🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client asking for refunds and JSS
Page options
pamela_sironi
Community Member

Client asking for refunds and JSS

Hello there,

Can you please give me an advice about how to proceed with the following situation?

A client hired me last week, I wrote an article and he approved the Milestone.

He proposed me another article, which I did, but he says that it’s not what he was looking for. He said that I didn’t ask for info (not true) and asked me if I was really able to do that.
I have been very proactive and said that I was happy to write it again based on his further suggestions and indications.

He is now asking for a refund and closed the contract.

I am afraid that he may leave a bad feedback which will affect my JSS.

I will approve the refund of course but do I need to write a note asking for further details and/or apologize for the bad situation?

Thank you very much for your help!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I will approve the refund of course but do I need to write a note asking for further details and/or apologize for the bad situation?"

You do not need to write a note. You do not need to apologize any more than you have already done.

The client has paid you for the first article. The client doesn't want to pay for the second article.

You have agreed to refund the money for the first article.

If you were paid nothing at all, then you would have a "zero-pay" contract. That would impact JSS negatively.

But that is not your situation. You were paid. So don't worry about that.

If the client ALREADY closed the contract, then any feedback the client has left is already in place. I hope he didn't leave you bad feedback.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I will approve the refund of course but do I need to write a note asking for further details and/or apologize for the bad situation?"

You do not need to write a note. You do not need to apologize any more than you have already done.

The client has paid you for the first article. The client doesn't want to pay for the second article.

You have agreed to refund the money for the first article.

If you were paid nothing at all, then you would have a "zero-pay" contract. That would impact JSS negatively.

But that is not your situation. You were paid. So don't worry about that.

If the client ALREADY closed the contract, then any feedback the client has left is already in place. I hope he didn't leave you bad feedback.

Thank you.

The client paid the first article
and Milestone and he’s now requesting for the escrow refund related to the second article.

Yes he already closed the contract.
Hope the feedback is not bad, even if I’m afraid it will be.
He’s been very unpolite in the last messages.

Thank you for your time!

gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

The first milestone is done, you don't have to refund 100%, if you do that, your JSS will hit badly as 'no earning contract'.

If you believe you have completed the second milestone as per given instructions, and ready to rework on the same, then politely check with the client, 'what extra needs to be done in second milestone article' and try to improvise it. Most of the cases, it can be sorted out, I personally sorted some wrong going contracts and in the end, I got bonus as well with great feedback.

sometimes when we are sitting 1000 miles away and all business is being done on the internet and chat, it may arise confusions sometimes, try to resolve it politely.

If the client denies and asks for a 100% refund, that means he is not respecting your hard work, he stolen your time and now wants to steal your money as well. then I suggest to go to 'dispute' button, either way, your JSS will hit, but if you earn something in the contract, JSS will hit but not as bad as 'no earning contract'.

He’s asking for the escrow refund related to the 2nd Milestone.

The first one was ok and regularly paid.

Thank you!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths