🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why has the “cost” of connects gone up?
Page options
jafludd-wordpro
Community Member

Why has the “cost” of connects gone up?

I noticed something very troubling when I started applying for jobs yesterday.  The number of connects required to bid for the work that I do has gone up sharply.  I used to bid on things for 6 connects.  Now the "cost" has climbed up to 12 to 16 connects or more?  Is that Upwork's way of forcing you to spend money on connects instead of using just what you're automatically given to work with?  If so, I think that's a really low-down, dirty, greedy trick.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread for Community Guidelines. We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Edited to add. 

We've closely followed this conversation and thank the participants for their valuable input. Since the arguments have been exhausted and the conversation is moving in an unproductive direction, we will be closing the thread.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
ladyelexia
Community Member

The rate for applications has been going up for quite some time. Even projects that "pay" $5 cost 12-16 connects just to apply. Upwork is just trying to boost its bottom line while clients and freelancers alike flock elsewhere. Clients are charged $5 per person they hire regardless of the project type or budget. Freelancers have to pay $2-$4 per application regardless of the budget of the project, with no refunds on connects when the job is closed. As a result, fewer people are bidding on projects (since most applications are bots, or clients simply never hire), and clients also get fewer applications from qualified users, and thus go elsewhere. 

So, why are you applying for $5.00 jobs? If the amount of connects is higher for low fees, why are you applying? Freelancers should have to pay for a lot more than connects. If they did, the genuine freelancers, the clients, and the platform would all benefit.

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread for Community Guidelines. We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Edited to add. 

We've closely followed this conversation and thank the participants for their valuable input. Since the arguments have been exhausted and the conversation is moving in an unproductive direction, we will be closing the thread.

~ Nikola
Upwork

basically anyone that points out the greed pushing upwork out of business gets deleted 😂
Stopped using this platform once your greed got in the way of actually serving the users

I never bid on anything that pays less than $1000.  If you enjoy getting squeezed for more money on top of the 10 percent that they take out of your earnings, that's your business.  You know nothing about me.  

Well, she knows you're a business person with some success who obviously knows what goes into running a business successfully, and yet considers it "greedy" for Upwork to want to stop losing many millions of dollars every quarter.

Everyone here wants something for nothing. They want to have jobs which require fewer connects, but what they don't understand is that with lower barriers to entry, more people show up, increasing competition.

Upwork, as they should, is doing what's best for them. People are under the highly mistaken impression that this platform exists for the benefit of freelancers, to bestow upon them the riches that Upwork's clients have to offer, with minimal effort or cost on their part. Uh, no.

These people who flood the platform with garbage proposals are driving away clients, because that's what clients have come to expect. Upwork could raise the minimum job price, but they won't, because there is too much money in connects in $5 jobs.

How about people stop bidding on any $5 jobs with $3 worth of connects?

Exactly. My messages are overflowing from all these freelancers who think life is so unfair (wailing!) because they aren't handed everything on a platter. And they expect me/us to give them jobs or money because I am "successful."

No, they do not understand that more people and more connects destroys their chances of being hired. Of course, having some skills would help. Yes, you are correct. Many freelancers think the platform exists for them and them alone to make money.

These people who flood the platform with garbage proposals are driving away clients, because that's what clients have come to expect. Upwork could raise the minimum job price, but they won't, because there is too much money in connects in $5 jobs.

Spot on.

How about people stop bidding on any $5 jobs with $3 worth of connects?

Oh, be careful. You will be called an Upwork employee, and all sorts of crude names that aren't removed from the forum - oh wait, maybe that's just me - and neither of us couldn't care less. Telling people the truth is crucial. I am not concerned by a random stranger who thinks I am an elite Upworker.

I know you were crying about Upwork playing dirty tricks on you for raising the amount of connects on some jobs.

Hi
I'm new on this plate form and no experience so I'm Little confused about
this

Like I said to you before Jeanne, stop being sarcastic and intentionally disingenuous. Just because YOU apply to $5 jobs doesn't mean that everyone else does. You have been here long enough to know that you can see the application cost of a project without actually submitting an application. Find something better to do with your time.

