🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can you hire someone to work from the office?
Page options
4c79bb94
Community Member

Can you hire someone to work from the office?

We are a small start-up company, and we are looking for someone to help us out for a few months.

We tried working with people remotely, but it drags out the project from a few days to a couple of weeks.

Can we hire someone on Upwork, but put a requirement that they need to come and work from the office?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

You may hire a freelancer on Upwork to work on your physical office.

If I hire a freelancer to work in my office and I am paying them via Upwork Payroll, does Upwork Payroll take care of the Worker's Comp insurance or would I need to get that separately? 

Hi Bill, 

I'm sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. It looks like you've already reached the team that can best assist you with your concern. Please be advised that since it’s memorial day, response times from the team may be delayed. Feel free to check here or your email for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rena, 

As long as payments go through Upwork, location-based work should be fine. Let me just double-confirm this for you and I'll come back here once I have more information. 

In the meantime, if you determine that your relationship with this freelancer is best classified as an employee, you may want to check Upwork Payroll. If you are hiring internationally, check this article on International Hiring with Upwork Payroll. 

If you need help with hiring through Upwork, let us know, and we'll connect you with the team to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You can, but depending on where you live, you may struggle to find someone on Upwork who's willing to do that. People don't become freelancers if they want a 9-5 job in an office. Perhaps you just need to find remote workers who are more conscientious and deadline- oriented; they do exist. And of course, just because someone is physically present in your office doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be a better worker, either.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rena, 

I'm coming back here to let you know that an onsite job will be hard for Upwork to track, primarily if a dispute occurs on the contract. It would be best to keep salient points of your face-to-face discussion with the freelancer on Upwork messages so they can quickly be reviewed by the team when a disagreement happens.

To confirm, it is allowable if the job is knowledge-based and stated that the payment would be through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
d4377013
Community Member

Were you using Upwork Payroll and if so, how long did it take you to get that set up?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths