🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork, remove the scams or give us the abili...
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

Upwork, remove the scams or give us the ability to remove them. Why do you refuse?

"Queries cannot exceed 500 characters."

That is the official Upwork message when I try to filter out the scam jobs. I continue to be told they can't replicate the problem. Well, you have to try, first.

You refuse to remove the scams, and you refuse to fix the program, so we can filter out the scams. You make it difficult enough, and to have to look at all the scams - do you seriously think that's just fine? I know you don't care if we leave, but I’m not leaving. I insist you take action one way or another because you are promoting scams, if you do not give us a way to filter them out.

Either get rid of the obvious ones or give us the ability to filter them out.

20 REPLIES 20
spectralua
Community Member

And who will buy connects then? Or even go to a site where two normal jobs daily. 🙂

LuiggiR

Hi Jeanne,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the filters. Do you get this error with a specific set of filters, or does it happen with any filter you apply? We'll be happy to look into this further for you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

It happens because the filter has too many characters in it. I've hit the same wall before, trying to filter out all of the jobs that have similar keywords (and occasionally software that I use, erroneously listed) but are not a fit for my skillset.

The upshot is that there are so many common scams on Upwork that you have not allowed enough characters to filter out even the most widespread ones. 

I use a basic Boolean. I cannot use the "exclude" because it does not allow multiple words, but I get the same message. So, it is with any filter.

I'm sick of having to scroll through hundreds of scams to try and find a real job. If this is not resolved, I am at a loss as to why I should use the platform.

It has been "looked into" before. I sincerely, hope you do more than your predecessors.

Thanks for clarifying, Jeanne, and again I'm sorry you have to go through all this trouble to find the jobs you're looking for. Can you share an example of your search keywords so we can try it ourselves?

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Luiggi,

This is easily replicated, but no one tries. Simply go to a freelancer account and just try to have more than 500 characters. It doesn't work, yet I keep being told you can't replicate it. Why don't you try? You've been told, it isn't just me.

Here is one out of many that I cannot use, and it is not even complete.

NOT (telegram OR t.me OR whatsapp OR Whatsapp OR ***@*** OR skype OR Skype OR Gmail OR gmail OR viber OR instagram OR snapchat OR amazon OR Amazon OR Temu OR typing OR Typing OR copytyping OR Copytyping OR retyping OR Retyping OR PDF to word OR retyping images OR romance OR Romance OR werewolf OR werewolves OR vampire OR vampires OR scriptwriting OR script OR Youtube OR youtube OR You Tube OR you tube OR "I need writter" OR "I need writer" OR

Or alternatively, Upwork could allow me or anyone with basic knowledge to put a filter into the jobs feed. Then I wouldn't have to filter out phone numbers and emails, just to start.

pgregory_indigo
Community Member

Completely agree, however, as has been mentioned more than once in response to my own posts "I insist you take action one way or another" is going to get you nowhere, they owe you nothing and will not respond to your complaints, best to just put up with it, as complaining is pointless, they are a business and will do what serves their business needs over the needs of the freelancer, or so I'm told.

Paul G wrote:

they are a business and will do what serves their business needs over the needs of the freelancer, or so I'm told.

I actually feel differently.  While I do think that since they’re in the Connects Business now they have no incentive to stop the scamming.  But, even still, complacency is just as bad.  I am truly at a loss as to how they are still in business.  

Are you sure that Upwork is really in the  connects business? How could such a platform really on dirt cheap connects for their survival? They must be above that!

4 million freelancers * 10 Connects/day * $0.15 = $6 million per day.

Those first two variables aren't correct averages, but it illustrates the point.

Not everyone needs, is able or willing to spend 10 connects a day.

You missed the point. Allow me to redemonstrate.

0.5 million freelancers * 6 Connects/day * $0.15 = $450,000 per day.

You forgot to take into account the connects offered or reimbursed. Anyway, this is only theoretical.

Now, how much does Upwork spend to pay for all the staff that is available mainly to help the masses of freelancers that keep needing help because they don't know how to read the rules of the platform? Not to mention those who work on making and improving the programs that run the platform? The money brought by connects might partly be used to pay for these people.

Luce N wrote:

You forgot to take into account the connects offered or reimbursed. Anyway, this is only theoretical.

Again, I think you missed my point. Perhaps it was my fault for illustrating it with sample values instead of stating it with words. Anyways, my point is: daily Connects revenue is likely a huge number, which is important for short-term (i.e. quarterly) finances. Is the methodology good for long-term success? Most on these forums predict that it will result in long-term problems. But shareholders can only go without dividends for so long.

Now, how much does Upwork spend to pay for all the staff that is available mainly to help the masses of freelancers that keep needing help because they don't know how to read the rules of the platform? Not to mention those who work on making and improving the programs that run the platform?

Except for one quarter in late 2020, Upwork has lost money every quarter between 2019 and 2022. Upwork's public filings with the SEC don't go as granular as teams, IIRC, but expenses by major department/division are broken out. For 2022 and 2021 (again, if I recall correctly), the largest portion of expenses came from Marketing. The budget for that department has been severely chopped this year, according to Q1 reports.

The money brought by connects might partly be used to pay for these people.

Um... yeah. That's how revenue works. It offsets expenses and debt first. Any remainder becomes profit.

Look, I'm not too interested in capitalism, I'm was not brought up in a society where that matters. You mention SEC, IIRC, Q1 reports, you might as well be talking Martian.

If Upwork disapears, I'll be very sorry because I like the platform and it's very convenient, but there are other freelance platforms. If Upwork is tricking freelancers into thinking they need to buy connects and freelancers don't question the concept of paying to get a job, that's their problem.

IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly"

No, but the millions who do throw connects at everything, make up for the ones who spend, fail, and leave.

There is method, to my madness.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members