Like I said, I am not being sarcastic, (look it up in a dictionary or disingenuous (look that up, too). If you ever bothered to read my posts, I do not, ever, never have applied for a ridiculous amount like $5.00. It's not worth my time even reading about it. If you read your own post, you brought up the unfairness of it all.

Sorry, I will spend my time when and where I want, on things that are helpful to other freelancers. I love when someone posts, I respond, and suddenly, they think I should not be allowed to talk. This is a community forum. You can't open a thread without someone whining they have to pay their way.

I am trying to tell others, that it's pointless to bid on tiny jobs.

I would say "especially" projects that pay $5 rather than "even." I'm still seeing quite a few that require 8 connects at higher levels. 

the-right-writer
Community Member

I cannot believe with your success you do not think you should have to pay a thing for all that lovely job access. The low paying jobs cost the most in connects.

It's Upwork's way of charging for job access. If you don't want to pay your way, like all freelancers must, then you need to find an employer. If you can't afford some connects at your level here, you are doing something very wrong. If your ROI is poor, then do something different.

You have made money here, and you don't think you should spend the tiniest amount of your budget on a few connects to have job access?

"All my success" is not constant.  In freelance work there are times when you're making out well and times when you're prospecting for the next job.  And while you're prospecting for the next job, you don't exactly welcome having to spend money for the privilege of bidding on new work, on top of the 10 percent that's taken out of your earnings.  I came here trying to understand a situation and this the kind of "help" I get?  Ask a civil question, get a surly answer!  

There is no way around the hard facts. In freelancing, like any self-employment, you have to spend money on the possibility of getting a job with no guarantees.

Upwork needs money. They have been exsanguinating money for years. Of course, they charge for job access. Every platform charges something, and the good ones charge more, with all kinds of limits and tests most freelancers here wouldn't pass.

You started this thread with, "Is that Upwork's way of forcing you to spend money on connects instead of using just what you're automatically given to work with? If so, I think that's a really low-down, dirty, greedy trick."

No one should be given the ability to apply for jobs. That's your responsibility. Yes, you have to buy connects. It is part of your business expenses. You put money away to pay for future expenses like job access, if you want to keep working. Why should anyone be automatically given access to jobs? Yep, and you pay 10% or whatever level of job you have. It's business. It's not going to change. If the ROI is poor, then you have to find another way.

I'm still amazed at your level of success, and you are complaining about the tiniest portion of your expenses.

tlsanders
Community Member

It's weird that so many people see Upwork wanting to stop operating at a loss as "greedy." If your supplies and subscriptions and such to run your business cost $2,000/month and you were earning $1,500/month, how long would you keep working for -$500/month? 

Maybe Upwork wanted to break even for a change.

Maybe they wanted to discourage people from bidding on tiny jobs that pay Upwork almost nothing and strain the system. 

Maybe they hoped if the cost of sending a proposal was higher, there would be fewer garbage proposals and clients would stop fleeing the platform.

Maybe they wanted to shift some of the costs to the millions of freelancers who send proposals and and never get a job, so never pay project fees. 

shiva-designer
Community Member

Yes its been a month now the connects have been gone up. By increasing the number of connects needed, Upwork can incentivize freelancers to submit higher-quality proposals and be more selective in the jobs they apply for, which can benefit both clients and freelancers.

We want the good things to happen but to be honest I'm not seeing it, yet.

Maybe not all, but I see this is what's currently happening, a lot.

I see a little reduction in proposals, but really not much. Still easy to see 50+ proposals in 15 minutes (where most of them are crap as reported in that thread).

What's more true: Upwork is monetizing its huge amount of freelancers, which is 100% understandable and fine with me although I don't join their game.

davis-michael
Community Member

Stopped using this platform as i was applying for jobs for too many connects and not even getting a reply, sometimes (most times) my proposals were not even getting viewed by the employer, and when you talk about it here, they (upwork) have many fake accounts explaining why it's all a good thing. And when you point it out your post or reply gets deleted. Trust me, this reply will be deleted too. It's a dead platform now. Will never buy more credits here.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members