🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What does it mean when a client asks you to c...
Page options
92819a29
Community Member

What does it mean when a client asks you to create a google business profile for them

I have been messaged by a client in response to my bid. They've asked me to create a Google business profile for them. Is this Legit or am I being scammed?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

As others have stated, this type of interaction violates Upwork's TOS. From a safety standpoint, you have to understand how scam clients operate in order to avoid them.

There is a very good chance that the link they gave you is not a valid URL to a Google business profile setup page. Even if the link is valid, they violated Upwork's TOS, and there is a high probability that  manipulation is waiting for you on the other end of that link.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
yofazza
Community Member

They at least want to spam Google.

More spam scam 

92819a29
Community Member

They sent me a link and it directed me to a page where I was asked to log in my Google details. My email in order to begin the process. So does it mean its safe to do as instructed? 

elisa_b
Community Member

Just ask yourself - why does the client need me to create their own Google business profile?

And perhaps also - what does this have to do with my actual skills?

No.

This isn't safe.

It sounds like you have not even been hired.

You aren't going to get paid.

You are being manipulated into doing something that violates Google TOS and Upwork TOS. You could lose your accounts.

The biggest problem here is that you don't understand what is going on.

This means you are not qualified to be working in this. Until you actually understand Google business profiles and how to assist clients in this area without getting into trouble, you shouldn't be involved in this.

celgins
Community Member

As others have stated, this type of interaction violates Upwork's TOS. From a safety standpoint, you have to understand how scam clients operate in order to avoid them.

There is a very good chance that the link they gave you is not a valid URL to a Google business profile setup page. Even if the link is valid, they violated Upwork's TOS, and there is a high probability that  manipulation is waiting for you on the other end of that link.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members