🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client refused to pay even after my succe...
Page options
vineetha17
Community Member

Client refused to pay even after my successful completion of work.

I have completed the work for the Client successfully. It is a fixed-price contract to review two papers. $50 per paper. Total $100. I get paid $50 which is in Escrow. But the client is now refusing to pay the remaining $50. The client is now asking to join WhatsApp and do a call. Why is WhatsApp required for a  call? The upwork has the option to schedule a meeting and talk regarding the work. Discarding the option of Upwork, the client is forcing me to contact in WhatsApp and is blackmailing me saying that Only if I add in WhatsApp, he pay my money. Any idea on how to report this to Upwork admin?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Vineetha,

We provide secure tools for clients and freelancers to communicate directly from the Upwork platform. Once a freelancer accepts a client’s offer, you can choose to share your contact information and use other tools to manage your project, too. We always recommend that users should be cautious when sharing any sensitive or personal information with anyone they do not know. Learn more about best practices for online safety here.

In general, please make sure that you have an active funded milestone on your Fixed-price contract before you start working. That way the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Please check this help article to learn more about the Fixed-Priced Protection.

I would like to let you know that you can report any suspicious activity in freelance profiles, portfolios, job postings, or the Upwork Message Center. Here's how to send a flag.

You may also want to check these help articles for more information: 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Vineetha V wrote:

I have completed the work for the Client successfully. It is a fixed-price contract to review two papers. $50 per paper. Total $100. I get paid $50 which is in Escrow. But the client is now refusing to pay the remaining $50. The client is now asking to join WhatsApp and do a call. Why is WhatsApp required for a  call? The upwork has the option to schedule a meeting and talk regarding the work. Discarding the option of Upwork, the client is forcing me to contact in WhatsApp and is blackmailing me saying that Only if I add in WhatsApp, he pay my money. Any idea on how to report this to Upwork admin?

There is nothing to report. If the client likes WhatsApp, join WhatsApp. The client would not be able to "blackmail" you if you had used upwork correctly, not working on an unfunded milestone. 

There is nothing to report.

The freelancer used Upwork incorrectly.

I didnt noticed that the client is going to play fraud things. Because he didn't put the second milestone to Escrow. You cannot say that because of this, I'm using upwork incorrectly.

Vineetha V wrote:

I didnt noticed that the client is going to play fraud things. Because he didn't put the second milestone to Escrow. You cannot say that because of this, I'm using upwork incorrectly.

But you did. You should have insisted on the client creating the milestone, and not submitted work before that. 

Are you saying to come out of the upwork network and work. You may be doing like that so that you don't have to give the commission to upwork. But I don't like to work outside upwork. If I prefer upwork, definitely I will work inside the upwork platform.

Hi Vineetha,

We provide secure tools for clients and freelancers to communicate directly from the Upwork platform. Once a freelancer accepts a client’s offer, you can choose to share your contact information and use other tools to manage your project, too. We always recommend that users should be cautious when sharing any sensitive or personal information with anyone they do not know. Learn more about best practices for online safety here.

In general, please make sure that you have an active funded milestone on your Fixed-price contract before you start working. That way the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Please check this help article to learn more about the Fixed-Priced Protection.

I would like to let you know that you can report any suspicious activity in freelance profiles, portfolios, job postings, or the Upwork Message Center. Here's how to send a flag.

You may also want to check these help articles for more information: 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Vineetha V wrote:

Are you saying to come out of the upwork network and work. You may be doing like that so that you don't have to give the commission to upwork. But I don't like to work outside upwork. If I prefer upwork, definitely I will work inside the upwork platform.

You can work any way you want to, but you have to be paid on upwork. The rule is about payment, not about how you do your work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths