🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ** looking for my first task.
Page options
evans82
Community Member

** looking for my first task.

Hello all.

I am new to upwork, but not new to content writing. I am a talented writer who is ready to learn a lot through this platform. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to land my first job. Could I be submitting proposals to the wrong kind of posts? I don't know. However, I would like to ask anyone who is available to take a look at my portfolio and give me their opinion.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

John Evans S wrote:

However, I would like to ask anyone who is available to take a look at my portfolio and give me their opinion.

Your portfolio should contain a representative selection of only your very best work, carefully proofread, of course.

I only looked at one piece (the little Las Vegas thing) and if that is a representative example of your best work, with all the mistakes in it, then you may need to rethink offering services as a writer.

evans82
Community Member

Thanks for the honest opinion. I appreciate. I will upload better work or rather my best work.

robin_hyman
Community Member

John Evans S wrote:

Hello all.

I am new to upwork, but not new to content writing. I am a talented writer who is ready to learn a lot through this platform. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to land my first job. Could I be submitting proposals to the wrong kind of posts? I don't know. However, I would like to ask anyone who is available to take a look at my portfolio and give me their opinion.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'm also a content writer.  I took a look at your profile and portfolio (the snail piece).  There is an audience for your type of work on Upwork.  Unfortunately given your grammatical mistakes (mostly misuse of punctuation), you will land the low-end jobs.  Your $5 an hour wage can be increased to $10.  If you want to charge even more and be able to compete with more experienced writers, I suggest taking courses to help you better master the written English language.  

Good luck to you!

I agree with the others that the samples you provide are not good. They read like poorly articles that were written in another language then poorly translated into English. It does not read like it's written by someone who is fluent in English. A basic grammar course, at the least, will help you address the grammatical issues. Then there are odd word choices that are not common English usage. 

The content isn't terrible or great. I suspect you could find clients, but the quality is poor from a fluency and grammatical perspective, so if you can strengthen that, then you may be able to land some clients, although I do not suspect you'll be able to compete for intermediate or expert jobs unless you develop your writing skills beyond the level you're currently at. 

evans82
Community Member

Thanks a lot for your advice and remarks. I appreciate

Thank you for the advice and positive remarks. I will put that into consideration for a much better outcome. 

Thank you for the advice and positive remarks. I will put that into consideration for a much better outcome. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members