🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Very suspicious requests from new client
Page options
georgi_giv
Community Member

Very suspicious requests from new client

I was invited to submit a proposal for a project yesterday and the client contacted me shortly after that. Initially everything went well, a contract was created and I was requested to review the codebase on the client's Github repository. 

This is where things started to look strange - the code in the repository had nothing to do with what we discussed previously. It contained files encoded in base64 without any obvious reason. The client kept insisting that I need to "setup the project on my computer"

When I asked the client about the strange code they told me that a friend gave them the code. 

Finally I decided to give it a try and ran did the setup process (in a virtual machine). Unsurprisingly the "code" tried to collect data from the system, mainly browser log files, cookies, possibly passwords and send them to a server somewhere.

I have been working here for years now and I never reported anyone but I think this time I should do it.

So I wanted to ask if I need to submit a support ticket for this or simply posting here will be sufficient?

3 REPLIES 3
spectralua
Community Member

Report it via site too.

This mallware also searching for cryptowallets and deploying remote control.

Yes, you are right the malware code attempted to get Metamask data too! 
I reported the conversation with the client in the Upwork chat too. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Georgi,

Click Support above and report.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members