🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Work in progress shows $60, but pending $48, ...
Page options
00856dc3
Community Member

Work in progress shows $60, but pending $48, help?

This is a really stupid question, I assume, but I really look for an answer to this. I'm under a contract and whenever a milestone is assigned, the work-in-progress tab adds the $60 amount, but once the payment is reviewed and pending, it goes down to $48.  I'm just trying to find out if my boss is lowering down the price of the fixed milestone, or i'm just stupid? Especially when the feeds Upwork takes are only $3, but from 60 to 48 there's a huge difference.

I'd be more than grateful for an honest and respectful answer. 

12 REPLIES 12
yofazza
Community Member

The fee is 20% not $3 so it's correct.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Camila S wrote:

Especially when the feeds Upwork takes are only $3, but from 60 to 48 there's a huge difference.

The Upwork service charge is 20% of the first $500 that you earn per client. 20% of $60 is $12, not $3, so $48 is correct. If you look at your transaction history, there's a breakdown of exactly what you were paid along with the service charges for each project.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Camila,

The reduction is Upwork taking their portion and in your specific case that is $12. Larger projects Upwork takes a smaller total portion beginning at $500 per client it's 10% instead of 20%. Have a great day!

2aeab036
Community Member

It's not a stupid question at all, and I'm happy to help you understand what might be happening with your contract payments.

Upwork charges a fee of 20% for the first $500 billed with a client. After that, the fee decreases to 10%. So, if your milestone payment is $60, Upwork would take $12 as their fee, leaving you with $48. This could explain why the amount goes down from $60 to $48.

It's also possible that your client is adjusting the milestone amount for some reason. However, you should be able to see a breakdown of the payment on your Upwork account, which would show you how much was deducted for fees and how much you received.

Michael K wrote:

It's also possible that your client is adjusting the milestone amount for some reason. 

Not in this case.

Since you are just starting here, I suggest you take a look at the Academy Courses - Upwork Community

to properly complete your profile and get more familiar with how to navigate on Upwork platform.

It sounds like people are using ChatGPT in the forum now.

They will soon realize that it does not replace human experience/intelligence!

Not in this iteration. Wait a year or two.

Has anyone run ChatGPT through episodes of Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? yet?

They have been for a while, bots too. I saw a self-proclaimed AI bot with its own Upwork profile last week!

Liz S wrote:

They have been for a while, bots too. I saw a self-proclaimed AI bot with its own Upwork profile last week!

What does Identity verification look like? Just an IP address?

yofazza
Community Member

No verification until the first job.

And if AIs (or the person using it) are like those AI texts, there's nothing to worry about. 😅

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members