see if this works). This means that the fact that a job has 50 proposals doesn't mean it's a waste of time applying. Actually, it depends on the industry. A data entry job for instance will have tons of relevant applications because data entry is low skill and there is a ton of people who do it. But if more specialized skills are needed and you happen to have them, you can bet that amongst the 50 applicants a majority is just trash. So you may still stand out. Plus, 90% cannot write a decent cover letter.

 

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Active Member
Natalia S Member Since: Jun 21, 2019
8 of 39
Thank you Rene! Very helpful!
Active Member
Elton June I Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
9 of 39

Hi Rene, Can you try to check my profile and see if there is something that I can improve on that for me to have at least get an invite for a job? Thank you.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 39

Natalia S wrote:

Hi Petra, 

 

I am pretty new here and still haven't got how all things work.

 


Also since you are a translator, you may want to rephrase this: High quality translation services English/Russian/French.

 

A translator translates only into your native language (*), so you need to mention it. You need to change your language section because you're not native in English, French and Russian. You're probably a native speaker of one of these and a fluent speaker of the others. If you want to look professional, you would want to fix this.

 

(*) This is for written translations, interpreting is often symmetric, however.

 

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS