🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What is the best way to cancel a contract...
Page options
joe-niland
Community Member

What is the best way to cancel a contract in which the client changed their mind?

Hi there,

Today I started a contract. Shortly after accepting the offer, the client realised they need the work done urgently and hired someone else.

No hours were logged and the relationship is positive. The client's client simply needed the work done 'today'.

What is the best way to cancel this contact without affecting JSS (if possible) ?

Should I cancel it or ask the client to do it?

There may be the chance of future work, but this is most likely to be done under a different contract. I suppose we could leave it open though.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

See if the client will pay you a nominal fee. Even $5. Otherwise, closing a contract without exchanging payment will negatively impact your JSS. 

Hi Robin,

Ah that's a pain. OK, thanks! I'll see what I can do.

Just for anyone else reading this, I ended up asking Upwork Support also. They told me that since there was no activity on the contract, the best way was for the client to end it. This allows both of us to provide private feedback. They told me that if the job is not open very long it shouldn't have an impact on JSS under these circumstances.

In my case, things ended positively. I guess my JSS hasn't updated recently but I'll check if it has any impact in a couple of weeks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members