🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why am I being charged $81 as a freelancer?
Page options
tmcris
Community Member

Why am I being charged $81 as a freelancer?

I went to look at my previous payments, invoices, etc. through Upwork and found out that I'm being charged $81. I would like to know why. I used my FREE points/credits to apply for jobs and mostly have been accepting jobs that were offered to me (so no points/credits were lost). As a freelancer, I should not be charged anything. I have tried to contact Upwork and their "Get Support" tab is a joke. Any ideas or recommendations?

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

In the transaction history you have a breakdown of all transactions with descriptions. What do you see there?

tmcris
Community Member

That I owe $81 to one of my clients. I should not owe anything. I don't even remember having a contract with this client. 

The client might have changed his username. But he can't just initiate a refund without interacting with you. What happened?

I don't know what happened to be honest. I haven't done a lot of work for
Upwork clients until last week. So now the money that I'm currently making
is being used to pay that $81. How do I go about getting this resolved? I
even tried contacting Better Business Bureau, but they can't help because
it's an employee (me as a freelancer) vs. employer situation (ie. Upwork
and the client).

You are not an employee, and Upwork is not an employer. This distinction is critical.

Yes, yes -- she knows, Im sure - that she is a contractor.
The question is "why is a client charging her $81 for a seemingly mysterious client --

Mark K wrote:

Yes, yes -- she knows, Im sure - that she is a contractor.

Apparently she does not, since she erroneously told the BBB she was an employee.

So how do I get this resolved?

If you want help from Upwork, contact Support (the green button at the bottom right-hand side of the page). You will get a bot, but keep asking for an agent. Alternatively, you can click on the three dots at the upper right-hand corner of your post. A drop-down menu will show you options. At the bottom is "notify moderator". Try the Support option first.

Without you reporting what you see in transactions, I can't tell what is going on.

Do you know what job it was for? Or the date it appeared on your account that would indicate what job it was?

tlsanders
Community Member

You're  not an employee. You're a customer who pays Upwork for its services. 

It sounds like one of your clients did a chargeback. Does $81 mean anything to you? Does that figure match up with a small job you did, or a milestone? 

ETA: You contacted the Better Business Bureau before reaching out to Upwork support? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members