🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why do I have to verify ID before first job
Page options
michaelfleming47
Community Member

Why do I have to verify ID before first job

Dear Upwork support team,

I'm wondering why I have to verify my ID even before submitting the first proposal. Isn't it required only after first task down? My DL has expired and local DMV has suspended the renew process untill Aprial 30! Is it a bug that you can fix or it means I have to start my first freelancer work one month later? I want to start work ASAP to get a paycheck under such coronavirus chaos. Can you give me a hand?

Sincerely,

James

10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

Zhenyuan D wrote:

Dear Upwork support team,

I'm wondering why I have to verify my ID even before submitting the first proposal. Isn't it required only after first task down? My DL has expired and local DMV has suspended the renew process untill Aprial 30! Is it a bug that you can fix or it means I have to start my first freelancer work one month later? I want to start work ASAP to get a paycheck under such coronavirus chaos. Can you give me a hand?

Sincerely,

James

"James" (that's not the name in your profile), where does it say you only get ID'd after your first job?

I'm sorry, James is my English name in my daily use as some people find it hard to pronounce.

Hi James, 

It looks like you are being requested to verify your location. I'm currently checking this with the team and will come back here once I have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Zhenyuan, 

The team has confirmed that you need to complete your location verification in order to submit proposals that have a U.S. location requirement. If you do not complete the verification, you would still be able to submit jobs that don't have a location requirement. You may check the link I shared on my earlier post for more information. 

If you have further questions, please let me know. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I can see Wills Tower from my bedroom's widow in Chicago, but I still can't pass the location verification which is frustrating. Is there any walk-around way like sending a video or address letter photo to prove where I am living? I know earned money will be deposited into my account only after ID verification, I just want to start work asap so that I can get paycheck once my new ID delivered.

Hi Zhenyuan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Why do you think ID verification is not important to open an account where you will work and earn? You should wait until your DL or you might use a Passport too. you might still submit a proposal but you should open an ID following their rules and necessary data at first, then you should start to submit the proposal...in a proper way! And your names are also very confusing!

Just show your expired ID.

JoanneP

Hi Zhenyuan,

I checked your account, and I was not able to find any ticket from our team requesting that you verify your ID. Did you receive a notification about this? 

~ Joanne
Upwork

No, actually I just signed up yesterday. And eveytime I click the "Submit the proposal" button, the verification page appears.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members