Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract process for a new freelancer

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 14

@Ryan B wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.  I will call him out on it.  Have a great day.

Ryan,

It may be that the client is also new and does not know how things work, so I wouldn't "call him out on it".

Before any more bidding or interviews, you may find it useful to read up on how contracts and getting paid works. There's plenty of good info and this is a good start: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

It will also help you to look at all the menus/submenus on your account page to acquaint yourself of where everything is located.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 14

If you really want to blow your mind with useful information... Go into your account settings and set up a company account, so that you can be a client.

Click on your name on the upper-right hand side of the Upwork web page...

[Your Name] -> Settings -> Create a company

By "creating a company" you enable yourself to hire freelancers as a client. (Don't worry, you don't really need to own a company, and don't really create a "company", by the way.)

As a client, you can see the interface the way clients see it. Try posting a simple job, hiring somebody, receiving the work, and closing the contract. Then you'll have a complete picture of what things are like for a client.

brunwardo
Ryan B Member Since: Apr 4, 2018
13 of 14

Thank you for this feedback!

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 14

The only reason I am skeptical right now on my first potential project is the job was posted as hourly, but we worked out a per word payment agreement that I couldn't alter because the job was set up as an hourly rate.

Be careful with how the terms are set up in the contract.

If the contract is set up by the client as hourly, then you need to download, install, open and use Time tracker and write notes on the screen shots it takes. For hourly contracts a clients account needs to be verified BEFORE you start working. And, for hourly jobs, you're paid for the hours you log, NOT for the number of words you type.

If the contract is set as a fixed rate, then you will be paid for the number of words you type. For fixed rate jobs, make sure the clients account is verified, and escrow is FULLY funded for the ENTIRE amount you want to be paid BEFORE you start work.