🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for work before funding milesto...
Page options
1e1ad5ed
Community Member

Client asking for work before funding milestones due to Banking problems

Dear community members, I am seeking an urgent advice regarding a client that I've been working with as a new freelancer.

Context:
After discussing what the work is, he asked for the payment to be done after I complete 5 different projects. So I suggested using milestone, so he agreed. But what we also agreed on is that the payment will be received after the 5 projects are done.

Issue:

However, after completing the first project and submitting it to a funded milestone. The second one was ready before its milestone was funded. The client has requested that I submit it to them via chat, but I am hesitant to do so as the payment is not solely mine and I am unsure of the client's reliability, he refused funding the milestone.

And since the client was arguing that we agreed on receiving the payment after the project is done, I fused the 4 milestones in 1, and summed up their payment. Now, the client has indicated that they are unable to fund the payment due to a banking issue. He also claimed that he received work via chat before with other freelancers. and it wasn't a problem for him in his 2 years experience.

Question:

I am unsure how to proceed with the client without damaging our professional relationship. Are there any other methods of submitting the work to the client without jeopardizing my payment rights?

9 REPLIES 9
8703d159
Community Member

Hi Ismaeil! What is the payment verified status of this client? 5 stars or no stars?

Payment Varified

Also he has 5 stars and 6 reveiws.

1e1ad5ed
Community Member

Urgent

erinvega2016
Community Member

If you want to be paid you need to let the client know that the milestones need to be funded prior to submission of work. If this is a client who is serious about getting the deliverables they will fund the milestones.

I understand your point. But is their an alternative solution for the situation?

1e1ad5ed
Community Member

I need practical solution ASAP. It will be appreciated.

Hi Ismaeil, 

For Fixed-Price jobs, freelancers are advised to use the submit work link next to the funded milestone on the contract details page to share work with their clients and, at the exact moment, request payment. Once you submit work and request payment, the client will have 14 days to review it and approve or ask for changes. If they take no action in 14 days, the funds in Escrow will be released to you. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article about getting paid for Fixed-Price contracts. 
~ Nikola
Upwork
1e1ad5ed
Community Member

Thank you!
My question is the client is unable to use his bank to fund the milestone and he is insisting to get my work, Is it possible to find an alternative where I can submit before he funds the milestone? thank you

If the client has a problem to fund the milestone, it is his problem, he should work to solve it. You do not have a professional relationship it the client is pushing for the work without following the rules.

What Nikola mentionned is the best practice. You have no protection should you decide not to adhere to it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths