🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » reporting a scammer
Page options
rexelardo
Community Member

reporting a scammer

Hello,

I would like to report a client that gave me an offer out of nowhere, said he would send me $2k in exchange for $1550 that I would send to Wise to this "developer" that he urgently needs to pay.

He actually sent the bonus and I saw the $2k hit my account magically, in the "pending" section. So far, seems legit! But why is his job description not the job that he asked me to do? Why did he want me to pay through Wise specifically? Why did he open his account yesterday, has no reviews so far and $0 paid through the platform so far? So many red flags...

And the moment when I knew that he was fake: I said sure, so far everything checks out, please let's do a quick call/zoom meeting/Google Meets so I can verify that you are the person in the picture.

He refused, claiming that his Google Meets was not working. Of course, there is no way that is true.

The scammer's name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, but he will probably make a new account soon so if you see him wanting you to make payment to 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

it's most likely a scam.
We as freelancers need to stick together! None of us deserve to get scammed!  I want to flag this person and report him, but have no idea how to do so. How do I flag this client? Can anyone help?
3 REPLIES 3
ArjayM

Hi Rex,

I'm sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience you had with this client and we appreciate you reporting this here. I have also escalated this to the appropriate team and they will surely have the client's account reviewed. Rest assured that action will be taken accordingly if necessary.

Please be reminded that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
rexelardo
Community Member

Thank you for answering, Arjay! Yes, I was trying to flag the client but I honestly had no idea how to do so. I couldn't find the green flag anywhere on the web page, was strange

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

First of all, it should have been easy to figure out that this was a scam because no job pays hundreds of dollars for doing practically nothing: if a cliebt is able to pay you, why wouldn't they be able to pay their other freelancer as well? And then you broke the terms of service yourself by requesting an interview on Google meets. At no time should this job have seemed legit to you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members