🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are profile headshots optional now?
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Are profile headshots optional now?

Why is it that so many new freelancers aren't using profile photos of themselves? I'm seeing photos of babies, pets, cartoon characters, landscapes - everything but actual adult faces. Along with all of the bad profiles that show a complete lack of effort and awareness, it must be very off-putting for clients to be inundated with proposals from freelancers who haven't met even the most basic requirement to join Upwork. 

These photo-less new freelancers are in the forum all the time, asking their usual questions about why they're not getting any work, and I rarely see moderators point out that they need a headshot. (It's unfortunate that a so-called professional would need to be told that it looks bad to use a photo of their baby when they're looking for work, but, here we are, apparently.)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

Yes, profile photos are still required for freelancers' profiles and must meet the requirements listed here.

Rest assured that when members of the Community team come across a profile with violations, we do flag it for the Trust & Safety team's review. They will take appropriate action and send a notification to the user directly with more information.

When responding in the Community, we may not always discuss that publicly, especially if it's not the thread's topic. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It does seem to be optional. I see many instances where a moderator answers a question, without mentioning that the picture, or lack of it, violates ToS. This gives the impression to the respective poster, and everybody else reading it, that the picture is ok as it is. Or maybe they don't address the problem when the poster didn't ask specifically about the picture, hard to say. 

roberty1y
Community Member

Maybe they're afraid it would discriminate against people who don't have a head.

headless-man-with-bowler-hat-jill-battaglia.jpg

But it's hidden in the clouds! 

ed051618
Community Member

Wow.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

Yes, profile photos are still required for freelancers' profiles and must meet the requirements listed here.

Rest assured that when members of the Community team come across a profile with violations, we do flag it for the Trust & Safety team's review. They will take appropriate action and send a notification to the user directly with more information.

When responding in the Community, we may not always discuss that publicly, especially if it's not the thread's topic. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths